PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Arc Fabricator 251 ??

radar18w
04-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Still trying to decide which 250 mig to buy. I was all set on the 255c, but I came across the TA fabricator 251 on ebay for 1495 delivered. Seems to have alot of nice features for the price, but none of the local shops carry
them. I don't know where they are made, just that they are made by WeldSkill. It appears that for $350 less, I am getting alot of nice features over the 255c or esab 250(spot,stich,burnback,and dual cyl. racks). I can't find much info on this welder in the forums. I would appreciate any info on
this model, or if I'm better off just purchasing the 255c for more($1861 delivered). I'd hate to buy the Thermal Arc and find out it's made in China!!??

1990notch
04-14-2007, 05:45 PM
I have one myself. Very good quality machine, IMHO as good as the other two top brands. They're made in Malaysia. Go look on the Hobart forum, there's been a few posts there on this machine.

Doolittle
04-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I came this || close to buying one of those. It seems like alot of bang for the buck. You hardly ever seem em for sale used on ebay, so makes me think its built to last.

radar18w
04-14-2007, 08:02 PM
1990notch.....Wow, alot of threads on the Hobart site...thanks....and nice saw stand !! From what I read, all positive reviews on the TA251. I am curious if the low end is good on sheet metal with the smaller wire... says 20- 300 amp, where as the 255c/esab 250 are 30-300 amp?? I will need this mig for all around fabrication....with a spoolmate 185 also(rarely). Just don't wanna have to buy a smaller one for the lighter stuff....though the 180c is tempting.
Doolittle.....did you end up buying another brand, or just temptation??

Brand X
04-14-2007, 08:44 PM
The Thermal-arc is made in Malaysia. I have welded with the 281 and it works nice. I owned a 181 last year too. I would probably bite the bullet and buy the Lincoln 255c. Although I still would buy the Esab for myself. The Thermal 281 had some issues in the wire drive but is now fixed. It's really powerful 250 machine and will kick the Lincolns *** and probably the Esab too?? The Esab is really the top dog 250 in the area of output. It does look like Thermal had it in it's sights. :) Overall quality on the Lincoln machine is quite a bit better then the Thermal. Just by looking at them. I love my Thermal machines but the Japanese and American ones. :)

radar18w
04-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Brand X....thanks for the reply. After reading the Hobart threads, I was wondering if you were gonna get a Thermal Arc...but I see you still favor the Esab.:laugh: You still recomend the 255c for my application....but your fondness for your Esab does make it tough:confused: ....must be a nice machine!! Seems like the Esab 250 owners and the Lincoln 255c owners all love their machines.....I guess either way it's a good choice...just an expensive one....:eek:

Brand X
04-14-2007, 10:46 PM
You know Miller is coming out with a new 250 amp machine with a inductance control. I bet you will start hearing about that one soon. If you could hold off a bit, it might be worth your wait. It will be released in the PNW first.

Doolittle
04-14-2007, 11:55 PM
I ended up getting a lincoln, Just like the color and have a local rep that runs around. I have used the 250 esab and its a pretty sweet welder. Its very similar to the TA as far as specs are concerned, and just seems to have gobs of power. No pretty lights though (volt or amp meter) on either of those units. Id say if your going to do sheet metal with it, go for the lower amp model and check wire speed. lower the better. Good Luck. Yep, it was a delima for me, but I think Ive made a good decision. That new miller sounds pretty sweet. Ive used the 350 and 304 invertor miller migs and they work really well, just very expensive. Its nice to be able to tweek the inductance control for arc cone size. I think its available on the 250 esab? not sure.

The invertors didnt seem to have as much punch as the tapped transformer machines, but that might be me. They just seem to have a very consistent arc that is slightly different, but the results are the same. Id give the company a call, see how they treat you, see what kinda deal they can make and go from there. I dont think youll be dissappointed with any of these machines.

radar18w
04-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I'd hate to wait much longer....could be a long wait for the Miller, and might
be pricey....also have money now, wife will make sure I have no money later.:nono: Yeh, any of those machines would be fine....the TA251 is very tempting...but like Brand X said....the jap or american versions. Of course,
in a few years they might all be made elsewhere. I just worry if the TA breaks, how long is it gonna be down....none of the TA dealers around here
wanna sell them:confused: Well thanks for the help !!