Hey Reebs... hydrostatic tester for soda bottle rockets
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hey Reebs... hydrostatic tester for soda bottle rockets

So several years ago my son and I spent a Saturday building a soda bottle rocket Iaucher and I posted some pictures to Reebs thread: weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=46678 Ever since that thread I have really wanted to do some hydrostatic testing of some pop bottles. I know from experience that most let go someplace between 175 and 200 psi. But I really wanted to be able to play. I have looked at commercial testers like Wheeler-Rex that do 300 psi and 1000 psi but they are a bit more than I wanted to spend for a "toy".
    http://www.wheelerrex.com/wheeler-re...g-page-28.html

So a while ago I recall seeing someone that had made an injector tester from a cheap hydraulic jack... and I thought that may work... so a few minutes reading and I was ready to start building. http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/DieselInjectorTester

Being that I have a lathe and such I decided to improve on the design a little.

Pic1 open the jack with a big wrench
    Pic2 drain all the oil
    Pic3 turn a part that is 21.95mm for about 25mm (1 inch) then step up to 23.95mm for about 50mm (2 inches). The length of the second part could be as long as the bore. You just need to ensure the seal is below the relief hole. Test fitting the top.
    Pic4 drill 5/16" hole clean through.
    Pic5 tap for 1/8" NPT

I didn't get a picture after I cut the groove for the snap ring. More pictures coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Hey Reebs... hydrostatic tester for soda bottle rockets

Some more build pictures.

Pic1 Parted off the part, flipped it, and machined the bottom face.
    Pic2 Nearly completed part.
    Pic3 Put the part in the indexer and machined a 19mm hex. This will make assembly a lot easier. Yeah, I know I really need a set of metric collets.
    Pic4 Installed the pressure gauge and fittings.
    Pic5 The complete unit installed with a length of hydraulic hose to the launcher.

Here are the last of the photos for tonight. I only had enough time to set one soda bottle this morning. I wasn't able to get all the air out of the bottle so it popped a little more than expected. I'll setup to film some videos during the week if I have time.

Pic1 Bottle popped the label at around 180 psi. This photo is at 190 psi. I was suprise how much water it took on as it grew... I also appear to stretch... it would lose psi but now water.

Pic2 Burst as 200 psi.

Pic 3 The bottle. I was surprised that it split all the way down the neck.

This week I'll weld on a hose fitting so I can so larger bottles faster. I also need to bleed off the air more completely. Let the fun begin.

So I had a few things to do at the shop late tonight so I decided to make the 1/8 NPT bung to replace the rubber fill stopper while I was there. This will allow more water to be added and if plumbed to a graduated measure will allow to monitor and record the expansion.

More pics... nothing special.

Pic1 Started with a 7/8" drop. Turned to diameter, drilled and tapped. Parted off.
    Pic2 Put on indexer and cut the 19mm hex (quick because I was already setup from this morning).
    Pic3 Bored the 24mm radius to match the housing.
    Pic4 Finished radius.
    Pic5 Mocked up part. I'll disassemble everything and weld it up on Monday.

Looks Fun!

You should be able to test air compressor tanks with that also. Its real similer to my purchased Hydro tester except mine goes up to I think 2000 lbs. Mac

Man you must be having fun! Nothing wrong with that!

Lincoln 305G
    Lincoln 100 Weldpak
    Assortment of Victor, Smith and Harris Torches

Dont Worry About the Mule-
    Load the Wagon!
    Lincoln 305G
    Union Carbide Torch

Don't Worry About the Mule~
    Load the Wagon!

Quote Originally Posted by Novaboy66 View Post
    Looks Fun!
    Oh yeah... evil

Quote Originally Posted by Tool Maker View Post
    You should be able to test air compressor tanks with that also. Its real similer to my purchased Hydro tester except mine goes up to I think 2000 lbs.
    This is a 2 ton jack. The bore is 24mm... we'll call it an inch for easy math. The area is 0.78". Force/Area=PSI so 4000lbs/0.78"=5128 PSI. I don't think I'll be taking it anywhere near 5000 psi.

Most injectors open between 1500 and 2000 psi... so it's clear it can do the pressure. My gauge is 1000 psi and was the only one they had at Napa. More than enough to test anything I have around here.

My purpose for building this test rig is purely educational... although I imagine now that I have a tester... I'll find some good uses. I have wanted to put together a visible demonstration comparing the use of hydrostatic testing vs air testing. Pop bottles should provide a relatively safe small scale demonstration.

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    My purpose for building this test rig is purely educational... although I imagine now that I have a tester... I'll find some good uses. I have wanted to put together a visible demonstration comparing the use of hydrostatic testing vs air testing. Pop bottles should provide a relatively safe small scale demonstration.
    I think you've been watching too much "Mythbusters"...I know I have.

Be sure to put some styrofoam bodies or action figures around the bottles when you blow them up both with water and with air so we can see the fragmentation patterns and blast damage. Video would be cool as well... After all what's the fun in testing a good myth if you can't watch something blow up?

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Finished the pump this morning. Welded on the bung and installed the garden hose adapter. Added the tire valve back into the system so I can charge it with air if I want to. I have way too much time into this toy.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I think you've been watching too much "Mythbusters"...I know I have.

Be sure to put some styrofoam bodies or action figures around the bottles when you blow them up both with water and with air so we can see the fragmentation patterns and blast damage. Video would be cool as well... After all what's the fun in testing a good myth if you can't watch something blow up?
    Yeah maybe. I didn't put any action figures around the blast zone. The video doesn't really do the report justice... it is loud... but it was being filmed with my dive camera and I imagine the case is blocking some of the sound. I didn't expect to have help when I filmed... but a couple friends dropped by to borrow an extension cord... and decided to play for a little. After the second bottle explosion the neighbor down the alley threatened to call the cops. The hydrostatic test went off without anyone noticing... nice and quiet.

We'll take it out to the farm later in the week and do some more bottles. Maybe some 1 liter and 2 liter for comparison.

Here's the video. Enjoy!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETU_LnFsUpc[/ame]

And here's a launch for reference.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t6SMOyxWAI[/ame]

Fantastic
    I just caught the thread. When the bottle lets go ..... It lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
    Fantastic
    I just caught the thread. When the bottle lets go ..... It lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought you'd find it interesting. Even more interesting is that the green bottles out performed the clear bottles by about 20 psi. Below I've attached a photo of two tests side by side. The upper bottle separated into three parts as a result of air expansion. The explosion was powerful and loud. The bottom is a result of the hydrostatic test. I suspect in both cases the side split first. The hydrostatic test ripped open with more force than I expected. I believe this is due to the stretched material... similar to a balloon. The bottles expand by at least 30%. Now the question is which soft drink bottle has the strongest bottles. Anyone care to guess?

I wish you would have come up with this earlier. I threw out a fairly new 20 ton jack with a swelled up cylinder. That wouldn't have made any difference for something like this.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

Neat build, Forhire.
    Good job!

I wonder if a high-pressure "long range" missile could be made by wrapping the barrel with something like fiberglass reinforced tape?

Has anybody tried CO2 propellant?

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 02-21-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks for sharing
    Next year when we build rockets I will have the kids put the green on the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    I wish you would have come up with this earlier. I threw out a fairly new 20 ton jack with a swelled up cylinder. That wouldn't have made any difference for something like this.
    It happens every time... you clean out the shop, send a bunch of junk to the scrap yard... and then you really wish you still had the scrap. I was surpised home simple the jack was to disassemble and work on. For some reason I expected it to be more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    I wonder if a high-pressure "long range" missile could be made by wrapping the barrel with something like fiberglass reinforced tape?

Has anybody tried CO2 propellant?
    Thanks. A quick search of Google reveled there are some guys that have done some 300 psi rockets.
    http://www.aircommandrockets.com/day91.htm
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7TuvMw2xyU[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
    Thanks for sharing
    Next year when we build rockets I will have the kids put the green on the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!
    I doubt it has anything to do with the color as much as the thickness and the shape of the bottle. I suspect that if you carefully weigh the bottles you'll find some that are heavier and possibly stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Here are the last of the photos for tonight. I only had enough time to set one soda bottle this morning. I wasn't able to get all the air out of the bottle so it popped a little more than expected. I'll setup to film some videos during the week if I have time.

Pic1 Bottle popped the label at around 180 psi. This photo is at 190 psi. I was suprise how much water it took on as it grew... I also appear to stretch... it would lose psi but now water.

Pic2 Burst as 200 psi.

Pic 3 The bottle. I was surprised that it split all the way down the neck.

This week I'll weld on a hose fitting so I can so larger bottles faster. I also need to bleed off the air more completely. Let the fun begin.
    Bottle stretching with no increase in applied psi (psi goes down as bottle expands) is 'classic' yielding of the material. In this case the plastic.

IIRC, the 'seam' on the bottle is usually not really an actual seam, but rather the mold parting line. Plastic blow-molded bottles are usually made by taking a lump of plastic and forming it into a kind of 'test-tube' size/shape with the threaded end. After that stage is done, then the bottle "pre-form" is then re-heated and put in to a different mold/die and 'inflated' to the desired size/shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blow_molding

See the section on "Stretch blow molding".

Next, although the 'seam' is not a real 'seam', it is still a "stress riser" or stress concentration . Hence, failure is more likely to occur there.

Also, the blow-molding process can't really control the wall thickness (see wiki article above). Slightly varying wall thickness also intoduces another variable and a potential weakness in the wall.

YMMV.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Had a 16 ounce Sprite with lunch yesterday. It bottle felt thicker than the top performing Sierra Mist bottles. Figured I'd put one to the test. Ruptured at 200 psi. I didn't even get wet.

have you considered using the lathe and some PVC to build a nozzle? Something still light, but maybe a 1/4" hole to reduce the thrust, but lengthen the time of the thrust.. I bet you could get a lot more height with some trial and error on the hole size!
    miller syncrowave 250
    hobart handler 140
    home made 400 amp engine driven in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by jdchmiel View Post
    have you considered using the lathe and some PVC to build a nozzle? Something still light, but maybe a 1/4" hole to reduce the thrust, but lengthen the time of the thrust.. I bet you could get a lot more height with some trial and error on the hole size!
    A nozzle would definitely give the rocket some more distance. The launcher I'm using now wouldn't accommodate a nozzle without serious modification. I don't use the launcher very often... and I must admit right now "testing" is a lot more fun than launching them.

Cool post. Those rockets look like fun!

I flinched every time
    Sure, I can fix it... I got a welder!!!