What can I weld to make a little money?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What can I weld to make a little money?

Well, I love welding but I don't have much money, so I cant buy metal. I get some scrap stuff from my buddy sometimes. Ive been tryin to get a job to, its not really workin out.. so I figure if I can weld some stuff and make a little money doing it, i can do a little more welding, and not have to live off my parents as much. I know I wouldn't make much but its fun either way.. Id like some Ideas that I can sell on eBay or Craigslist or somethin? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Justin.

Re: What can I weld to make a little money?

art work, wall decor, benches, end tables, coffee tables, Mancave furniture, coat racks, etc. use your imagination. it's going to depend on the amount of materials you can get your hands on and what it is. And of course the tools you have.

There is an age old saying. "It takes money, to make money".

One thing to consider is getting a couple items out there that start selling than make sure that you let people know you do jobs to order and start figuring out what your materials/consumables cost and what your time is worth and charge that for the custom work.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Thanks, that helps. id write more but i gotta get off. ill write more later

BBQ pits, fishing rod holders for bank fishermen, make repairs to farm equipment(planting season coming up soon) fire place accessories like pokers, tongs, andirons/dogirons, ash shovels. Check with some mobile home dealers they may need someone to make temporary steps for the ones they sell, they are usually required to provide one set with each trailer they sell.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 02-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.

You can't compete with the cheap meskin crap on ebay. People can't see quality in an ebay picture.
    Two turn tables and a microphone.

Do a search I posted a bunch of pictures on this same topic last year.

Weld up a printing press. LOL make all the money you want.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

(2)Lincoln 225AC/DC portables, Miller Syncrowave 300, miller sidekick,Lincoln Idealarc 250,Miller 251 Mig, Miller 30A spool gun, Hende lathe, Horizontal bandsaw, pora band ,14FT enclosed trailer.SA200's

Skid plates for sport quads.... Lots of different models and ways you can design them to set yourself apart from others.... Not sure if you can weld aluminum, maybe something to look in to.

Welder I knew many years ago made a tripod that held a flower pot with a geranium in it.3/4 water pipe was plentiful on poultry farms.He made 3 legs from pipe.He had a hoop made to hold the flower pot and used light chain to hang the hoop.A name plate was made with sawtooth ends that the home owners could paint their name. on .The name plates were made in the same place that made the hoops for him.He used his brothers shop and tools to make the tripod.When he had a pick up load made up I drove him around in his brothers truck selling the tripods.Garden stores bought a lot of them and we sold a lot on weekends door to door.Big problem was when Wilton sold a couple he would want to stop and get cigaretts.He knew every bar room on the route.I ended up doing the selling the rest of the day.His brother paid me by the hour.Wilton was drunk and asleep when we got back to the farm.One big problem stuff made from scrap always looks like scrap.I have to have at least 300 bucks to buy lumber and hardware for the picnic tables I build.I start the last week of April and borrow cash from my wife to get started sometimes.You have to spend money to make money.My truck needs gas to haul lumber and deliver a table to buyers who dont have a truck.I have to buy lumber for 3 to 5 tables to keep profits in my pocket.There aint no free lunch.You will have to change your thinking to make money.

Check out www.etsy.com for a place to sell handmade items. I do wrought iron stuff on there and sold some stuff there. Pot racks, horseshoe nail crosses, ear ring holders, wall coat racks, and sometimes people will request custom items. My shop name is CRAFTBENDER. I have only four items on there right now but check out the sold items to see what other folks have purchased from me. Costs nothing to join, twenty cents to list an item. Etsy takes a very small % from your sale. You get to post five photos for each item. Easy way to show your stuff. Good luck!
    MILLER 330 AB/P
    MILLER GOLD STAR 130
    KUBOTA BX24
    CASE MINI HAY PRESS
    BENCH MILL
    HYPERTHERM 45
    BABY HOSSFELD

Thanks yall. really good ideas and info. where do yall suggest I buy supplies like metal? my dads got bout any tool i need. i got a welder and a grinder and cuttoff wheels. and anything i probably need.

little money.... little projects? lol

Spark plug men. :-)

yep little projects. lol

How about some of these? Pretty inexpensive to build and you could get AT LEAST $20 for one, maybe more depending on customer base.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All of these are made from scrapped metal. This is the post from an earlier thread.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=92001
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.
    -Cree Indian Proverb

SA 200 Lincoln
    Victor Torches

Here's a wall decoration I made as a Christmas gift for a family member. I'm not really that into making metal art or decorations but all the family really liked this and suggested I make more. Not really my thing though

All of the metal I used was left over scraps.

Bistineau, yea thats cool. how do you do the lighting?

Gizzard gutz, thats really amazing all that different stuff!

oatsy,lol guess ya shouldnta made it look so good ha

Quote Originally Posted by Catfisher View Post
    Well, I love welding but I don't have much money, so I cant buy metal. I get some scrap stuff from my buddy sometimes. Ive been tryin to get a job to, its not really workin out.. so I figure if I can weld some stuff and make a little money doing it, i can do a little more welding, and not have to live off my parents as much. I know I wouldn't make much but its fun either way.. Id like some Ideas that I can sell on eBay or Craigslist or somethin? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Justin.
    A quick way to make some ready cash is to do the following. I am assuming you can go portable. Drive around some fancy neighborhoods until you find some gates, and fences that need some fixin. And knock on the door and tell them you can fix their fence, and then fix it...
    Thank you....

Life is tough, tougher when your stupid...

2xMiller Matic 252
    Miller Passport
    SpoolMate 100
    Miller Dynasty 200dx
    Thermal Dynamics A80-mounted to PlasmaCam
    Thermal Dynamics 52-Portable
    Miller Trail Blazer 320

another good Idea! thanks yall.. i gotta buddy givin me some rebar, gonna get some pipe. and make some bank rod holders and probably a gaff. itll be a start anyways.

Rebar is excellent for making display shelves. The vendors here in Tombstone use it with southwest images welded on the sides and back then painted sotuhwestory colors...you know sand, tourqose[sp], mauve[sp]...all those colors guys do not consider colors.
    Thank you....

Life is tough, tougher when your stupid...

2xMiller Matic 252
    Miller Passport
    SpoolMate 100
    Miller Dynasty 200dx
    Thermal Dynamics A80-mounted to PlasmaCam
    Thermal Dynamics 52-Portable
    Miller Trail Blazer 320

Quote Originally Posted by Catfisher View Post
    Bistineau, yea thats cool. how do you do the lighting?

Gizzard gutz, thats really amazing all that different stuff!

oatsy,lol guess ya shouldnta made it look so good ha
    I welded a 1/4" pipe nipple to the top link and used a standard lamp socket screwed down to it. Check it out here http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=94911

Thanks ill try that

How about cages for ac units. That will be my first project whenever I get my first welding machine.
    Here in Dallas it is a problem with ac theft.