PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

dcs
04-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Howdy.

I'm in the market for an inexpensive drill press & I'm looking for something a little heavier & better than the $199.00 HF special.

Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=108793&categoryId=93622

-or-

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G7948

Franz
04-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Sadly, they are all made by WeFlungDung casting & Machining works in China. Grizzly used to be better quality, but lately, there have been a lot of postings on machine tool sites about their quality dropping off.
If you're buying mail order, Grizzly may have better customer service, and be around onger to supply parts.
Since the evolution of the homeowner market, there is no shortage of sellers offering questionable product.

HWooldridge
04-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Check out the local school district auctions and you will probably find some good used ones.

Newb
04-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Keep an eye in the paper for a shop closing up or someone going out of business. I picked up a nice older delta rockwell for about $25 about 4-6 months ago that was tons better than the pos jetcrap that I had. Sold the jetcrap to some dude for about what I paid for it and couldn't be happier. All I had to do was put a new belt on it for about $6.

BSOK
04-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Like HWooldridge said, check your local school auctions. There are often excellent deals on heavy duty machines. We purchased 2 nice Powermatic drill presses from an auction a few years ago. Inspect the machine carefully and look at the motor nameplate if it is available. Some machines have 3 phase motors so you might have to get a phase converter or switch out the motor to single phase 120v or 220v.

Good luck.

Ryel
04-15-2004, 09:44 AM
school auctions? great idea but I have never seen one advertised; how do you find them?

malibu101
04-15-2004, 10:29 AM
On school auctions, I forget how I found out about it, but, I was at an auction a local vo-tech school 2 years ago. Anyway, the machinery they had for sale was being sold because they were updating to new equipment. They needed to update, the stuff was mostly junk and sold for way more than it was worth. There are gold nuggets around but don't hold your breath on school auctions. Just relaying my experience.