PDA

View Full Version : My new bandsaw

steve45
05-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I picked up a new 4" x 6" bandsaw yesterday--NOT Harbor Freight. I already have the HF bandsaw, this one is sold by Cummins Industrial Tools, the folks that travel the country selling out of semi-trucks. Price was $200. It uses the same 64-1/2" blades.

So, why did I buy this one when I already have a similar HF saw?

1. This one has a taller, wider base that is more stable and easier to move.

2. This one has a real vise--and it's a quick lock/release type, too!

3. This one cuts angles by swivelling the saw, not the work. No more flimsy vise setup when trying to cut a 45 degree angle.

4. Like the HF saw, this one can be used in a vertical configuration. However, the table has about 3 times the area of the HF saw.

5. The blade guides on this saw appear to be sturdier than the HF saw.

6. This one has what appears to be a better, more positive shut-off switch.

One disadvantage is that the blade guard has a bunch of small screws that must be removed to change the blade. I'm going to change these over to thumbscrews.

I haven't actually used it yet, but I can't wait.

Supe
05-04-2007, 10:53 AM
That looks pretty nice for $200. Our travelling tool show is by "Homier", so I always assumed whatever they had would be pretty junky. Maybe it's worth me taking a 2nd look next time.

steve45
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Yea, we get the Homier guys, too. I mentioned that I had the HF saw to the guy running the show and he said that Mr. Cummins had personally designed this unit--for what that's worth. It may not be available from the other outlets.

Welderjones18
03-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Yeah the cummins people came here back in the summer I bought a 6 inch bech grinder for $20.00 works good. I like that saw more than my tsc Clarke bandsaw(same as the hf).
Thanks,chris