PDA

View Full Version : Hobart Hefty CC/CV

kwale86
06-28-2007, 06:14 PM
I recently bought a used Hobart Hefty CC/CV at an auction thinking it was a small 110 volt wire feeder. After I bought it I realized that there was no power cord and no welding amperage control. After further research I learned that this wire feeder needs a power source. I cannot find an owners manual for it so I dont even know where to start. I have an old Lincoln AC DC 225 that I was thinking of using but I dont want to just hook it up & fry something inside the Hobart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kale

MAC702
06-28-2007, 06:28 PM
You can order the manual from here:
https://www.hobartwelders.com/owners_manual/order_oldmanuals.php

You can use the older Lincoln on DC. Do you have some Innershield or self-shielded flux-cored wire?

kwale86
06-28-2007, 06:38 PM
It actually has a gas hookup with it & came with a partial roll of wire. I didnt really wasnt to spend the money on a manual until I found out whether it even works or not.

MAC702
06-28-2007, 07:03 PM
You will not be able to do short-circuit GMAW very well with your CC (constant current) machine.

That set-up will work best in dual-shielded or self-shielded flux-cored processes, or even maybe a spray transfer, but you're probably not looking to get into that.

What wire is in it?

kwale86
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I really wont be using it very much if I get it going so I want to get the simplest & cheapest setup I can get. I have welded with both gas and flux cored wire feed and & do like the gas setup the best so I would like to set it up that way. The spool of wire that is on it is a Hobart .030.

smithboy
06-28-2007, 07:53 PM
I have a hefty. They are great. If I remember correctly, the thick cable from the back of the hefty goes to the positive lead on the power source...you hook your ground cable (negative) directly from the welder to the work piece, then hook the sensing wire to the ground clamp (negative) to power up the feeder. I have run in both cc and cv mode, but cc does better with fluxcore, but you can get away with cc/gas with careful adjustment of the wire speed...but, there are better ways. Just to note, I have hooked up my hefty up backwards before I realized it...nothing happened. Not a guarantee you wont fry anything, but I have done it more than once. I'll check tonight just to make sure my info is correct...I might even get ya a picture.

MAC702
06-28-2007, 08:03 PM
... I want to get the simplest & cheapest setup I can get. ...The spool of wire that is on it is a Hobart .030.
Just don't blame the machines when they won't easily do what you want them to.

I guess I was mostly asking whether the current wire was solid or cored, not what size it was. (I can't remember the last time we got a question and the guy told us everything about the wire and ALL the machine's settings.)

For GMAW, hook the feeder up to the machine's DC+ output, and put the work clamp on the DC-, just like most DC Stick welding.

If the Hefty has a CC/CV switch, like my LN-25, make sure it is set to CC. Hook up the gas, use a solid wire, and start seeing what settings work. Keep us posted.

kwale86
06-28-2007, 08:53 PM
It is solid wire, not flux core. This may seem like a dumb question for you professionals, but what does GMAW stand for? My welder does have a switch for CC or CV mode. What would I use each of these modes for?
I took a welding class in high school & I grew up welding on a farm but I am a little rusty on my terms and acronyms. I appreciate all of your help getting me going.

DDA52
06-28-2007, 09:03 PM
GMAW is short for Gas Metal Arc Welding better known as MIG welding.

The CC is for Constant Current which will be what your stick welding machine will be. The CV is for Constant Voltage which is what a MIG machine is. The switch will have to be in CC for the unit to work on a stick machine. Your Lincoln may run it, but it may not. My Thunderbolt wouldn't run my CC/CV feeder. Not enough voltage. It won't hurt anything that I know of...it just won't work if it doesn't have enough voltage.

tresi
07-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Let us know how it works for you. If your welder doesn't have enough voltage to run it you shouldn't have much trouble sell that wire feeder.

smithboy
07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
I checked and my hookup instructions are right for the solid wire and gas. I didn't get a picture, however...and, now I am out of town...sorry about that. A lot of the point of these wire feeders is to provide versitility in power sources and locations...not necessarily having the very best feeder for a given process.

katana1150
08-19-2007, 03:58 AM
I also have a Hobart Hefty CC/CV that I run off my Ranger8. I have run it in CC and CV mode and it works well on both. CC mode for flux core seems to be a little smoother and more like the machines at work. Don't worry about hooking the cables up "Backwards" as it were!. The Hefty will run in both DCEN and DCEP (Reverse and Straight polarity respectfully) In fact most if not all self-shielding wires require straight polarity, where as CO2 shielded flux cored wires run in reverse polarity.

I too got mine second hand without a manual however, apart from physical abuse such as crushing it or dropping it from great hights the only warning I have heard of is to avoid prolonged use over 300 amps. I'm guessing over 300amp it is no longer 100% duty cycle.

I recently did a job with it running .052 Co2 flux core wire through it and it performed very well. I finished off the better half of a 33lbs roll and apart from the welder running out of gasoline twice, the hefty never stopped once! Demanding 200 amps from the little ranger8 tends to use up the fuel :)

I have also used the hefty for Mig using a 75%-25% argon/co2 gas mix and while there are better welding machines out there specificly designed for mig I was happy with the results.

Play around with it for a while! I'm sure that you will not be dissapointed!

TozziWelding
08-22-2007, 06:02 PM
I have 2 Heftys, and they are every bit as good as an LN-25.

bigdogie
12-14-2010, 11:28 PM
sorry started new thread