PDA

View Full Version : Hobart plasma cutter not working

jbone
07-18-2007, 04:19 PM
HI,

A friend of mine owns a hobart plasma cutter (not sure which model) but its a small one. In the middle of cutting 1/8th inch mild steel the p/c stopped cutting. It would irratically arc when trying to cut almost as if it didnt have a good ground, however it had a perfect ground. we tried replacing the old tip with a new one and now it doesnt even spark, arc or anything. It just blows air. We re-assembled multiple times, cleaned it multiple times, exactly as the hobart instructions say. We are out of ideas, and really need to hurry this project along. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!!!

MicroZone
07-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Having the specific model would help. They vary from model to model. You need to have your working clamp as close to the cutting area as possible. The area which the working clamp is attached should be clean and free of dirt, oil, paint, etc. Make sure the tip collar is on tight as well. Other than that, give Hobart tech support a call. They were VERY helpful when I called asking about an old TIG welder.

jbone
07-18-2007, 06:35 PM
thanks!! I will have my friend give them a call, and I will try to find out which model

coldlap
07-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Most plasma sets have a swirl ring behind the nozzle if that is missing you will have a problem