PDA

View Full Version : Need info about a Linde mig welder

APF
06-14-2007, 05:16 PM
We may be purchasing a used LInde mig. On front of the welder it says power supply type VI-200. (Does this mean it is a 200 amp?) The model # is SWM-14. The serial # is 691. Another # on the welder is E 1684972 or possibly E 1884972. Any idea how old it is? How about availability of parts for it?

weldgault
10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
SWM-14 is a wire feeder and a VI 200 is on of the best machines made in the 70's. V- voltage and I=inductance. will give more info if needed.

weldersales
10-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Back then Linde loved those cute names and acronyms - mig was 'semi automatic inert gas metal arc' or 'sigma' - therefore all feeders were 'swm' - sigmatic wire machine. Even had a small feeder gun 'sigmette'. Don't you just love it?
Anytime you see that wide green band across the front of power source, someone else built it. In this case, P&H. What is unusual about the VI200 is that it is single phase and, as weldgault says, one fine little welder, and yes, 200 amps.
The SWM 14 had a mechanical governor with flyweights and contact points just like your mother's Sunbeam Mixmaster in the kitchen. They let the motor run all the time and used a solenoid to engage the pressure roll to begin wire feeding. weldersales

Mack Shirley
10-06-2009, 10:02 PM
SWM-14 is a wire feeder and a VI 200 is on of the best machines made in the 70's. V- voltage and I=inductance. will give more info if needed.
Does anyone know where there is more Data, (users Manuals) for the VI-200 or SWM14? Thanks for any help!

Mack Shirley
10-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Back then Linde loved those cute names and acronyms - mig was 'semi automatic inert gas metal arc' or 'sigma' - therefore all feeders were 'swm' - sigmatic wire machine. Even had a small feeder gun 'sigmette'. Don't you just love it?
Anytime you see that wide green band across the front of power source, someone else built it. In this case, P&H. What is unusual about the VI200 is that it is single phase and, as weldgault says, one fine little welder, and yes, 200 amps.
The SWM 14 had a mechanical governor with flyweights and contact points just like your mother's Sunbeam Mixmaster in the kitchen. They let the motor run all the time and used a solenoid to engage the pressure roll to begin wire feeding. weldersales
The wire feed motor on my SWM-14 stops and starts with trigger pull. It also has the aforementioned solenoid for roller pressure. Was there an option, or has mine been "booger wired"?