Hobart handler 190 Spool Gun setup
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hobart handler 190 Spool Gun setup

Hi folks, I was thinking of upgrading my Northern Industrial mig 135 to the new Hobart Handler 190 with spool gun. My question is about the spool gun. I have seen several demos on seting up spool guns where the wire must be cut from the drive roller inside the welder and the complete torch removed and then replaced with the spool gun. Is this the case with the Handler 190 or does it plug into a different receptacle? I would hate to know that I would have to cut my wire and rethread it every time I needed to use the spool gun for a second. I was hoping someone here would have played with one of these machines and could let me know how it works. Thanks for any info, Jason.

Re: Hobart handler 190 Spool Gun setup

Quote Originally Posted by jhogan2424 View Post
    Hi folks, I was thinking of upgrading my Northern Industrial mig 135 to the new Hobart Handler 190 with spool gun. My question is about the spool gun. I have seen several demos on seting up spool guns where the wire must be cut from the drive roller inside the welder and the complete torch removed and then replaced with the spool gun. Is this the case with the Handler 190 or does it plug into a different receptacle? I would hate to know that I would have to cut my wire and rethread it every time I needed to use the spool gun for a second. I was hoping someone here would have played with one of these machines and could let me know how it works. Thanks for any info, Jason.
    I looked at the 190 with spool gun, I settled on the one without (can add later) they do plug into the same hole, so yes, cutting required. odds are if your going from steel to aluminum, its swapping gas as well unless you are running flux for steel. (not sure how straight argon welds on steel but it wouldn't be very affordable)
    Hobart Handler 190
    Century 90amp on Flux
    Craftsman 200amp buzzbox

I have a Hobart 190 with a spool gun. I don't cut the wire, I just roll it back onto the spool (saves the wire). As for the gas I have two tanks on my cart with a "Y" valve so I can turn each tank off and on. It works great with no problems.

The Hobart 190 is on my purchase list in the next couple of weeks when it goes on sale. Since this is a new model, I would appreciate any good, bad or otherwise helpful info regarding this model that anyone would care to share. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reveille View Post
    The Hobart 190 is on my purchase list in the next couple of weeks when it goes on sale. Since this is a new model, I would appreciate any good, bad or otherwise helpful info regarding this model that anyone would care to share. Thanks
    The Handler 190 is actually the same machine as the Handler 187 the only difference being that the circuitry for running a spool gun was added to the Handler 190. The Handler 187 had a 4 to 5 year production run.
    ESAB Migmaster 250
    MM 210
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    HH125EZ - nice little fluxcore only unit
    PM 180C

Maxstar 150 STH - very nice

Thanks Dan.
    Farm & Fleet is running a special late April and offering the 190 for $599. I plan on buying it with a F&F credit card and getting an extra 10% off my 1st purchase. The spoolgun I will buy off Amazon for $200 after. I already have 2 bottles sitting in the shop waiting for the 190 to show up. I am stoked to be blessed with a mig welder again. It has been 20 years without. The old Lincoln AC225 is probably gonna be collecting dust soon.

Anyone else have this setup or just the 190 itself? Im debating on this welder myself but with spool gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
    Anyone else have this setup or just the 190 itself? Im debating on this welder myself but with spool gun.
    +1.

In another 9 days I will have my grubby hands on one so I will let you know then.

Picked the 190 up yesterday on sale for $599. Setup was a snap and it began laying down nice welds quickly. Here are some examples...be gentle with me. This is with .30 solid wire using 75/25 mixed gas.

I also bought the spoolrunner and I have Argon but I have not had a chance to fire it up.
    Last edited by Reveille; 04-25-2012 at 10:52 PM.