PDA

View Full Version : ???????'s for maybe Zap or Zero Tolorence

FearcityINC
04-09-2007, 11:00 PM
I got a 92 s10 Blazer.......I was wondering if I could do away with my stock steering setup..... Especially my inner tie rod ends......it looks like I could just fab up something that went from my steering box, out to my outer ends......is that pracitcal....safe.....or am I just too cheap to buy new inner tie rod ends....:blush:

maxyedor
04-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Are you talking about replacing a tube with TREs with a solid peice? I know you can do it with high end tubing (DOM, HREW, 4130) and heim joints, and it will be way stronger and safer than stock, but you have to have some sort of adjustable joint, both for allignment adjustments and so it will still turn. How much could new TREs possibly be, that fabing a new part will be cheaper/easier? Or mabye I missunderstood what you're trying to accomplish.

FearcityINC
04-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Naw....you're pretty much right....I wanna just do without the inner tre's......and just have outers......maybe i'm just retarded, but it just seems like way too many joints for me.....no pun intended.....Lots of guys with the mini blazers like me go to solid front axles and just run dom like u said and it just seems much simpler, and stronger to me!!!

maxyedor
04-09-2007, 11:46 PM
The proplem is that both ends need to rotate, or it will bind. I think you're stuck buying some new TREs, or you could bite the bullet and go heims:cool2:

Soon I'm going to build all new steering links for my Rover using 3/8" wall 4130, should be impossible to break.:laugh:

denrep
04-09-2007, 11:52 PM
...I wanna just do without the inner tre's...and just have outers...no pun intended...

Inner tie rods allow for verticle movement of the suspension, independant of the steering center link.

Also, everything in the steering linkage travels in an arc (pun intended) and this "sweep" must be taken into account.

You could build a very simple linkage, but bump steer would be just one problem.

A man can dream though...

ZTFab
04-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Max and denrep are right.

You have independent front suspension and will need to keep the inner tie-rods and either replace them with stock ones or go to heims and heavy wall tubing, which will NOT be cheap when compared to buying replacement parts. :eek:

The solid axle conversion you talked about has a different steering setup than what you have on your truck. It has a drag link and a single tie-rod that goes between the steering arms.

Your steering consists of a pitman arm, center link, Idler arm, and tie-rods. The center link allows the inner tie-rods to pivot on the same plane as the lower control arm to avoid bumpsteer (like denrep mentioned).

I would suggest just replacing the factory pieces.

...and if you think you're being a cheap bastard by trying to fab something, check out the prices of some left and right handed 3/4" FK teflon lined heims, tubing adapters and 4130 tubing. It would be cheaper to replace every single piece of your stock steering. :laugh:

- Paul

LSX89RS
04-14-2007, 04:18 PM
just convert it to a later model pinion setup