PDA

View Full Version : knee pads!

grindel
06-12-2012, 08:06 PM
what kind of knee pads are you guys using ? pros cons???

galencwi
06-12-2012, 08:15 PM
just curious Why do you need knee pads??? :laugh:

I would go to home depot and get the pair thats most comfortable for you.
The Proflex's black kneepads with a while plastic cap and 2 straps that hook over a button cut off my circulation. But they protect my knees well i usually unhook one strap so I'm not limping by the end of the day.

grindel
06-12-2012, 08:36 PM
have a job that is going to last a few weeks and its all overhead on my knees small crawl space in a computer type module. this is a pic of my helper grinding to show size

fortyonethirty
06-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Troxell neoprene knee pads. Best I've ever used, very comfortable.

Mango Matto
06-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I use some leather knee pads that I bought from a guy on craigslist, they work really well if I leave the top straps off. I am not sure where you could buy them because I can't seem to find them anywhere. I'm not sure what the scope of your work is, but It seems like a small dolly with a nice cushion seat would be perfect for that situation. It would be easier on your neck too.

Doug247
06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a few pairs of carhart jeans and pants with the double fronts on them, and i baught knee pads that roll up and stuff inside of the double front. You stand up and dont even know they are there. Ill never go to work without them again!

Doug247
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.softknees.com/kneepads.php. There u go

galencwi
06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
have a job that is going to last a few weeks and its all overhead on my knees small crawl space in a computer type module. this is a pic of my helper grinding to show size

i know how you feel i spent weeks working in double bottoms of ships and in crawl spaces that are not even 3 ft tall welding/grinding hunched over and overhead. the day just drags on. :gunsfirin:realmad:
anyway what Doug247 was talking about with the soft kneepads for carhart pants and jeans is a really good way to go. one guy I know just doubled them up 2 pair then sewed them in there and hes really happy. A lot of guys in the yard go that way.
Thinking of it i need to get smart and start doing that. i never had knee problems before this job. Over a year later Now getting up can take me a long time. Stay away from the strapped knee pads if you can.

turk
06-12-2012, 11:08 PM
I have a few pairs of carhart jeans and pants with the double fronts on them, and i baught knee pads that roll up and stuff inside of the double front. You stand up and dont even know they are there. Ill never go to work without them again!

The problem with these is that they are small, and sometimes you have to reposition them to hit your knees as you kneel. I took camp pad and cut it to shape for the double knee pants, and inserted two layers per knee. I have never hurt a knee since, and you don't notice they are there when standing.

killdozerd11
06-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I use the gel pads with hard caps from Lowes

Nothing like kneeling down on something sharp to remind you to wear them

soutthpaw
06-13-2012, 12:20 AM
I use these from Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/super-flexible-knee-pads-46697.html they have gel between neoprene and are really comfortable. the straps don't bind behind the knee either..

Dualie
06-13-2012, 12:38 AM
I recommend the troxell knee pads, mainly cuz i used to party with the ceo's daughter.

Rudy M
03-31-2013, 03:32 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/f4fb54.jpg
Here is the project going on right now that is solving the knee pad problem for everyone. The problem isn't the pad itself, its slipping down and over tightening of straps that is the problem. This product shows the full suppport for people still have their knee pad preference. Thi product is new and is stil seeking support, but they are still available for purchase. We want to help people by making the best product we can.

p.m. me for details.

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-verizon-us

Ohiotig
03-31-2013, 03:42 PM
I use pants with built in knee pads, absolutely awesome! Although I catch some flak from the guys in the shop, lol

dumb as a stump
03-31-2013, 11:29 PM
what about one of those roll around seats. It looks about the right height.

mwshaw
04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Lowe's carried the knee blades, knee pads with wheels. I find them handy for some jobs that involve moving around. Seems like they were about $60 but its been about a year so I cannot remember for sure. I don't use the straps just rest my knee in the pad and roll where I need to go.

Machine_Punk
04-01-2013, 10:46 PM
I have the cheapo black molded foam knee pads with elastic straps...they work great for me. I usually only attach the bottom straps (below the knee...pull your pants up a bit, strap the pad on below the knee, and go to it). You will still get stiff and sore, from crawling around on you knees...you just won't feel like someone's been hitting you on the knee with a 2x4.

(This is NOT where I bought them...just a picture of what I am talking about...)
http://www.constructiongear.com/clc-kneepads-durable-foam-v229.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=22942695690&utm_content=pla&gclid=CNv0h9f7qrYCFcR7QgodHkIAGg

Kev

ManoKai
04-02-2013, 12:10 AM
@ grindel - exclusivley use the hard plastic and soft inner foam "KneePro IIIs" for construction, welding, and stick fighting (ie. DBMA - DogBrothersMartialArts). The overall protection/coverage, articulating joints, and reduced friction on concrete, etc make these a winner. Think "SmokeJumper" style. Also using the complementary elbow pad equivalents or joint protection during stick fighting. They rock!

These are donned over clothing, vice the internally-integrated 511 style foam knee pads commonly use. Note: used the 511s (not a fanboy of 511s) also, and don't like 'em. The outergarment (pants) suffer and wear thin quickly. IF employing the over-the-knee style foam knee pads, cut out an ~ 4in x 4in square to reduced pinching/bunching action and enhance mobility on the posterior patellar region (behind the knee). These over-the-knee and under the pants foam style would be my alternative to the KP3s.

The KneePros IIIs and inexpensive & work well for tactical rifle comps :cool:

67lemans
04-02-2013, 12:18 AM
I use a pair of gel ones with the hard plastic cap. been a life saver

nikodell
04-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Troxell neoprene knee pads. Best I've ever used, very comfortable.

Use these every day.

shortfuse
04-02-2013, 11:49 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/f4fb54.jpg
Here is the project going on right now that is solving the knee pad problem for everyone. The problem isn't the pad itself, its slipping down and over tightening of straps that is the problem. This product shows the full suppport for people still have their knee pad preference. Thi product is new and is stil seeking support, but they are still available for purchase. We want to help people by making the best product we can.

p.m. me for details.

http://m.youtube.com/?client=mv-verizon-us

Those look like just one more thing to strap on and be uncomfortable. Probably better suited for soccer protection or a broken shin bone. :D