Exhaust welding, How to???
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Exhaust welding, How to???

Just wondering what kind of welding equipment one would need to weld exhaust, id like to put a new muffler on my truck, but rather than pay someone, is it possible to do it myself? I have a lincoln 135, also have access to other mig welders and various cutters/benders ETC.

Re: Exhaust welding, How to???

Most guys just blast away with a gas mig..
    But fluxcore will work too..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Mig works great. Just don't get too hot as you are working with rather thin tubing.
    Patriot Performance Auto
    Lincoln Power Mig 255C
    Lincoln AC-225 Stick
    Victor Journeyman O/A
    Quincy QT-5 Compressor

ok, do i seal all the way around the exhaust then, im gonna search around the web for some info.

Quote Originally Posted by lodogg89
    ok, do i seal all the way around the exhaust then, im gonna search around the web for some info.

Its either weld 360
    Or use a 360 clamp..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

this is about the only place I will weld down hill with a mig. You can get full penatration and a nice looking weld. .023 wire with C/25. I use an SP 100. Yeah, its the first little mig Lincoln came out with. Had it for ever and still works great. I always make sure it gets enough power. No extension cord or one heavy enough and plug it in to the plug under the breaker panel or my engine driven welder.

David

yea that 135 will work fine on it mig comes out pretty good on exhaust there really no reason for tig on it unless its a nice set of headers or something like that

If you are going to use fluxcore, try a stainless metal cored wire. I think that there are some made especially for welding exhaust systems. Ummmm...you might look into Fabcor 409....

So what's the best way to do it with a stick. 1/16" electrode? What type and technique?

Irish brewer. If its on the car, you will have no luck getting a 14" elecrode all the way around the exhaust. Its hard enough to fit a mig gun in there.

I know you can't braze exhaust. It gets hot then cold too many times and the braze cracks. Been there done that.

David
    Last edited by David R; 02-06-2007 at 09:39 PM.
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Quote Originally Posted by David R
    Irish brewer. If its on the car, you will have no luck getting a 14" elecrode all the way around the exhaust. Its hard enough to fit a mig gun in there.

I know you can't braze exhaust. It gets hot then cold too many times and the braze cracks. Been there done that.

David

before mig got so popular, stick was the way to go. take a 3/32 of what ever rod you want and get after it. for the tight places, you can bend the rod to fit. infact, it is easier to weld in tight places cause you can poke that rod in where the mig gun can't go. i have used 6011, 6013, 7014, and 7018, they all work. the easiest is gotta be the 6013 or the 7014 on exhaust tube.

O/A and a coat hanger.

Dont use a coat hanger.

I know many people may have used them with no problem in the past, but coat hangers are junk wire.
    Kemppi Pro Evolution 4200
    Kemppi 530 wire feed with MXE panel
    Cigweld TransTig 200 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PowerMax45
    CutSkill O/A setup
    Speedglas 9000x adflow
    Speedglas 9100xx
    2 Labs

All at home!

My experience is that you cannot buy the muffler and pipes cheaper than some of the muffler places will do the job. I have priced name brand muffler and pipes, and muffler shop was a little more than half of just the parts price. Mighty Muffler has been giving the best prices around here.

Quote Originally Posted by lodogg89 View Post
    If you DIY, make darn sure your weld DOES SEAL all the way around! If not, you can get carbon monoxide poisoning the slow way if it seeps into the car. I know from experience.