Power Factor Correction Caps
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Power Factor Correction Caps

I have just recieved a Hobart TF 300HF and it has the power factor correction Caps in it.I have not set up my power feed to this unit yet and was wondering what these capacitors due, do they lower the input amps for any given setting.

Re: Power Factor Correction Caps

In general, on a transformer-based welding machine these capacitors help cancel out the inductive reactance of the transformer winding with the result that:
    a) the welder draws about 20-30%% less power when welding at maximum output amperage, but
    b) the welder draws about 400% more power when sitting at idle (not welding).
    If you do a search here on power factor capacitors, you should find lot of info.
    One person on this site using a Lincoln Idealarc welder installed a switch to 'switch' the power factor capacitors in or out.
    Rick V

1 Airco Heliwelder 3A/DDR
    3 CTC 70/90 amp Stick/Tig Inverters in Parallel
    1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

If you are running near the max amps of your service,they will keep the breaker from throwing.
    Hobart T225
    HF 151/2 Cap mod
    HF 131/2 Cap mod
    Miller Cricket XL
    Century Portable Mig
    O/A

Quote Originally Posted by daverepair View Post
    I have just recieved a Hobart TF 300HF and it has the power factor correction Caps in it.I have not set up my power feed to this unit yet and was wondering what these capacitors due, do they lower the input amps for any given setting.
    Study Resonance of an electrical circuit. Then you will understand Power factor.
    Embrace theTea Party movement. Congress! Restore, Honor, and abide by the Constitution of the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by technoid View Post
    Study Resonance of an electrical circuit. Then you will understand Power factor.
    Here is a good article:

http://www.electrotek.com/pfactor.htm

Quote Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
    Excellent file! I saved it for future reference.
    Embrace theTea Party movement. Congress! Restore, Honor, and abide by the Constitution of the United States of America.