Lincoln weldanpower HELP?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln weldanpower HELP?

Hello everyone,
    I am a new member looking for some help. I just picked up a Licoln weldanpower 225 with a 16hp onan engine. The problem is that the onan engine has a blown rod. I would like to remove the engine from the welder to try to rebuild it but am not sure how to go about removing it from the armature shaft. I believe the crankshaft is tapered but do not know this for sure. I suspect that the shaft will come apart some hard and I don't want to break anything extra. Can you give me some suggestions? Also where is a good place to get parts for the onan engine? From what research I have done so far it looks as if onan does not make these engines anymore.
    Thanks,
    Robbie

Re: Lincoln weldanpower HELP?

Welcome,

The shaft has a long taper. Use a plastic dead blow hammer, you cn loosen it. It has a bolt in the center you have to take out first.

Good luck rebuilding the Onan. Its going to be expensive. You would be better off buying a used engine if you can find one. Is the crank hurt? cylinder walls?

If it threw a rod, it probably was run out of oil, but I can't see from here.

I have a weldmanpower 225 for sale. Its a G7 with AC, DC and CV output with a 7,000 watt 110v and 220v output. $600 for the welder, 800 with the trailer.

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

ok, I removed the bolt from the end of the armature and unhooked all the engine wires and cables, and mounting bolts. I still can not remove the engine. I need some more tips on how to undo the tapered end. I do not want to bang around in there with a hammer and risk damaging the area on the armature where the brushes rub. I was able to turn the engine so I can get to the oil pan and hopefully remove it to see how much damage there really is in there. I would not be surprised if the engine is junk so it would need to be removed anyway.
    please give me some tips,
    Robbie

David, any pics of specs on your 225 that is for sale. I tried looking on Lincolns site for information with no luck.
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

Quote Originally Posted by MicroZone
    David, any pics of specs on your 225 that is for sale. I tried looking on Lincolns site for information with no luck.
    Pics next weekend, My daughter has the dig camera.

Its about 16 years old. I always changed the oil and took good care of it. Automatic idle up does not work. The switch works and lets it run at idle or goverened speed. Everything else works great. It has the capacitor that is needed to add a hi freq for AC tig.

nh-rob, You can hit on the armature (rotor) where it is metal, not windings. Use a plastic dead blow hammer of good size. I have taken a few off of Onan 3 phase generators on boom trucks. Same motor, similar armature. You need to get the rotor out of the field (outside) windings first. Just drive it out of the end frame. Don't trash the bearings, if you do its no big deal.

Good luck
    David
    Real world weldin.

Re: Lincoln weldanpower HELP? update

Well I pulled the engine along with the armature. I set it on the bench and tore into the motor. What I have is two blown rods chipped piston skirts and some scoring on the crank. The cyl wall don't appear to be bad. If this is do to running low on oil would the camshaft be bad too. He gave me another engine but I believe it is a ckk engine and the crank is not tapered. Do you suppose the piston and rods are the same? Can the crank be turned down to fix the scuffs and undersized bearing bought? Any Idea where to look for another engine?
    Thanks again,
    Robbie

Maybe a local machine shop could repair your crank and you could put it in the other engine. Onan parst are Expen$ive.

David
    Real world weldin.

I have heard of these welders being repowered by a different engine,a good
    Briggs&Stratton dealer should be able to assist you.

It looks as though I will be looking for something to re-power it with. I pulled my other engine apart last night and not only was is different but one cyl had water in it and caused major pitting. I was hoping the rods would be the same but the were too long.
    Does any one know what the stator on the engine is used for? Is it just to charge the battery or does it have something to do with the welder?
    On a side note I was easily able to remove the armature once it was pulled from the field. I slid a long bolt down through the armature and gave it a hit from a hammer and off it came. It looks as though if the armature comes off hard you could thread a bolt in the end of it to push it off the crank but I did not have one that would fit.
    If I can find a used engine cheap enough with a strait shaft I might try to machine a taper adapter on my lathe.
    I sure hope that when I do get an engine in this thing it welds good like the guy said it did.
    Robbie

Did a 'net search for you and came up with a few possible places for Onan parts:

http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/

It looks like this place carries alot of Onan product:

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...r=Linamar/Onan

Hope that helps!
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

anyone have any idea what the model number for the Briggs & Stratton engine is? I have a 225g7 with a B&S that is in bad shape. Any and all help is appreciated.

I'm in the same boat, tell me more about removing the armature. Mine has a steel fan at the opposite end. Does the fan get removed and then the whole works slide out of the field windings.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

(2)Lincoln 225AC/DC portables, Miller Syncrowave 300, miller sidekick,Lincoln Idealarc 250,Miller 251 Mig, Miller 30A spool gun, Hende lathe, Horizontal bandsaw, pora band ,14FT enclosed trailer.SA200's

Quote Originally Posted by nh-rob View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am a new member looking for some help. I just picked up a Licoln weldanpower 225 with a 16hp onan engine. The problem is that the onan engine has a blown rod. I would like to remove the engine from the welder to try to rebuild it but am not sure how to go about removing it from the armature shaft. I believe the crankshaft is tapered but do not know this for sure. I suspect that the shaft will come apart some hard and I don't want to break anything extra. Can you give me some suggestions? Also where is a good place to get parts for the onan engine? From what research I have done so far it looks as if onan does not make these engines anymore.
    Thanks,
    Robbie
    Lincoln used a Briggs&Stratton V-Twin Vanguard 16HP (model 303447) Type 0450-01
    code 92051811 This is what is on my weldenpower 225. Tinker454

Lincoln used A V-TWIN BRIGGS&Stratton 16HP vanguard (model 303447)Type0450-01
    code 92051811 this is what my Weldenpower225 has. Tinker454

First of all, welcome to the club!

I can't believe that no one here has suggested onanparts.com, TJ the owner is a member here at WW, and can be a real help with these old Onan engines!

If you need a little encouragement, or maybe a little hands on info of what you are getting into, check out my thread here: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=31000

Good luck!
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

http://onanparts.com

Try this guy for parts, He hangs out here and has given input to ken and duane on there restorations. He just hasn't been here the last few days.

Hahaha, sorry Ken, We were typing at the same time.
    Lincoln Ranger 8 Lincoln 175 Drill press
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear

OH!
    I just noticed that this is an old thread!
    Heck, that thing has probably been fixed by now dog goneit!
    #1. If you don't like what I wrote, or if it offends you, then don't read it!
    #2. I am living life the way I see fit, if you don't like the way I'M living, tough sh**!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Dennis View Post
    OH!
    I just noticed that this is an old thread!
    Heck, that thing has probably been fixed by now dog goneit!
    Kolot researched the thread and bumped it.
    Lincoln Ranger 8 Lincoln 175 Drill press
    Lincoln 225 mig
    Plasma
    8 ft brake
    52" jump shear