Hypertherm Thermal dynamics
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hypertherm Thermal dynamics

Hi guys just bought a new powermax 65 the one everybody said i should get but i could have bought a cutmaster 102 for 400 dollars less. did i make the right choice by paying more for a smaller machine and not saving 400 bucks???

Re: Hypertherm Thermal dynamics

I'm not sure what you paid for the PM65 but everywhere I looked the PM65 is about $400-500 less than the Cutmaster 102. I just bought a PM 85 and only paid $100 more than I would have for the 102.

i paid 2500 for the pm65 could have bought a cutmaster 102 for 2100.

I think you might have paid a little too much for the PM 65 and I can't find a CM102 for as cheap as you listed. I love the Hypertherms but for $400 I would have been tempted to go with the 102...especially if you aren't in a production setting where you will see savings in consumables. You will love the 65 so just let it go and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by cavedweller29 View Post
    I think you might have paid a little too much for the PM 65 and I can't find a CM102 for as cheap as you listed. I love the Hypertherms but for $400 I would have been tempted to go with the 102...especially if you aren't in a production setting where you will see savings in consumables. You will love the 65 so just let it go and use it.
    ^^^ this.

I just baught a brand new pm65 two weeks ago with 50ft leads for $2325 either way it's an awesome machine and your gonna be happy with it so I would worry about it.

Suggested list for a Cutmaster 102 is $3675, the suggested list for a Powermax65 is around $2800 with 25' leads. You got a good deal on the 65.....and you will not regret it. It uses far less input power, uses far less consumables....is easier to use, and will operate on any voltage between 200 volts and 600 volts, single or three phase. It is built entirely in the USA as well!

If you ever have any questions...I am here to help out!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by rockchopper86 View Post
    ^^^ this.

I just baught a brand new pm65 two weeks ago with 50ft leads for $2325 either way it's an awesome machine and your gonna be happy with it so I would worry about it.

I meant to put i wouldn't worry about it. Mine is awesome and Id recommend it to anybody

Hard to tell really. I have owned Power Max 600, 800 and Now I have a 1250. They cut OK but the Hypertherm torches are Junk on these units. Crappy parts life, Safety Switch issues, They collect spatter where the nozzle screws on and the Board life is not the best.Uncomfortable to use. Everyone blows off about the Hyperthems but they are no better than any other unit out there. I wont buy a new one that's for sure. I'm currently researching my options. Miller has a good power supply but they get that crappy 15 year old Ice Torch from Hypertherm and the consumable parts suck for life and cost. I'm looking ant everything and anything other than a Hypertherm or Miller. Some of you still think Hypertherm makes all of the components in the Plasmas. That's so cute. They buy most of the parts. I took the cover off of my 1250 and there were parts from all over the fricken planet in there. Wake up people. Made entirely in USA has been over for years.

What would you recommend? Everlast?
    Leo

If the hat fit......

Last edited by OldSkull; 03-15-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    Miller MM211
    Duck tape
    Ty- rap
    Kool-aid

One man's opinion, but personally think he's full of crap.

I've owned/own both a Powermax 600 and a Powermax 1250 and they have both been excellent, trouble free machines.

Poster is way off base with regards to consumable life. Nobody, and I say NOBODY has better consumable life in a hand held plasma cutter. Maybe the poster is feeding his with a water hose or doesn't think he needs air filtration/drying.

Hypertherm has NEVER (not Jim or the company) claimed that every part/component was made in the US. The specifications for the parts are developed in the US. Testing of the parts (before they go into the machines) is done in the US. Warrany/problems are handled in the US (for US consumers). Replacement parts are stocked in the US.

Sounds like a big mouth blowhard who has an ax to grind with Hypertherm. The comment about torches was the dead giveaway. Show me a better torch on any plasma cutter.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

I don't have an AX to grind with anyone. All I am saying is that the 3 units I have used in my shop have been less than stellar. Can't say I will buy another one. You obviously enjoy your Rose Colored Glasses with Blinders attached. It's perfectly normal for people to defend the things they own, Usually because they don't know any better.

Well he can rest assured that if he buys a new Miller....he won't get a Hypertherm torch. They started using a torch produced in Czechoslovakia as a cost saving measure!

Jim

I will give my thoughts and opinions as well on Hypertherms machines. I use a 45 and have pushed it well above any rated material limits and it has performed excellent. my machine is used on a service truck as well in our fab shop and sees some tough and nasty conditions , and consumable life is great . When it is used on heavy equipment repair and still performs , then it has to be a very well built machine. I will say THE MOST important thing is a good air filter, without it the consumables dont hold up as well , but this pertains to any plasma cutter, clean air is a must. You have a very dependable machine and after using it a little you will realize you spent your money wisely. Congratulations.

I suspect that that the machines that Burnit2 refers to probably have not been maintained or operated as they should be. Likely any machines under those conditions they will not perform as they were designed if not used as intended. Regardless....if the machines are giving him issues I'll be happy to help him sort them out....as will our tech service department. Or....maybe they will sell them on the used market and someone will score some nice used machines at a great price!

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp rat View Post
    I will give my thoughts and opinions as well on Hypertherms machines. I use a 45 and have pushed it well above any rated material limits and it has performed excellent. my machine is used on a service truck as well in our fab shop and sees some tough and nasty conditions , and consumable life is great . When it is used on heavy equipment repair and still performs , then it has to be a very well built machine. I will say THE MOST important thing is a good air filter, without it the consumables dont hold up as well , but this pertains to any plasma cutter, clean air is a must. You have a very dependable machine and after using it a little you will realize you spent your money wisely. Congratulations.

After rereading burnit2's post, the thing that kept jumping out at me was...

If he's so unimpressed with the performance of the Hypertherm units, why the heck did he keep buying more of them (600, 800, 1250)?

From burnit2's other posts, he makes himself out to be some "welding god". In fact, in a post on 2/12/12 he commented, "I used to work for a distributor and sold a bazillion of these (Presto Weld 130) in the late 80's.

I wonder if he went looking for a job with Hypertherm and was rejected.

Sorry if my post is taken as rude, but when a company (Hypertherm) provides me with quality tools and then stands behind them like Hypertherm does, I feel a responsibility to stand up for them.

PS. When a tool doesn't perform to my expectations, I sure as heck don't go out and buy a bunch more of them. Burn me once--your fault. Burn me twice--my fault.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250

Quote Originally Posted by burnit2 View Post
    Hard to tell really. I have owned Power Max 600, 800 and Now I have a 1250. They cut OK but the Hypertherm torches are Junk on these units. Crappy parts life, Safety Switch issues, They collect spatter where the nozzle screws on and the Board life is not the best.Uncomfortable to use. Everyone blows off about the Hyperthems but they are no better than any other unit out there. I wont buy a new one that's for sure. I'm currently researching my options. Miller has a good power supply but they get that crappy 15 year old Ice Torch from Hypertherm and the consumable parts suck for life and cost. I'm looking ant everything and anything other than a Hypertherm or Miller. Some of you still think Hypertherm makes all of the components in the Plasmas. That's so cute. They buy most of the parts. I took the cover off of my 1250 and there were parts from all over the fricken planet in there. Wake up people. Made entirely in USA has been over for years.
    I agree with Sundown about the motive for this post, just based on the tone and the insults in the last paragraph. He left out that his Hypotherm units use electricity that needs to be paid for, still need to be held rather than turning themselves on and doing the whole job themselves, and they don't even last forever. If he were serious and correct, more details about his problems and his care and use of the equipment would have gone much further in proving his point.

Seems reasonable that a company which sells worldwide would have factories in many countries and would make different things in each and that, rather than manufacturing everything, starting with the iron ore for the steel and the silicon for IC's, standard components would be purchased from existing suppliers with a known record of high quality.

In reading some of his previous posts, he seems to be quite knowledgeable about and a big proponent of Thermal Dynamics products. That could be part of his motive too. All I can say is that I'm very happy with my PM85.

This is too much.lol. You guys are making wayyy to much of my posts. If the 600, 800 and 1250 are the best out there then so be it. I am no expert. I stated my case and if it causes you Pain that's a pity. Maybe my expectations were just off a bit. I have a buyer for my 1250 and I do plan to run the new Hypertherm with the new style gun. So Shoot me for saying I will be trying out the ESAB and Thermal Plasmas too. I am not a proponent of anything. What a thin skin forum this is. : ) Oh and by the way, 2 Hyperthem Reps are friends of mine and they have listened to me complain too.

"Oh and by the way, 2 Hyperthem Reps are friends of mine and they have listened to me complain too."

hi, if your friends are Hyperthem Reps and you complained to them how come they are not working with you ?? With what you have in equipment and a real shop I would think they would come to your aid to keep you happy. Maybe they are your friends but you are not there's ???

burnit,

Your comments caused me to think back to an old saying a friend of mine once coined:

"Harold, don't stand there pissing on my boots, and tell me it's raining."
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250

At last. I solved my problem. I bought a good Used Thermal 1 Torch and got a free adaptor kit off e-bay. Installed it on my 1250 and MAN did that thing come alive. Cuts very good and now I will keep it. Thank heavens for options.

Oh, Mt HT Rep friends can do nothing to help with Board Issues and Safety Switches.

A lot of people like that old torch...hope it works out well for you! If you have board problems I'm pretty sure the torch won't help though!

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by burnit2 View Post
    At last. I solved my problem. I bought a good Used Thermal 1 Torch and got a free adaptor kit off e-bay. Installed it on my 1250 and MAN did that thing come alive. Cuts very good and now I will keep it. Thank heavens for options.

Oh, Mt HT Rep friends can do nothing to help with Board Issues and Safety Switches.

All I know is that when I had an issue with my 3 year old PM600, Hypertherm replaced it with a PM45. Try getting customer support like that from another company! Plus having Mr Colt on this sight is a real extra benefit! He responds to all technical questions and concerns no matter how how silly or technical they are.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
    Greg
    Weller Soldering Gun! YA!!!!
    Millermatic 210
    Hypertherm Powermax600
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Smith Torch Propane & Acetylene
    Snap On Tools!
    Snap On Tools!
    Even More Snap On Tools!
    Lots and Lots of Cool Guy Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Tracker View Post
    All I know is that when I had an issue with my 3 year old PM600, Hypertherm replaced it with a PM45. Try getting customer support like that from another company! Plus having Mr Colt on this sight is a real extra benefit! He responds to all technical questions and concerns no matter how how silly or technical they are.

Have a great weekend everyone!!
    Greg
    Ok, That is easy to type. They GAVE you a 45..you mean to say you actually had trouble with a Hypertherm..OMG. I have a 3 yr old 1250 in very nice condition lightly used that I am not happy with. Does anyone want to trade me for a 45? Jim?