PDA

View Full Version : More on that $200 TIG

eastcoasteddie
03-31-2007, 04:58 PM
what they've been saying on here about the Tungsten the machine comes with sucking, they are right
I just bought some Lanthanated Tungsten from HTP America (where I buy all my supplies as of late)
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/eastcoasteddie/1175352537.jpg

and the stuff is beautiful. It stays sharp much longer than the crap tung, and doesn;t stick tot he work when you start the arc. Makes using this TIG machine a lot more fun than work. Allows you to start focusing on stacking some dimes rather than if the tung will contaminate next time you start the arc.

I also bought a torch Parts Kit from HTP that includes gas cups, collets, collet bodies and extra tungsten (2pcs each), in 1/8", 3/32", 1/16" and .040" in both Ceratated and Lanthanated.

David R
03-31-2007, 08:09 PM
Nice frame. did you ever drip a camshaft? Looks great.

David

Toysrme
03-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Please make sure the welds on that cam are 100% sound before letting soomeone on that bike frame. The metalurgie of camshafts varry wildly.

David R
04-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Camshafts are made of cast Iron or at least most of em. Production models are for sure. They break when dropped. Snap like a toothpick. That was my point.

David

phila.renewal
04-01-2007, 08:53 AM
The first time any large lateral force or compressive force (due to what's called the "slenderness factor") is put on that cast cam, it will break. As David R says, like a toothpick.

It's a great idea in terms of looks -- would you consider adding a steel tube behind it to take the loads it will be subject to. If you want to go for the look, maybe make an assembly that resembles a head with tappets, cam shaft bearings and all (make it look as if it came out of a huge overhead valve engine). Or make something that looks like the valley in a V8.

eastcoasteddie
04-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Oh, man, I screwed up!
I was supposed to paste HTP's website in there, and not that pic of the frame!!!!

Anyhow, the story with the frame is, it's a bro of mine who is building that bike. The cam is a steel billet roller out of an olds race motor.
He will be keeping a close eye on the welds where the tubing meets the cam. HE made that frame by hand, and if the cam or anything around it cracks, it's easy for him to replace that with DOM tubing since He knows how...

here is HTP's website that I originally wanted to paste...:

http://www.htpweld.com/products/tungsten_electrodes/index.htm

MicroZone
04-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Ha - neat frame idea. My thoughts exactly on the cam - they aren't too stable side to side, be careful. Have a replica made out of a 2" solid piece of steel. I thought about the same thing...when I get around to making a frame. Too many projects, not enough time.