welding high carbon steel to AR400 and titanium?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

welding high carbon steel to AR400 and titanium?

Kind of a strange situation. I am wanting to make a pair of "tactical bolt cutters". the idea is, it would be useful to entry teams.

The idea is a standard pair of bolt cutters modified with a pair of titanium solid bar handles (with a pry bar on one of the handles).

Problem #1: I need to attach titanium to high carbon steel jaws (no further information on the composition).

Problem #2: I am planning on machining an AR400 axe blade on the outside of one of the bolt cutter blades.

I have the capability to machine an adaptor, and think I may have to do that with the titanium/carbon steel union, but would prefer a weld.

I have a Dynasty 200DX and a Northern Tool MIG welder to attempt this task. Any advise would be appreciated.

Caspian

Re: welding high carbon steel to AR400 and titanium?

Sorry, to the best of my knowledge, titanium can only be welded to itself[ and it's alloys].

OP, I can see how a bolt cutter with other tools attached to it would be a good idea.

What I see is if one was going to use this with a chopper type blade, you would have to contend with the two handles to control the device. I have used a large handled cutter as a bashing tool for disassembling some custom pallets that had strapping attached to it. several times It all most hit myself, all in all it wasnt really controllable, now with that said it did however make an allright prying tool for slats and others where the two bits could get into.

Already there are companies making bolt cutters for entry minded use, for ex.
    this company has a few to offer with replaceable bit edges
    http://www.swatools.com/ecom/category/5/
    None that I managed to find offhand had any of similar types of requirements you have mentioned.

Most of what you describe has be done with a Halligan bar.
    Why titanium, most of the existing tools require weight to use properly?

Quote Originally Posted by caspian View Post
    Kind of a strange situation. I am wanting to make a pair of "tactical bolt cutters". the idea is, it would be useful to entry teams.

The idea is a standard pair of bolt cutters modified with a pair of titanium solid bar handles (with a pry bar on one of the handles).

Problem #1: I need to attach titanium to high carbon steel jaws (no further information on the composition).

Problem #2: I am planning on machining an AR400 axe blade on the outside of one of the bolt cutter blades.

I have the capability to machine an adaptor, and think I may have to do that with the titanium/carbon steel union, but would prefer a weld.

I have a Dynasty 200DX and a Northern Tool MIG welder to attempt this task. Any advise would be appreciated.

Caspian
    The bolt cutter assembly can be threaded studs off the ends, and the handles can be put on and taken off, lengthened, or epoxied and pinned permanently in place. No weld.
    A machined groove to hold the axe in, with pinch clamp to hold blade securely.

Again, not needing a weld. The A400 is very tough, and while it could be welded, it might have cracking issues. (But if it were welded, 7018, with some preheat, and well prepped for the weld.)
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

Mckutzy,
    you have a pretty strong grasp of what I am thinking. I don't think a 7.5 lb pair of bolt cutters cuts more efficiently than a 3.5 lb pair given the same jaws. I am trying to keep weight down because these guys are already carrying body armor, guns, ammo, etc. The reduction of weight in the handles would be valuable.

I was thinking of recontouring the handles so that they are close for the top 75% (when swinging as an ax) and opened up at the base for gripping.

I was thinking titanium because 1) i already have some rods to use and 2) the weight at the top is the most important for impact.

After more research, welding isn't an option to use titanium. so i think the easiest and most secure route to use titanium is to replace the bottom half of the unit with full titanium. (everything below the steel cross member)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojodiablo View Post
    The bolt cutter assembly can be threaded studs off the ends, and the handles can be put on and taken off, lengthened, or epoxied and pinned permanently in place. No weld.
    A machined groove to hold the axe in, with pinch clamp to hold blade securely.

Again, not needing a weld. The A400 is very tough, and while it could be welded, it might have cracking issues. (But if it were welded, 7018, with some preheat, and well prepped for the weld.)
    love the threading idea. may try to weld the axe blade because it may be used on steel doors, door knobs, etc. gotta make it 100% solid.

I do suggest trying to bash some pallets or other expendable objects to test for the use of this device. It had been somewhat unwieldy for me. Perhaps you could fashion some locking mechanism for the handles as to prevent inadvertently opening while bashing but quick to employ in quick order.

Why a bolt cutter though?(or am I guessing you may not be answering that) There are lockbreaker tools that are lighter(excluding a large sledge hammer and the like) but still there are bar tools out there that are combos aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
    Why a bolt cutter though?(or am I guessing you may not be answering that) There are lockbreaker tools that are lighter(excluding a large sledge hammer and the like) but still there are bar tools out there that are combos aswell.
    bolt cutters are much quieter than bashing a lock. being able to use it to cut locks, then pry a door,then bash something gives you 3 tools in one.