Rusted btwn outer brass fitting and iner steel shaft
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Rusted btwn outer brass fitting and iner steel shaft

As you can see from the pictures, it is rusted between the brass fitting and the inner steel shaft. Even if I buy a new one it will happen again. What are your experiences with this problem and what are your solutions. The last picture is of my McDonald's Senior Coffee cup and PB Penetrating Oil. It melted. WTH, if it would hold coffee it should hold Penetrating Oil. Oh Well, I took the shaft to my buddy's house and we are soaking it in Evapo-Rust Remover from Tractor Supply. The shaft turns the Fine Control, Amperage, Rheostat on my Miller 250 NT.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: Rusted btwn outer brass fitting and iner steel shaft

As for the cup - it's a petroleum product. What would you expect?

Make sure you run the exposed section of rusty shaft on a wire wheel before attempting to press out and threading a 1/4" or thicker piece of material to hold in to keep from damaging the threads wouldn't ber a bad idea.

Once you get it apart or if you have to replace with a new one, antisieze on the shaft will prevent a repeat.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Re: Rusted btwn outer brass fitting and iner steel shaft

Thank you duane55. I could not tell if there was some kind of a keeper on the shaft.