PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin V4 air cooled petrol motors

yogie
06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Howdy chaps, I'm looking at Wisconsin V4 air cooled petrol motors mated up to a dc welder, how good are these motors, it is a old rig, but it wont be doing a heavy work load. The motor apparntly needs rings, are these still availible in the states ??

thanks chaps

smithboy
06-23-2007, 08:32 AM
http://www.wisconsinmotors.com/v465d.html

This might help. My neighbor a few doors down has an ooooold hobart with a wisconsin...it's still running and being used on job sites every day.

yogie
06-24-2007, 05:43 AM
thanks smitty. Are they a good motor, generally speaking. Top end or bottom end of the market???

smithboy
06-25-2007, 07:46 AM
All the ones I have seen are well used and still going. I don't know how they stack up against other competitors, however, they are definately "name brand" industrial engines. I have a BIG small-engine parts and tear-down manual that covers "all major brands under 20 hp" and wisconsin is one of the engines that are listed. I noticed that they also produce the Continental engine...this is a mainstay of bigger engine-drive welders.

David R
06-25-2007, 06:40 PM
4 cyl wisconson is a cool motor. My dad had one crank start. It was a nice machine. Noisy because it was air cooled. They have tapered roller bearing crankshaft and carry 5 psi of oil pressure. Ski lifts used them for back up power for the lift. The lift ran at 1/4 speed with the wisconson.

David

yogie
06-26-2007, 04:44 AM
thanks so much chaps, all great info, keep it comming if you have more info.

:waving:

Rick Moran
06-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Back in the 80's, I used to work for a company that used them for flat saw concrete cutting machines and 400 hz generators. I had to rebuild a few of them and at that time after long hard use in the field. They were probably the best air cooled industrial motors on the market with cast iron block, a huge fan/flywheel and lots of low endtorque.

We used both the 35 and 65 HP versions. The 35 is a flat-head (not as reliable), and the 65 is OHV w/aluminum heads. They have Timken taper roller bearings on the crank drive side for side loading (belt drives). The 65 is basically a V-4 Harley with a long stroke and large bore. They were electric start, but supplied with a large hand crank for emergency starting. Kind of strange for the day like a Model T Ford w/o the spark retard function.

I also worked on a twin 15HP that was on an Army generator they would paracute in to a war zone. The Army version was all aluminum though.

As a curious side note and more info than anyone needs:

My boss was a crazy, ecentric millionare who held the land speed record for 20 years at Bonneville in a stock car class. He had me hang turbos on these engines. The turbos diminshed the life of these dinosaur motors but he got what he wanted. He even had me do a port & polish job with oversized valves on one experiemental engine to get more power out of it. We had Scat Industries cut a custom 180* crankshaft for it. I installed 350 Chevy exhaust valves for the intake valves and found some proportional Ford valves for the exhaust. Along with the turbo, it made a few more HP but wasn't worth the time, effort or money. We hung a generator on them and had an electric, resistance load bank type dyno to verifiy performance results.

When the Chevy 4.0L V-6 came out, he had me build a saw with one of those too. I installed a governor to keep it in the power range and had a custom 8 core radiator made for it to keep it cool at the 0-1 MPH crawling speed. It swung a 40" X 3/8" wide custom diamond blade and would make an 18" deep cut at 15 FPM in one pass.