air compressor intake filter
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

air compressor intake filter

I use a little direct drive pancake filter alot, it claims it puts around 4.4 cfm @ 90, I am looking to quiet it down a bit, even just taking the edge off would be nice to be, I know I need a belt drive to make a huge improvement, but I dont have the money (or space or need really) for one yet. the intake threads are 3/8" npt. any ideas? I think a fair amount of my noise is from the intake as it makes notable changes when you change the direction of the intake hole, which mostly sounds the same as when you take it out completely

thinking about an oil filter for a car, alot of these will bite well on a 1/2" npt, have a crapload of baffling and would count as an intake filter as well,

do they make intake mufflers for these things? any who, thanks for listening and any advice.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Century 90amp on Flux
    Craftsman 200amp buzzbox

Re: air compressor intake filter

You want to make sure that you don't restrict the intake of am air compressor as this will cause it to pull crankcase oil past the rings. I have plumbed car mufflers into the intake of big compressors before with good results.

If you were to try the oil filter route, maybe use a pipe to space it away from the compressor and hook a vacuum gauge to the pipe in between the compressor and filter to make sure you aren't pulling a vacuum.
    Miller millermatic 251
    Miller aircrafter 330st, wp20
    1961 Lincoln SA200
    Ellis 1600 bandsaw
    Logan 820 lathe
    South Bend 13"
    Bridgeport M Head

Just run a air intake pipe to the outside or attic something like 1" PVC or so would work than you could get a air filter housing to fit your pipe
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

I like the idea of the vacuum gauge, and I like the pipe Idea, I will use that one for the next bigger compressor, this is thing is meant to be somewhat portable, but that definitely would make it not where I am, would be good for a semi stationary for sure!

I am not sold on the oil filter, just seemed like a cheapo way to get some baffles and some noise dampening, could go with one for a bigger vehicle. i got the idea looking at bigger compressor reviews lool. I will keep thinking about it, I really dont need more flow, just more air tank, I have been using a 11 gallon tire filler tank (stripped and put more flowing hose rig on it) and its removable, but adds alot of crap to fiddle with to do simple things.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Century 90amp on Flux
    Craftsman 200amp buzzbox

Just wanted to update this, I have been running my compressor like this for about 2 weeks and its working great, its not a silencer by any means, but it has adjusted the tone to a more reasonable range, and removed alot of the harshness of the sound. seems to flow great and theres no noticable loss of output (still keeps up with brother in laws plasma cutter, which is what I was waiting to see how it worked with that)
    Hobart Handler 190
    Century 90amp on Flux
    Craftsman 200amp buzzbox

So what did you end up doing to silence this machine?
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Silence isn't a good word lol it was made tolerable. I ended up just putting the cheap housebrand of a fram ph2 which has 1/2" npt and the air comps intake was 3/8" npt. Two brass adapters from the plumbing supply got me in business. I went with brass so I wouldnt have as many issues with corrosion.

It seems like it fills at the same speed. Its tone is less sharp, feels like progress to me. Next step get a real compressor.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Century 90amp on Flux
    Craftsman 200amp buzzbox

My little horizontal Craftsman was loud as He-- . I built a 3 sided with top ply wood box and lined it with sound absorbing insulation . It redirects and absorbs alot of the noise. Has about 12in free air space around the compressor and sits a foot out from the wall. No over heating problems with it so far and I don't have to yell when its running. Just something to think about.
    Beer has food value, Food has no beer value

I use a SOLBERG-Filter-Silencer on my large 2 stage compressor.It made a huge difference.
    It's still loud,but not as annoying.
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SOL...KZ7?Pid=search
    They can also be found on Ebay, search for "Intake Filter/Silencer"

Does anyone know what size fitting is in the middle of a ph 8? It doesnt appear to be a standard size fitting but I could be wrong. I will look at a ph2 next time I'm in the store. thanks for that tip.
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

ph8 thread size is 3/4-16. ph2 is 22 x 1.5mm.
    Miller millermatic 251
    Miller aircrafter 330st, wp20
    1961 Lincoln SA200
    Ellis 1600 bandsaw
    Logan 820 lathe
    South Bend 13"
    Bridgeport M Head

The reason I ask about the ph8 is I use these most and is the only one I stock for auto use. So I tried various pipe and 1/2 almost fits but is slightly too big . Doesn't even catch a thread.I thought perhaps metric.
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA

I honestly don't know every thread pitch etc, I just know i was able to make a ph2 work and it grabbed on great (npt is tapered so you have to thread it all the way up to know), a house brand filter will run you 2 bucks, I would either get a new filter or carry the one you have to lowes/plumbing supply and try some sizes out. they also make npt to compression fittings, one of these type adapters might have a thread you can work with.
    Hobart Handler 190
    Century 90amp on Flux
    Craftsman 200amp buzzbox

Compressor parts, us compressor air filter
    Check out this site, should find just about anything made or that you need
    http://www.aircompressorpartsonline....l-c-25_56.html
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

(2)Lincoln 225AC/DC portables, Miller Syncrowave 300, miller sidekick,Lincoln Idealarc 250,Miller 251 Mig, Miller 30A spool gun, Hende lathe, Horizontal bandsaw, pora band ,14FT enclosed trailer.SA200's