CWI or CPWI or both
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

CWI or CPWI or both

I know the AWS cert means more to most co.'s, but was referred to the CPWI from an inspection Co. as "it's cheaper" (from them not me). I am familier with 1104 and alot of D1.1 but i haven't studied the D1.1 code as much. my Question is should i get both of them knocked out or just go with the AWS CWI?

Also i see a bunch of Co's hiring CWI's with api 653, 670, etc? How do you go about gettin that training as the CWI I've seen has been over 1104. Any help and info is greatly appreciated. Thanx

Re: CWI or CPWI or both

CWI (ASME, AWS D1.1, API 1104) is one certification.

API 653 is a tank inspection certification. It is a different test altogether. The specs can be found here: http://www.msts-training.com/courses...udy%20Plan.pdf

If you have questions on it, feel free to ask. There are a lot of inspection companies in your neck of the woods doing 653 work. If you can make it down to Dallas next month, there is the conference where you can find a lot of great information in the form of contacts. Info on the conference can be found at http://www.api.org/events-and-traini...-refining.aspx

Yours truly will be there as well, so that's a plus...

CPWI?

Sounds like an in-house training and cert, that companies put their supervisors through.

AWS CWI is the most versatile cert. Not accepted by ASME, but ASME loads are often supported by D1.1 structures that require CWI inspection. Big plus if youre trying to get a job in a vessel shop or nuke plant.

Suppose you get the CPWI because it targets a few jobs in your area... and they dont turnout to be right for you.
    I've spent a few years as a contract inspector, walking into all types of phases of the welding industry. Through agencies simialr to BV, KTA, RW HUNT, Pennoni, Paid Very Well.... I know that a CPWI wouldnt even be considered for that work.

Launce - CWI

I realize the AWS CWI is more widely recognized, so it will def be takin that in mid-may. The CPWI is a cert for pipelining and refinery work. Check it out, nationalwelding.com, I was referred to them by a couple diff inspection sub-contractors. I've decided to take both courses and plan on doin the NACE course as well, as havin all 3 could only help. However if I get into the thick of things before I get my NACE, I'll have to put it off to a later date.

NACE is nice icing on the cake when applying for inspection Jobs. Even LVL I will get you a "in". NACE lead abatement is the big one around here... for bridge rehab.

My only concern is finding work, as most Co.'S want experience, so I'm hoping 15 years of welding will help. I'd like to get on all the pipelines in So. Texas as it's booming right now and looks to be pretty steady for the foreseeable future.

I work for a big oil pipeline company and they hire both CWI's and CPWI's. However their CPWI's are NOT allowed to test welders or update welders. The CWI's can do both. CWI's are also paid more. From what i can tell, the CPWI is a useful certification if you know nothing or very little about pipeline work as they teach the nomenclature and basics of working on a pipeline also. The CWI cert does not. However, if you are able to take either......i believe the CWI is the cert that will pay off better in the long run.I know mine has!

Here is a thread from the AWS forum that is interesting.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=30404

I don't think I would put to much stock into a certification you can acheive by taking the test in your motel room.

I guess it would help weed out the really dumb ones though. If someone can't pass a test unmonitored, untimed and in their motel room then they probably can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

jrw159

JRW- if this were facebook I'd click "like" well said.