Lincoln AC225C
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Lincoln AC225C

Lincoln AC225C

I was able to get a "new style" AC225c Lincoln - Model K1357

It is not the same as the tombstone - but is it "good enough" for general work, 1/4" and under - probably angle iron and tubing and that in the 1/8" range?

I understand I can weld 1" with this thing - just smaller beads and more passes.

Also, can I run 1/16" at the low end - or is it still too much for the small rod?

I can probably re-sell it to get something better, but it would only be marginally better as I don't require a really good machine for the stuff I am planning to do.

It is 225V - 50amp service

So, good deal or not - at $150?

Yup, stick is messy and makes more clean-up work - but.........

Re: Lincoln AC225C

$150 is on the high end of what I see locally for used Lincoln 225AC's usually. They tend to run $100-150 for the actual Lincolns, and the Centrury, Craftsmans, Montgomery Wards AC units run down to about $50 or so if you are lucky.

The price isn't bad, and chances are you'll likely be able to recover most if not all your money later if you choose to sell it.

I'm not sure exactly how low those go off the top of my head, but you can definitely go down to rods as small as 5/64" if you want/ need to. The ability to do heavy stuff will depend more on your skills than the abilities of the machine. A good machine isn't going to make up for lots of bad welds.

Many guys prefer to go with AC/DC machines, but tons of nice projects have been made over the years with AC only units. If the price fits your budget, go for it.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the reply

The main reason for this post was that I don't know anything about this particular welder (AC225c Lincoln - Model K1357). The tombstones - yes, great units.

Don't know if I should keep it or get something else like it because it "doesn't live up to expectations" overall - or has some inherent quirks that are a real nuisance.

Can't "check it out" to its full capacity till I get the wiring in.

Democratic People's Republic of North Koreafornia

JAWO.....(Just Another Worthless Opinion) here:

I LOVE my Lincoln AC/DC-225 welder. I know yours is an AC only model, but I find I actually weld more with AC. My friend who is a professional welder by trade has taught me how to weld with "AC" only and for home/farm projects, it works great. For one, I never worry about "arc blow back" using AC. I just put the ground clamp whereever I need it. With DC settings, I try to put the clamp in line and at the direct end of my weld bead I plan on making.

Yes I know that DC produces a "smoother" arc, (blah blah blah) but in the hands of a skilled welder, he/she can make some nice welds with AC only. Also, I'm NOT a professional that makes my livlihood by welding. If I was a pro, yes then I'd be more concerned with having the option of DC stick welding handy.

For home, art, hobby welding, AC has suited me just fine. As a previous poster said, it's not so much the machine as it is the guy under the helmet doing the welding. For a DIY home welder, the Lincoln at a great price will suit your needs.

Some things I made with my stick welder (on AC settIng) and no "classroom/tech school" training are: Go-Kart frame, welding table, hitch receiver on my GMC Sierra pic-up, to tow a 7,000 trailer, lawn art, reactive shooting targets.

(Disclaimer: with my hitch receiver, I had my welding friend hold my hand and supervisemy welding on that project. I wanted to ensure that the welds were safe and done com
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

Life member: NRA

Democratic People's Republic of North Koreafornia

JAWO.....(Just Another Worthless Opinion) here:

I LOVE my Lincoln AC/DC-225 welder. I know yours is an AC only model, but I find I actually weld more with AC. My friend who is a professional welder by trade has taught me how to weld with "AC" only and for home/farm projects, it works great. For one, I never worry about "arc blow back" using AC. I just put the ground clamp whereever I need it. With DC settings, I try to put the clamp in line and at the direct end of my weld bead I plan on making.

Yes I know that DC produces a "smoother" arc, (blah blah blah) but in the hands of a skilled welder, he/she can make some nice welds with AC only. Also, I'm NOT a professional that makes my livlihood by welding. If I was a pro, yes then I'd be more concerned with having the option of DC stick welding handy.

For home, art, hobby welding, AC has suited me just fine. As a previous poster said, it's not so much the machine as it is the guy under the helmet doing the welding. For a DIY home welder, the Lincoln at a great price will suit your needs.

Some things I made with my stick welder (on AC settIng) and no "classroom/tech school" training are: Go-Kart frame, welding table, hitch receiver on my GMC Sierra pic-up, to tow a 7,000 trailer, lawn art, reactive shooting targets.

(***Disclaimer: with my hitch receiver, I had my welding friend hold my hand and supervise my welding on that project. I wanted to ensure that the welds were safe and done right. We worked on that project together with my Lincoln set on AC with me doing 90% of the actual welding and 100% of the metal prep. Again, I'm NOT a professional).

If the guy is asking for $150 for that welder, offer him $100. He might just come down in price. I found a NIB Lincoln AC/DC-225 model on Craig's list offered at $550. I offered the guy $300 and we settled on $325. That is why i did NOT buy a new Hobart or Miller of relatively the same class welder at a much higher price. I couldn't beat $325 for an unopened brand new Lincoln AC/DC model.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

Life member: NRA

Thanks again for the posts.

So, the welder is itself a pretty decent one. That's good.

Nolalu (near Thunder Bay) Ontario, Canada

Nice machine. Infinitely variable. Not tapped settings. You likely will find that AC is all you really need for home/hobby welding.
    Gordie -- "I believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Back in the old days the average guy had 2 welders, Oxy-Acet and a limited input AC welder. Now almost no one welds with Oxy-Acet and very few are of the opinion that a limited input AC machine is even worth buying.
    Kind of like cars now a days, if it doesn't have ABS Brakes, Air Conditioning and a CD Player, its not worth buying.
    In the old days your Dad and Uncles/Buddies hung out in the garage smoking non-filtered Camels and Lucky Strikes working on Cars, sanding and painting with a hankerchief over there nose if at all, They lived into their 80's.
    Now people are all concerned about making sure they have the Best in Safety Equipment and the newest and Greatest Tools.
    I grew up on Hobarts and Lincolns, Miller was a luxory, you only saw DC on the local Welder Service truck and that was a Lincoln 4 cylinder.
    This life we live of "Being Better than the Guy across the Street" and the Government Regulating our Lives is ridiculous!
    Its my opinion on what I read and see on various Forums.
    drujinin