Feedback on a HTP 221 Tig Welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Feedback on a HTP 221 Tig Welder

Hello,
    As usual, I tried a search first but as always, I can't seem to find the information I am looking for....so I thought I would ask my question here.....I have an opportunity to purchase a fairly new HTP 221 Tig welder for a good price. My question is, how many of you out there have used this welder and how would you compare it to, say a Miller Dynasty 200 (since it is supposed to be in the same class)?. I have heard of HTP but I am very unfimiliar with their welders. I checked out their web site but I am just wondering what kind of feedback you guys that own or have used this welder can provide. Thanks in advance. TM.

Re: Feedback on a HTP 221 Tig Welder

I don't know where their welders are built, but I have heard great things about them. I have also heart wonderful things about their customer service.

Have I ever used them? No. :-(

I'm no pro and haven't used a Dynasty.

I'd like a side by side comparison though.

Here Is some feedback I'd left previously.

mikeb9550 did two nice reviews on youtube of
    when he initially received his machine.
    History of A.D.D. and Tourette's
    so if I change the subject
    and I start swearing at you
    don't get offended.

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZMAN4177 View Post
    Hello,
    As usual, I tried a search first but as always, I can't seem to find the information I am looking for....so I thought I would ask my question here.....I have an opportunity to purchase a fairly new HTP 221 Tig welder for a good price. My question is, how many of you out there have used this welder and how would you compare it to, say a Miller Dynasty 200 (since it is supposed to be in the same class)?. I have heard of HTP but I am very unfimiliar with their welders. I checked out their web site but I am just wondering what kind of feedback you guys that own or have used this welder can provide. Thanks in advance. TM.
    I've never used a dynasty 200, but I have used the HTP 221. Are you local to HTP? I'm sure they would let you try one out. I went to the 4 hour tig welding class at HTP 2 weeks ago and we all got to use the 221.
    The machine itself is small compared to my diversion 180. The controls look to be confusing but they really are not.
    The frequency of 200hz makes for a nice cleaner weld compared to a 50/60hz welder when comparing the both. The torch seemed to have some weight to it, but maybe because we were standing and not sitting down.
    The gas hose is awesome and super light weight and easy to throw around. I am trying to figure out how to put this hose on my miller.
    We never did anything over 90 amps so I can't tell you a whole lot about it.
    One thing I did not like is the power cord coming out the back. It just looks cheap, looks home made. However maybe the machines we used were test or prototypes? I don't know.
    They are made in Italy from what I can gather.
    Feel free to call Jeff, he is a super nice guy and will tell you everything you want to know. If I had the cash I would buy it.

Edit: I think the torch was too long, maybe that is why it felt heavy. Here is my review of the class with pics, notice how long the torch is.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=87721
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 62i
    Longevity ProMTS200 & Spool gun
    Thermal Arc 186
    Tweco 141i

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I've never used a dynasty 200, but I have used the HTP 221. Are you local to HTP? I'm sure they would let you try one out. I went to the 4 hour tig welding class at HTP 2 weeks ago and we all got to use the 221.
    The machine itself is small compared to my diversion 180. The controls look to be confusing but they really are not.
    The frequency of 200hz makes for a nice cleaner weld compared to a 50/60hz welder when comparing the both. The torch seemed to have some weight to it, but maybe because we were standing and not sitting down.
    The gas hose is awesome and super light weight and easy to throw around. I am trying to figure out how to put this hose on my miller.
    We never did anything over 90 amps so I can't tell you a whole lot about it.
    One thing I did not like is the power cord coming out the back. It just looks cheap, looks home made. However maybe the machines we used were test or prototypes? I don't know.
    They are made in Italy from what I can gather.
    Feel free to call Jeff, he is a super nice guy and will tell you everything you want to know. If I had the cash I would buy it.

Edit: I think the torch was too long, maybe that is why it felt heavy. Here is my review of the class with pics, notice how long the torch is.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=87721

My powercord is a nice factory looking kind so it must have been something they had in the shop or they changed from a previous version.

To the OP, I wish I had a Dynasty or access to one. It would be nice to see a weld off in a hand of a good welder (not that I am one). I do like the welder and really happy with it if that counts. I hear they are made in Italy.
    Hobart Handler 210 with Spoolgun
    Hypertherm PM30 Plasma
    HTP 221 Tig Welder
    HF Bandsaw
    HF Auto Dark Helmet

^^Now you need a better helmet
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 62i
    Longevity ProMTS200 & Spool gun
    Thermal Arc 186
    Tweco 141i

I don't really like the same people posting on
    this thread but it is what it is. I wish more people
    had experience with it. I will drive my
    machine to shop with a dynasty owner so they
    can try it out. I know it doesn't say much for
    long distance and industrial usage, but still. If
    you're local and interested, shoot me a pm.
    I saved about a grand in the short term by
    picking up the HTP 221 over the Dynasty 200.

But again, I don't count on this machine for my
    day to day living. And I couldn't lay down an
    awesome bead with any machine.

I still can't find any nasty comments about it
    though. I am still looking for input that says I've made
    a bad choice. Haven't found one yet. And no I don't
    work for HTP or got an inkling of a discount for
    posting this. Paid full retail for mine. I am excited
    about any interest that other people have in the
    machine that I've purchased.

The worst input I can find is that it is not locally
    serviceable and that is OK for me.
    Last edited by that'll_buff_out; 03-05-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    History of A.D.D. and Tourette's
    so if I change the subject
    and I start swearing at you
    don't get offended.

I dont have a 221 but I do have a 200. If the 221 is as good as the 200. You purchased a great welder. I have had my 200 about 4 years now and no problems.It gets used almost every day.
    I have used Lincoln and Miller tig machines. They don't work any better.
    You bought a great welder. Don't let anyone tell you different.
    Service from Htp is top notch.
    mm135
    HTP Invertig 201 With water cooler
    9" Southbend Lathe
    Lots of hand tools.

Thanks guys for the input.....That'll_buff_out, thanks to you as well and I hope maybe you can find someone with a Dynasty to put that HTP against. Keep us posted on your results. I have done a little more research since I posted my question and I have not found ONE bad comment regarding that welder!!

I took a series of welding classes last year ... started with stick and progressed to TIG after which I purchased an HTP 221.

We learned to weld on big Lincoln 275s and I find one thing somewhat irksome on the 221. I seem to get some arc rectification going on as I move the pedal - especially if I move it quickly. More specifically, when I strike the initial arc, there is a snappy sort of noise that occurs - fine. But as I move the pedal, that noise keeps recurring. The arc is solid so it isn't re-establishing the arc.

The Lincoln's never made that sound - they seemed to be smoother machines. Understandably they were more expensive but I'm not using more than 90 or so amps so both machines should have significant headroom still available.

And so with the 221, and my (lack of) skills, my welds turn out better when I'm on slightly thicker material and using a 3/32 rod. As soon as I drop down to 1/16 - I just can't seem to find the right balance - I either melt though the metal or don't get good penetration. And on top of it, that noise makes me wonder if it is the machine or my skills.

That said, my 3/32 welds look great so I tend to think my 1/16 weld issus are just a function of my skill level.

I bought the 25 foot leads and so I wondered if shortening those would help. If I move the pedal slowly - the noise doesn't occur ... and in reality, it only clicks like 2 or 3 times as I'm depressing or moving out moderately fast.

I called HTP and spoke to the tech. He didn't know what I was talking about at first - but when he tried to simulate the noise, he WAS able to do so on his own machine... he commented "I've never noticed that before" which leads me to believe that it is harmless.

I posted a question here about it and someone replied back that he'd seen similar things ... and he asked me to make sure the piece/table was firmly grounded which I *think* helped out just a bit ... so it could just be a part of my (inadequate) shop setup as well.

But still, the Lincolns felt smoother. If I had to do it again, I'd really look for a store that would let me 'demo' both an inverter and a traditional transformer machine so that I knew what to expect when getting either one home. As it stands, I'm just not sure if the HTP or my setup needs to be tweaked or if I should just ignore it and keep practicing.

I have the Invertig 201, and it is a great machine. HTP customer service is the best, too. I am actually thinking of selling my 201, and getting the 221 for the dual voltage option.

Home, PA (Yes, that's the name of the town.)

I'm really happy to be reading all of these great reviews about the HTP 221. I had been saving little bits of money here and there in hopes of buying an Everlast 250EX(Yeah, yeah, I know) until I stumbled upon this HTP. I've now decided that my money would be better spent on the water-cooled HTP 221. From what I have gathered, the HTP seems like a more reliable machine sold by a more reliable company. I know that the HTP 221 is not a Miller Dynasty 200, but I think it is the closest I will ever get in this price range. Does this welder seem like a good choice to you guys as well? I will be using it mostly to do welding on my own personal projects but I'm sure I will also do some welding jobs on the side, provided I am qualified to do the job I am being asked to do.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:
    AIRCO Heliwelder IV 300Amp Model - Total Awesomeness!
    Old 120v Hobart Handler MIG
    Various grinders, cutting tools, hammers, clamps, ect...
    "I'm an amateur welder with lots left to learn..."

I may be bais, but I went ahead and jumped the gun on an HTP 221 DV unit and the only problem I have w/ it is the fact that I don't have enough time to play with it. I'm almost tempted to take a few days off work just to learn all of its features and master it. Overall, I think it was a great decision and you will NOT be dissapointed if you go with this model or the regular model. I only chose the DV version because you never know if you're going to go offsite and there's no access to 220.
    Lincoln Pro-pak 100 (owned for 10 yrs, but recently sold..)
    HTP 221 DV Tig welder (current toy and loving it)
    HF 14" Chop Saw
    Dewalt Sawzall ( very useful )

I bought a 221 not too long ago. I haven't really had a chance to use it much (which is almost a moot point because I'm a complete noob.) I wouldn't know the difference between one inverter-based machine and another when it comes to how it welds. I would be making far too many "mistakes" to know if it had anything to do with the machine.

Anyway, in addition to the price, customer service is the biggest reason I went with HTP. One of the other posts mentioned how there isn't any local support, but I don't see that as a problem. I've had nothing but fantastic support from HTP thus far. When I first got my machine, there weren't too many machines that shipped with a finger control torch. Turns out that the finger controls they have weren't compatible with the new 221. They sent me a new board to install in the machine (I hadn't even used it at that point.) I installed the new panel in no time and got it all ready to go. I would MUCH prefer to have a user-serviceable machine with great customer support than local support that is going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Someone also mentioned torch cable length. My torch came with 12-foot cooler lines, but the finger control was a 25-footer. Coiling up excess line can create some induction (not good for sensitive electronics), so I ended up shortening the control cable to match the cooler lines.

Anyway, I look forward to spending more time using my 221. I'm confident that it was a very good purchase. I bought it when they had a $300-off "Black Friday" sale. I've read a lot of comments that suggest a Dynasty is ultimate inverter-based machine, but I'd guess that proper setup/technique and welding skills of the individual will make WAY more difference than what can be found between two machines. To me, reliability and support are a much greater selling point, and I've heard (and experienced) nothing but good things about HTP.