Minimum gauge for
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Minimum gauge for

I don't have a proper garage or welding space so i do most of my welding outside and cart my welder in and out as i need it. I recently chopped the posts off this old potting bench to make it a welding table. I am planing on covering it with a 306L stainless sheet. My question is what is the minimum gauge stainless i should use to cover the wood. I am assuming that gauges of sheet metal carrying current is not too much different from gauges of wire carrying current. I.E. you want to make sure its big enough to carry the current at hand?? The largest welder I will be using is a Lincoln Ideal arc Dc 250. Since the wood will be carrying most of the weight I am not really worried about thickness for structural support and i want to go as thin as possible to keep costs down.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Minimum gauge for

The thickness of your metal will not matter for the current flow. However thin metal will warp easily when heated, and the wood under the metal will probably get black and smokey. When I was using a wood bench I put 1/4" plate on it and spaced it off the wood with 1" square tube. A lot of guys here like really thick tables, like 1".
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX

No, that's not my car.

I agree with bigb , you'll want something thicker than gauge metal because of warping. I'd go with at least 1/4" with some kind of frame to keep it off the wood. If you lay thinner stuff on that wood it'll end catching on fire. My table at the house is just 3 ft sq and is 3/8" thick. My table at work is 1/2" 5'x10'.
    My toys:
    Mobile Set Up
    Miller Bobcat 225NT
    Oxy Acetylene cutting set up
    Red D Arc 12VS wire feeder
    Spoolmate 3035 spoolgun
    Scratch Start TIG DC
    Miller Elite auto hood

Nothing less than 1/4" unless you will be doing nothing but light bed frame trinkets brackets and artsy fartsy stuff.

I would try using 5/16" CRS and above this one, a 14 ga SS.
    Mauricio

I'd go with the 1/4" steel plate with the spacers too. Don't need a fire!
    Thermal Arc 185 ACDC
    Lincoln Weldpac 155

You want something around 1/4" at least. the thicker the better. The fab tables I use at work are 3/4" but then again we have a forklift to move them around. Heh heh.

Thin material is going to warp. You'll be wanting to tack objects to the table for fitting-up purposes. That method saves a lot of time and brain space. You'll want your table to be as flat as possible and that won't happen with thin stuff.

If you want to save money, use mild steel. then buy a piece of plywood to cover it when not in use. No reason to spend money on stainless when you're going to scuff the hell out of it anyway..

Really you think milled steel will work even though It will be left out side all the time. I thought about it but didn't seem like a good choice due to the rust. Plan was to preserve a flat surface and not bolt the piece of metal to the bench. I was going to do this by welding three hooks directly to the under side of the metal. Hooks that would fit snug under the overhangs of the bench.

So i guess i could clamp a piece of ply wood to the steel. But in my neck of the woods a piece of ply wood will break down in a year. Way too much water even for pressure treated.I would have to seal it. Honestly i don't think its a good idea.

The bench is of decent size as well I may try to stick to some thing thinner and simply insulate it. Thanks for the tips it helped me think it out ill post some finished picks when its done.