miller big blue 350 pipe pro
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

miller big blue 350 pipe pro

I have been pipe welding for 25 years now, mainly shutdown and turnaround and I am thinking about rigging out. I will be working refineries as well pipe lines, so I will need a machine with a smooth tig arc as well as a smooth stick arc for running 60,70 and 8010 rods. Now I have used just about every machine out there and favor the vantage 400. I have been hearing a lot of good things about this miller big blue 350 pipe pro. I have used the miller pro300 and it welds ok. I am wondering just how much better the 350 pipe pro is. If anybody out there has any input about this machine please respond.

Re: miller big blue 350 pipe pro

I have a BB350.

Stick performance, especially EXX10, is excellent. I've used mostly 5P+ or Hobart E6010. I can't speak to performance with other rods.

Lift arc DC TIG is excellent and a pleasure to use in the field vs scratch start. I've done some stainless once in the field since I bought the machine. It worked very well.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what the low amperage limit is, so if you're doing SS sheetmetal or other work where you want really low amps, you might think about running a Dynasty 200 off the BB350 aux power. The generator makes up to 50amps of 1-phase 240. Has 4 110V outlets that are GFCI protected. I run lights, power tools, etc with no issues.

I've done some structural work, and welded some gas-shielded and some self-shielded fluxcore with a borrowed suitcase feeder; and that runs very well also. I've not had a reason to run any hardwire yet, although I'd expect that to be good too.

I have a wireless remote for mine also, and that's worth the money as well. First time you don't have to string a remote cable or climb a ladder to change settings, you'll be hooked.

Mine has the Mitsubishi engine and it runs very smoothly and much quieter than the 300D I sold when I bought the BB350.

I have a couple hundred hours on the machine, and zero issues so far. Engine burns no oil and starts within 3sec of cranking. I'm in SW Ohio, so the cold weather isn't really a factor here. The machine comes with a block heater if you need one.

Vs the Pro300, the BB350 is a low speed diesel so it's much quieter at idle, and probably at high speed also. I've not welded with a Pro300, so I can't give you a direct comparison. Vs my previous 300D, the noise factor, fuel economy(I'm guessing here), aux power, and wireless remote make it a no-brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkwelder View Post
    I have been pipe welding for 25 years now, mainly shutdown and turnaround and I am thinking about rigging out. I will be working refineries as well pipe lines, so I will need a machine with a smooth tig arc as well as a smooth stick arc for running 60,70 and 8010 rods. Now I have used just about every machine out there and favor the vantage 400. I have been hearing a lot of good things about this miller big blue 350 pipe pro. I have used the miller pro300 and it welds ok. I am wondering just how much better the 350 pipe pro is. If anybody out there has any input about this machine please respond.
    Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com

Thanks for the reply! My biggest concern was how it would weld EXX10 rods. I've used DC lincoln's and the vantage series for downhill welding, but the DC lincoln's are a little to thirsty on the fuel and the arc flaring when pulling out while tig welding and little auxiliary put them out of the race for me. The vantage seems to have it all. How does the 350 pipe pro compare to the vantage 400? That wireless remote on the 350 PP is a BIG! plus to me." I don't know how many times I had to climb down out of the rack to adjust my machine!" If it can run EXX10 rods as good as the vantage series it will be the one I go with.

Vs the Pro300, the BB350 is a low speed diesel so it's much quieter at idle, and probably at high speed also. I've not welded with a Pro300, so I can't give you a direct comparison. Vs my previous 300D, the noise factor, fuel economy(I'm guessing here), aux power, and wireless remote make it a no-brainer for me.[/QUOTE]

The pro 300 is an 1800 rpm diesel also. It is very quiet. That said, I sure like whatI have been hearing about the pipe pro 350.
    Last edited by robphillips00; 03-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Miller Pro 300
    68 SA 200
    64 SAF 300
    305 G Lincoln gasser
    Miller 210

My Trailblazer had to go into the shop and I rented a BB300,,WOW,,can't say enough good about that machine even being an abused rental,,,the power end ran every tool and the lights while I'm steadily running a 60series feeder on the welding end with .045 gas shielded fluxcore,,we then took it to another job running 6010's, 7018's and 10180's,,smoooooooooooth arc and quick arc start,,low rpm,very quiet,,,saving my pennies to end up with one

Quote Originally Posted by robphillips00 View Post
    Vs the Pro300, the BB350 is a low speed diesel so it's much quieter at idle, and probably at high speed also. I've not welded with a Pro300, so I can't give you a direct comparison. Vs my previous 300D, the noise factor, fuel economy(I'm guessing here), aux power, and wireless remote make it a no-brainer for me.
    The pro 300 is an 1800 rpm diesel also. It is very quiet. That said, I sure like whatI have been hearing about the pipe pro 350.[/QUOTE]

My previous post should have said: I have not welded with a pipepro 350. I have a pro 300.
    Miller Pro 300
    68 SA 200
    64 SAF 300
    305 G Lincoln gasser
    Miller 210

I double checked Miller's website, and I was wrong in my first post. The Pro300 is a low speed diesel. Thanks for catching my goof.

I'm not sure what I was thinking of, maybe the diesel trailblazer? I dunno for sure. The diesel powered TB is a high speed diesel...

Quote Originally Posted by robphillips00 View Post
    The pro 300 is an 1800 rpm diesel also. It is very quiet. That said, I sure like whatI have been hearing about the pipe pro 350.
    My previous post should have said: I have not welded with a pipepro 350. I have a pro 300.[/QUOTE]
    Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

I forget all the names but they did make a 300 which was high speed there for a while but changed it in the last couple of years to a low speed. I'm pretty sure the Pipepro 304 was high speed as well.

I gave serious consideration to the Pro300 myself but between size, weight, and cost I decided I was better off with a Trailblazer since I really don't do that much field work. The plus side is that the Trailblazer has AC as well and I've got a HF box so I can set it up for field TIG if I need to.
    Last edited by irish fixit; 03-12-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

No pipeliners out there using the BB350 pipe pro?

Try MIller's forum, the AWS forum, or www.rigwelder.com, and you'll probably get more feedback. Although the AWS and rigwelder forums will probably throw rotten vegetables. The majority are Lincoln fans.

No pipeliners out there using the BB350 pipe pro?

Yes that is true, but I read somewhere that the 304 pp and the big blue 350 pipe pro were the only millers allowed on some pipeline jobs.

It all depends...

Most pipeliners are welding with Lincoln DC generator machines. A minority are using MIller pipepro 304s and the newer 350s. A few (non-union) rig welders use other big blue miller engine drives.

North of the border there are pipeliners using non-diesel, smaller machines like trailblazers and rangers. But is not the norm here in the states.

There too many stories to ignore of welders being run off if they don't have a lincoln machine on their truck when they arrive to test for a job. But as the previous generation retires, and people find newer machines that will do the job, I expect you'll see more variety of equipment on rig trucks.

I suspect a day will come when engine drives with the capability to run CV, not just CC, are the norm. Beyond that, reliability will decide which machines are used on the pipeline, regardless of what color the sheet metal is.

Yes that is true, but I read somewhere that the 304 pp and the big blue 350 pipe pro were the only millers allowed on some pipeline jobs.

Well said! I see things heading that way myself. I know some welders that are using trailblazers on small projects in ND.

Just came off a 10 3/4" inch line that had a guy running a trailblazer. Eventually, it will come down to the welder not the machine. There are places where they wont let you test with an aircooled machine though.
    Miller Pro 300
    68 SA 200
    64 SAF 300
    305 G Lincoln gasser
    Miller 210

Any negatives on the BB350PP? All I here are positive feed backs, witch is great but it can't be that good. How long has it been out?