PDA

View Full Version : New Invertig 201

papasloan
05-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Finally got the new welder hooked up tonight. Played with a little alum and some stainless.
So far so good. I was using my #9 air cooled torch at 80amps. It gets really hot on ac. Think I'll start looking for a water cooler. I'm liking the small Miller.
Kicked up the frequency and played with the rest of the settings. I like it. Personally I think its the best bang for the buck. And I can use all the 25' accessories I already have.

phila.renewal
05-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Very nice. Congrats on the new machine.

Weld up some aluminum and post some pics!

Y'know, if you feel like it I'm curious about the difference between weld quality in an inside corner or T joint with a 60 Hz square wave versus the more focused arc at higher frequencies your inverter machine can do. I read about this but my machine is 60 Hz square wave so I can't try it. Any chance you can try it and let inquiring minds know? Wouldn't change machines but I'm just curious more than anything else.

papasloan
05-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks.
I did 1 inside corner last night. Frequency was 120 and the balance at 60% using 3/32 5356. Overall it seemed easier to control the puddle. I'll practice some more and keep you posted. Hard to really tell with only a few inches of weld. One thing I did notice is the cleaning is there but not as pronounced as the Lincoln and Miller machines I have been using.
I'll post some welds tomorrow night.

papasloan
05-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Here are a couple welds I did earlier tonight. Top weld is a stainless. Bottom welds are aluminum. Top alum is a butt weld. Bottom weld is just a stringer bead. 1/16 alum 4043 1/16 filler freq. at 120 and balance at 70%. The welder is more capable than I am.

phila.renewal
05-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Looks really good.

I'm nobody to comment -- but I will anyway. :)

In the spots where the bead humps up a little (left side of the stringer bead and hard to see but the SS bead) more heat.

In the areas where the "dimes" are not distinct, you might need to shorten your arc length. I'm told 1/16" to 1/8" is about right (but it is hard to hold it that close without dipping it :p ). When arc length is longer, I get the "dimes" kind of melting into one another instead of being nice and distinct.

I can't do much better so I should probably keep still but just trying to help out. Hopefully somebody with more experience will comment and we'll both learn.

Overall it looks really good.

Have fun with it. :waving:

fun4now.
05-20-2007, 05:47 AM
The welder is more capable than I am.
LOL :p i felt the same way when i fired up my TA-185. great welder though, congrats on your 201.:D