extending mig lead
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

extending mig lead

Has anyone ever extended the gun lead on a mig welder? Would be easy to do on mine. Just wondering if I will run into any issues.

Re: extending mig lead

might be good to add your machine and how far you wanna go may be easier to buy a gun with a longer whip again all dependent in what you got and what you wanna do
    350P 30A spool gun cut master 51 syncro 250 other stuff
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

The lead now is 5' I would like 8'-10'. Its an older Clarke so parts are a no go. Everything runs separate, power lead, trigger wire, liner, and gas line (valve in the handle). It would be really simple to extend and pretty cheap as well. Just didn't know if I would run into any weird voltage issues or anything by doubling the length or so.
    Last edited by Jr_vw2; 02-27-2012 at 02:58 PM.

You would be better off finding a longer whip that will fit your machine. Normally see sizes of 10, 12 and 15 foot.

you should be able to find a gun that will fit, They all pretty much use a few different connectors between all the brands, or at least close to a standard connector. You should be able to find something that fits. I would post up a few pictures of the machine end connector for the gun whip and see if anyone knows what it is

Quote Originally Posted by ironmangq View Post
    you should be able to find a gun that will fit, They all pretty much use a few different connectors between all the brands, or at least close to a standard connector. You should be able to find something that fits. I would post up a few pictures of the machine end connector for the gun whip and see if anyone knows what it is
    No connector everything is hard wired.

If you are talking about extending the power cord, you just need to look at the max current the welder draws and get a wire(power cord) of the correct size. Should not be a problem.