PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Tool Box?

blacksheep
05-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Anyone have a tool Box from HF, i was looking at this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90320

I cant see many problems comming from them, but i can picture a problem with the draws maybe,

Who has one, How do you like it, What problems have u had if any.?

ThunderRobo
05-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Looks like another cheap item from HF.....

I can image bad spot welds, bad finish, bad fit, bad casters, bad sliders, bad drawers..... see the trend here?

Reptile
05-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I have 2 of them and if I had more room I would have more. One is a top and bottom setup and one is just the bottom with their 9x20 metal lathe mounted on top. Both are used at home and are loaded with tools, and I do mean loaded :laugh: . Only problem I've had is one came without the bolts that hold the grab bar on. They're better in quality than my Craftsman set-up that cost more but is a lot smaller in size. Loaded or should I say overloaded the drawers still open smoothly. I guess one flaw is when fully open the back of the drawer isn't flush with the front of the unit, there is a 1" back set. Best part is I used the 20% off coupons so they were even a better deal :p ! For home use they can't be beat. It surprises me that more people don't have and love that toolbox.

blacksheep
05-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Yea, Thats what i figured, it says it has ball bearing draws and what not...

And as for the bad spot welds, I have a welder.. and know how to use it :laugh:

Im just looking for somthing bigger than my craftsman box.... And i didnt wanna spend 200 bucks on craftsman top box.. when i can have tripple the room of my current box

woodironman
05-25-2007, 05:04 AM
A friend of mine bought the stainless one that they have. I was suprised at how good it actually is. The only problem he has had is, two time his bottom box has arrived w/shipping damage.

fabman_52
06-02-2007, 10:54 PM

I can image bad spot welds, bad finish, bad fit, bad casters, bad sliders, bad drawers..... see the trend here?

Sorry, but I have nothin but good to say about their tool boxes, wish it was true with all the other stuff.
I bought item #'
94496-OUGA
94497-OUGA and two
90321-OVGA's a while back and they beat the hell out of my Craftsman! If you shop right at H/F you can get some really good stuff. I alway's recommend getting the extended warranty. I'll post some pix of what I've purchased lately, and so far happy with it all. But I also got junk there too!

Always make sure that the tool will fill your needs, don't buy a 110 volt welder to weld 1/2" plate then bitch cause it won't do the job. Trust me the people that work there don't (as a general rule) know what end of a screwdriver to use. Be an educated customer. Go on line and do a little research it only takes a min.

Thanks, George.

elvergon
06-02-2007, 11:43 PM
I´ve seen there in the shop and they look pretty good. That should be a nice item and better in price than any other...

after all how bad can a drawer be designed? they´re made in china but so does craftsman...

I´ll get them for sure

tv1000s
08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
i got the small one it is not as wide but it is taller and black(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39421) i got it for $175 i did not know about the 20% coupon i think it is great in fact i gave away my small craftsman tool chest to a friend because i did not need it anymore now i wish i still had it. i over filled the new chest so much when i open the top 2 draws the top chest will fall over great item but if you buy one go to the store to get it and inspect it there thay can get damaged in shipping

mastersadon
08-13-2007, 01:09 AM
i got the small one it is not as wide but it is taller and black(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39421) i got it for $175 i did not know about the 20% coupon i think it is great in fact i gave away my small craftsman tool chest to a friend because i did not need it anymore now i wish i still had it. i over filled the new chest so much when i open the top 2 draws the top chest will fall over great item but if you buy one go to the store to get it and inspect it there thay can get damaged in shipping
i have that 11 drawer toolbox at work or i use to :P. the concrete floors are messed up with lots of cracks hole and huge pot holes. but i rolled it around everywhere. about two months of rolling, the bottem of the box is now bending inwards causing the wheels not to be even and gives the flip door trouble closing until i bent it back a little bit. and the bottem piece is a seperate piece of metal thats just folded and spot welded in place. but i think all toolboxes still prone to bending like it since a guys craftsman box bended to and he made a angle iron frame for the bottem of his and just sits his tool box inside of it. other than that the HF toolbox is really nice as long as u dont roll over a few pot holes :D

FireZapper
08-13-2007, 04:59 AM
I have it and love it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/FireZapper/tools/Garagecurrently006.jpg

More solid feel then other brands.
Drawers have a positive pop when closed the whole way. I can leave mine just before that and they stay closed.
It don't have any wiggle in the slides. I can push the lower ones closed with my foot and the go right in.

I've had mine now almost 3 years.

Me!
08-17-2007, 11:21 PM
about time they had something good :)

comp
08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Cool :cool2:

Shubes
02-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the thread. This is what I love about forums like these; I was tempted to go buy a Craftsman toolbox because I'm sick of the cheap plastic stuff from Home Depot and other retail stores.

On a whim, I decided to see what HF had, and found something akin to a Craftsman, at a fraction of the cost. I'm on my way out there today and will pick one up based on what I learned from this thread.

Oh, and I'm gonna pick up one of those cheap Chicago Electric auto-darkening helmets, too...thanks to this 20% discount. :cool2:

Tailshaft56
02-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Where you guys finding the 20% off coupons. I haven't seen one in over a year. Really cuts back on what I buy from HF.

Oldtimer
02-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Harbor Freight actually has some fairly decent stuff. I don't think the cheap auto-darking helmets are a very good deal. First off, I don't want to trust my eyesight to cheap Chinese optics. Second, my son has used two of these for a year now. He said they both went dark and won't lighten up anymore.

redram71
02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I bought that same tool box 4 years ago, and for the price it cant be beat! I wish all HF's merchandise shared the same quality!

mendoje1
02-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Hello All, just joined up, this is my first post.

I too have this same rollaway, bought it about 3 years ago. I also own or use daily rollaways (and not the cheapest ones) from Craftsman, Kennedy, and the stainless steel one from Costco, but I have to say that this HF rollaway blows them all away. You have to go look at it for yourself, then go visit Sears, Lowes, HomeDept, Costco, SamsClub etc and you'll see that none of the other boxes come close, even the most expensive of the offerings. This HF box is big, heavier guage, ball bearing drawer slides, and the sheet metal on the drawers edges are rolled over, which really stiffens up the drawer, meaning they dont rack. None of the drawers of the other brands above go to this design expense, and the cheapness of their drawers show. Even when not on sale ($499) it's a great buy, right now in SoCal it's on sale for $379, and then throw the %15 coupon on that. I know some of you have SnapOns and other highend rollaways, at work the techs are also provided big blue SnapOn's, and who wouldn't want a SnapOn, but for my money, I cant see a lot of practical difference between the HF box and a SnapOn. I know that sounds crazy, but like I said you need to see this box in person, horse it around, then go look at the other medium priced boxes that most of us can afford. No comparison.

Jeff

02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
DANG IT !!!! I wish I hadn't read this. Now I am going to have to go buy one and I already have 5. Four Kennedy and a Craftsman.

This is the first time reading this forum has cost me money :realmad:

mendoje1
02-24-2008, 06:07 PM
6010, I hear you! I have two 15% off coupons, and I really want to buy two more of these rollaways, but I'm out of room! Jeff

bhardy501
02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I too have this same box. I would put it upside any other box of comparative size. Great box especially for the money. I want to get the top chest to go with mine. I have a 26" machinist chest sitting on top which leaves a small work surface on one side. You cant go wrong with this box.

regularfella
03-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Hello All, just joined up, this is my first post.

I too have this same rollaway, bought it about 3 years ago. I also own or use daily rollaways (and not the cheapest ones) from Craftsman, Kennedy, and the stainless steel one from Costco, but I have to say that this HF rollaway blows them all away. You have to go look at it for yourself, then go visit Sears, Lowes, HomeDept, Costco, SamsClub etc and you'll see that none of the other boxes come close, even the most expensive of the offerings. This HF box is big, heavier guage, ball bearing drawer slides, and the sheet metal on the drawers edges are rolled over, which really stiffens up the drawer, meaning they dont rack. None of the drawers of the other brands above go to this design expense, and the cheapness of their drawers show. Even when not on sale ($499) it's a great buy, right now in SoCal it's on sale for $379, and then throw the %15 coupon on that. I know some of you have SnapOns and other highend rollaways, at work the techs are also provided big blue SnapOn's, and who wouldn't want a SnapOn, but for my money, I cant see a lot of practical difference between the HF box and a SnapOn. I know that sounds crazy, but like I said you need to see this box in person, horse it around, then go look at the other medium priced boxes that most of us can afford. No comparison.

Jeff

This guy speaks the truth the HF guy told me these are comparable to Snap-On, Mack, etc. and he's absolutely right. Here's a link to the one I purchased that made me sick for ever having purchased my Snap-On

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90320

Skwerly
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
HF isn't all bad, they have a LOT of cool, quality stuff there. One just has to have an idea what "cheapo" is, and avoid it. I say go for it, I have felt these and they are very durable feeling.

tanglediver
03-15-2008, 10:34 PM
I just happen to be across the street from the local HF outlet store last week. My actual destination was closed when I arrived, so, remembering this thread, I swung into Harbor Freight with the expressed purpose to kick the tires of the brick red box.
I already own a Craftsman box, and I won't buy any more of them based on my experience thus far. :gunsfirin A couple of months at work and the wheels already let go of all their ball bearings a few at a time! After that I made an angle iron frame with HF wheels underneath, 3 and a half years later, those wheels are still just as smooth as the day we planted the box in the frame! There are also three other mechanics in our shop with Snap-On boxes. :cool2: For the money and quality, I would get the HF box in a minute. :D

c4cruiser
03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
I checked out that tool box at the local HF store yesteday and I was impressed with it. It is sturdy and I liked how smooth and strong the drawer slides are. It's pretty heavy too at close to 300lbs.

The local store has them for $499.99 and with the 15% off coupon, that would be $425 plus any taxes. Even though the online price is $399.99, you pay at least $62 in shipping and handling charges and I found some fine print that said the freightcompany can tack on extra tailgate charges if they want. Maybe fuel surcharges too.

I was at Sears just before going to HF and the boxes they had were cheap in comparison. Actually they were more like what I would have expected from HF!

Even the $2000 tool chest Sears had on display was made from very thin material and the slides were so cheap (no ball bearings) that the drawers could be moved side-to-side by an inch when extended out.

For the money, the 90320 tool box is a good deal.

mendoje1
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
The local store has them for $499.99 and with the 15% off coupon, that would be $425 plus any taxes. Even though the online price is $399.99, you pay at least $62 in shipping and handling charges ...

Print the online page for 399.99 and bring it to your local Harbor Freight, they will match that price, at least the stores here in SoCal do. And chances are also good the 15% coupon will still apply.

Jeff

carlstadt
03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
:blob1:I just got a coupon booklet in the mail from HF the tool box 90320 is $299. :blob1:

Bill

ELCO1
03-24-2008, 08:46 PM
This weekend a buddy and I went to our local so he could get one,unfortunately they were out, the warehouse was out and they didn't know when they were going to get more..

Hope you have a lot better luck..

vertigo_2_20
06-03-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm currently considering the HF 90320 13-drawer rolling chest, but there's something I can't figure out about it. On the website (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90320), it's listed as having "23,138 cubic inches of storage space." The one listed in this forum which appears to be the same thing and has all the same measurements is listed as having "11,528 cubic inch storage capacity." And when I calculated it myself using the listed drawer dimensions I came up with ~10,854 in^3:

(36.75*16*3.5) + (5*22.125*16.25*2.125) + (22.125*16.25*5.375) + (5*11.875*16.25*2.125) + (11.375*16.25*5.375) = 10,854.328125

So my question is, which of these numbers is right? I'm guessing it's the one from the website, which seems reasonable if you assume the listed drawer dimensions are incorrect (when compared to the overall dimensions, and looking at the picture, it's obvious one or the other is way off). Anybody have one of these or have a HF close by that they can verify the actual capacity?

Broccoli1
06-03-2008, 04:52 PM
They are on sale

90320=379.00
90321= 197.00
92099= 296.00

and if you receive the Snail Mail Flyer there is a 15% off One Item Coupon

StillBoostin
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
The red HF box is on sale this month, but so is there all stainless box too. I like the look of the all stain less but you can't get the side box that I know of. There big 56" is on sale too. I have a lot of tool and my crapsman box isn't cutting it anymore. I have the older ball bearing top and bottom with the terribly made grip latch middle over priced box. The grip latch sucks in my opinion. I would never by one again.

Any one on here have the big 56" box. It's 22" deep I believe. How does it slide and how are the casters holding up if you have it loaded?

James

drivethruboy54
06-10-2008, 01:45 PM
thats the one im lookin at too. I checked out the smaller one in a store yesterday, the drawers seems strong, smooth, and have alot less side to side (rack i believe is what its called?) than some snap on boxes ive seen.

tnjind
06-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I bought one about four years ago I am in charge of the maintenance department in an injection molding factory. I have it LOADED down. I have a Crapsman top box on it.
I have had to weld the drawers on the Crapsman but not on the HF bottom box.

Believe me I am not easy on it. Once I get my shop finished I plan on buying three more for it.

Much better quality the the rest of there stuff.

TwinClone
07-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I have the full setup of this tool box.. base cabinet, top tool box, and side drawer cabinet. It's absolutely GREAT! In fact, I'm going to buy another side cabinet to put on the other side. Heavy duty all the way. I'd recommend this to anyone. I paid $900 ($399, $299, $199) on sale for all three pieces at a local HF store. It also includes rubber drawer inserts. I'll admit a Snap On is better, but who can afford that?.

mark

eyepoppin customs
07-21-2008, 11:26 PM
i have the large bottom and side cabinet and i bought it from my snap on guy for 500. and i love it i am looking for a top box i just havent had the time to get to hf to get one. like i said i love it and would buy another any day.i think of it as a place to put my tools not a show piece. y spend 5000 of more on a snap on, or mack, and have 500 in tools when you can buy this one for 500 and have 5000 in tools.:D

TwinClone
07-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Same Idea here EyePop.. More Tools, less Bling for me.

mark

duaneb55
07-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Anyone have a tool Box from HF, i was looking at this one

I cant see many problems comming from them, but i can picture a problem with the draws maybe,

Who has one, How do you like it, What problems have u had if any.?

Our company recently bought several for our shop and they're an EXCELLENT box for the money. Twice the box my almost 30yo MAC box is (top of the line at the time) and cost 1/3 of what it did back then. Granted, my MAC boxes are still with me and will most likely outlive me but the HF is as rugged and the roller slides in the HF are what set it apart from ol' MAC.

Get it.:drinkup:

duaneb55
07-26-2008, 09:39 PM
They are on sale

90320=379.00
90321= 197.00
92099= 296.00

and if you receive the Snail Mail Flyer there is a 15% off One Item Coupon

The 15% off coupons are great :D but they can't be used on items that are on sale. I hate going to HF - went this afternoon and left over $670 there!:dizzy: It was that blasted sales flyer!:rolleyes: Picked up a 20T press, paid for a special order generator my son and I need for a project we're working on (I plan on posting some shots soon), some welding supplies and a few other odds and ends that you never know when you'll need 'em.

FormerTankSarge
11-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Great post, I've been looking at Lowes, Home Depost and Sears, will have to wait for the next sale.

mendoje1
11-14-2008, 01:48 AM
The 15% off coupons are great :D but they can't be used on items that are on sale.

Hmmmm, I must be going to the wrong Harbor Freight stores, because all of the HF's in my area (Los Angeles) regularly apply the flyer coupons to sale items!

Jeff

tsbrewers
11-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I too have these two boxes and really like them. I spent a lot of time looking for boxes, ones that I could afford anyway, they were the best buys by far.

also, they should accept coupons on sale prices. Both our local stores do with no problem. I have many times printed out cheaper prices from their web site plus used the 15-20-25% off coupons along with the sale.

I will also watch for the sale prices, on forums, their site, etc. and when I find one that is really cheap, I save the web page to the computer for when I might need that product. For example, for a while they had the HVLP guns on sale for $20. I saved that page to my computer and a couple times over the years I have used a print out from that sale. There is no expiration dates so they usually take them.

Brew

Skwerly
11-18-2008, 01:46 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about them - drawers operate smoothly and they are super tough - from what I hear!

KurtRardin
07-21-2009, 10:10 AM
FYI, Harbor Freight actually used the plans from a discontinued Snap On tool box to make the 90320. Suposedly, when one of Snap On's employees came to work with HF, HF was able to purchase the plans from Snap On directly, and sent the plans to China and said "Make it." Its no wonder why people like it the way they do!

Cavmastergunner
07-21-2009, 10:58 AM

I've got the Bottom box with two side boxes attached to it. (TractorSupply top box, same dimentions) 3 years old, solid as the Pound. Bottom drawer loaded to the hilt with 3/4 ratchet set, both SAE and Metric. Total weight of tools in the whole rig ca. 1500lbs. no problem whatsoever.

Always remember Friends and Neighbors, that since 9/12/2001 the American people have slept peacefully at night because there are Rough Cavalrymen overseas doing violence on their behalf.

ahoron
07-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Harbor freight by me has 2 boxes one a 36" p.o.s. The larger one is good quality, with good slides.

milwiron
08-01-2009, 01:23 PM

I knew a couple of guys that had these in a shipyard machine shop. Rough daily use and rolled all over the place on rough floors. They held up excellently, I didn’t see the above mentioned trend.