Junk Cars
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Junk Cars

Junk Cars

How does a person sale a car without a title for scrap. The state is cracking down on this most likely they think they are missing some taxs money. But they say to crack down on stolen cars. It is hard to get info on howto do it legal when I ask it is like I am wasting their time. I have hauld scrap Iron and old cars and helped clean up alot of propertes. I dont make alot of money and I have lost money on more than one job but I like to do it and I like to see places cleaned up. But it is going to get to the point were it is to much goverment control.

Re: Junk Cars

By reading the LAWS for your State, no matter what it takes to get a print copy. Don't ask on the phone, ask in person and check online.

Abandoned vehicle removal regulations would apply. Towing companies know them, but they have lots to hang onto them for the requisite time.

High scrap prices mean it's profitable if you do it right, but if your area actually requires a title then the vehicle needs to be run through the process.

Many scrap yards will crush anything old or ugly, so finding one would solve the problem.

If you aren't doing it for profit it's useless to do it. Spotting vehicles for commercial scrappers would make more sense.

The last car I hauled in was in my dads name. The scrap yard wouldn't take it without a title signed by the owner even though they new me (I used to work there). I ended up getting the title signed and mailed to me. They did say that a crushed car or one with the top removed could be accepted. It was easier for me to wait for the title.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

Here in my county... I can have cars inspected and tagged for hulk recycling for free. Simply fill out a form, the inspector tags the cars, the hulk hauler pays me cash.

http://lewiscountywa.gov/attachment/...equestForm.pdf

Maybe your county/state does something similar. No cutting required.

The places that I sell to in Mo will not take a car with out a title. Thiey will not take a peice of a frame , a front clip ,fire wall,a part of a pickup cab or something that could have a serial number on itWith out a title and you are not to have a car on your place or haul a car without a title. They can and have been with proper paper work comeing on to peoples land and checking.

I remember a report a few years back in Philly about "renegade" towing companies. In theory they are supposed to tow and hold "abandoned" vehicles for 60 day IIRC and try to get in touch with the owners. These guys would go out and tow any old junky looking vehicle straight to the crusher for the scrap price. Once crushed and shreaded, there was no way of knowing what happened to the vehicles. The scrap guys and the towing guys knew the game... A bunch got caught in a sting, but there was a lot of people who were left with no vehicles and no way to get any compensation for the theft. Around then they started really cracking down on scrap vehicles with no titles, and I know several places that simply stopped taking old cars to avoid the hassles that were involved with all the extra paper work that resulted from the hue and cry.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

cut enough off so they will take it..

dor.mo.gov/forms/Abandoned_Vehicle_Manual.pdf

dor.mo.gov/forms/5227.pdf

I will have to find out how to get salvage titles or only buy cars with titles. I was at scrap yard and a guy pulled on scales he had about 2 feet of frame on heis load they ask if he had title to it. They rejected his load. The trailer Bob told guy to junk looks to be made of car frames it would be rejected here,

Thanks Farmall I will look into this.

Yeah... What was one man's old-junk car, scrapped without a title, is a phone call to the police away from becoming: what-was another man's valuable easily restoreable classic, with title.

Not worth it.
    Last edited by denrep; 02-16-2012 at 09:23 PM.

i usually gave them a good once over with a cat330
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

The title thing is sort of double edged sword. Years ago they started here with the 'no scrap without a title' thing so folks were just dragging the dern things out on the county road and leaving them .. Let the state &/or county take care of it then. Didn't take much of that before they decided you could scrap a vehicle without a title. If it's a complete car all they have to do is file for a junk title. If it's cut up nobody gives a crap.

Scrappers are cleaning up the area quick now. You put the word out you have a car you want scrapped you'll have three or four guys fighting over it.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Plenty of ad's here that say this...

Name:  Ad's 001.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  Ad's 002.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  Ad's 003.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  120.2 KB

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

I have figured out that keeping everyone happy is nearly impossible but pissing people off is easy and fun.

Here in Ohio they are supposed to be very strict about no title no scrap. Don't know from personal experiance if that is true or not. But I do know that the bigger scrap places won't take a car without the title for sure. Instead of solving real crimes they like to do stings on stuff like this. Much easier.
    Russ
    RIP Mallory, we miss you.

It another one of those deals wear people got the goverment to make it hard to make a dollar. Its will get more and more tuffer to sell junk cars and scrap Iron because guys steling it or not paying taxes on it. I dont like the state or fedral goverment controling my every move But it usely can becase of people screwing things up and they see a way to get more tax money.

Chopped cars are common enough that some restrictions are in order. Know the rules and go make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The title thing is sort of double edged sword. Years ago they started here with the 'no scrap without a title' thing so folks were just dragging the dern things out on the county road and leaving them .. Let the state &/or county take care of it then. Didn't take much of that before they decided you could scrap a vehicle without a title. If it's a complete car all they have to do is file for a junk title. If it's cut up nobody gives a crap.

Scrappers are cleaning up the area quick now. You put the word out you have a car you want scrapped you'll have three or four guys fighting over it.
    I'm not sure about cars, but when our county moved the landfill 15 miles south of town and started charging to use the 'convenience centers', the whole county filled up with trash. Now you can dump all you want, free, except for tires. More than 6 tires in one load, it costs $1.00 a tire. If you make multiple trips, they are free.

While I never did dump out in the county, I could easily see this coming. Our elected commissioners didn't see it at all. Big surprise.

Around here there is no title required. You fill out a transfer of ownership form with the vin and other info and the vin# has to be legible on the vehicle.
    Miller millermatic 251
    Miller aircrafter 330st, wp20
    1961 Lincoln SA200
    Ellis 1600 bandsaw
    Logan 820 lathe
    South Bend 13"
    Bridgeport M Head

My brother signed a title in the wrong spot they wont take it now.I heard they are going to make you have to show were you are geting scrap Iron from. Know matter what it is.

Dang Doug, Missouri is starting to sound like Illinois
    Safety 3rd
    Gump