PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast!!!!

Hammack_Welding
08-30-2007, 03:25 PM
OK, you diesel guys. Starting last week my 97 Chevy, 6.5turbo service truck started taking noticably long to crank. Well I was running down the road today and it died, just like you switched it off. I tried to recrank it and it cranks ran for 30 seconds and quit again. I automatically put 5 gallons of fuel in it and a new filter and bleed the filter housing out. I haven't gotten it to crank yet. When you switch the truck on you can hear the supply pump run, and if you open the bleed valve on the filter Fuel streams out. Well i talked to two injection places today. One Said it was one of two things. Said his first instinct was the PMD if not that then it could be the oil pressure switch. Something about it runs the supply pumps, and if it acts up it might be telling the pumps to shut down. The other place without hardly hearing my description said we need to replace the injection pump. Can an injection pump go out that quickly with no signs? any idea what to look for? I have someone on the way to pick up a PMD now, but I don;t want to spend a grand on throwing parts at it to just have to turn around and spend much more on something else. Thanks !Jackson

wielro
08-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I have always had Dodge products and belong to the Turbo Diesel Reg. it is just like this forum and I have found it to be very helpful. I searched google and came up with this for ya maybe you can join and do the search thing.
And yes transfer pumps and or injection pumps can just go out it is not like gas engines were you get a two day warning. Good luck.

http://www.gm-diesel.com/vbull/index.php

David R
08-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Jackson.

Chebbys especially in those years have a "Cam" sensor. Its a black box on the drivers side of the inj pump. Its 2 or 3 bills. I have replaced many. If you can get ahold of a scanner, test it and see what the puter is telling you.

Bet that is it, but don't do anything till you scan it. Around here autozone will scan for free.

This part comes on the inj pump.

Not a fuel issue, you already proved that.

David

zapster
08-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Jackson.

Chebbys especially in those years have a "Cam" sensor. Its a black box on the drivers side of the inj pump. Its 2 or 3 bills. I have replaced many. If you can get ahold of a scanner, test it and see what the puter is telling you.

Bet that is it, but don't do anything till you scan it. Around here autozone will scan for free.

This part comes on the inj pump.

Not a fuel issue, you already proved that.

David

Yup..

The cam sensor is the first place to look..
Not "uncommon"..

But that applies to Fords also..

...zap!

jamlit
08-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I have had this happen a few times with the fords. The crack sensor was always the problem. It costs about four hundred here but it always fixed the problem for me. Most of them went after hitting the 100,000Km mark. . Hope this helps.

denrep
08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't like to fix things by swapping parts instead of confirming failure.

This time though, I'd put money on the PMD being bad.

olddad
08-30-2007, 09:30 PM
You get it fixed ?

Hammack_Welding
08-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Not yet, i replaced Oil pressure switch, an no change. I'm sending my helper in the morning to pick up a new PMD My local parts store did not have it, and i called the place that does my injection work on our tractors etc. and he has one, and told me to come get it and try it. So I should know something in the morning. Hopefully that will get it running.

David R
08-30-2007, 11:19 PM
If the PMD is the black box on the side of the injection pump I have a hard time installing them. There is a jumper in the plug that goes in the new box. Not a job for fat fingers. :)

I will look up the flat rate tomorrow at work.

David

Hammack_Welding
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
My injection guy came and picked up my truck today, and ran it back to the shop. He wanted to hook the scanner to it before replacing anything, and appearantly it was the PMD. He added an extension to the harness and a remote mounting/cooling bracket that is supposed to help, and said it runs like a new truck. I just did some shop work today and told him to go over everything and if it needs replacing fix it. He is gonna run it back to me in the morning when he comes thru on the way to the lake. So I should be ready to go. I appreciate the help. ~Jackson

David R
08-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Those aluminum remote heat sinks are the balls. This will be the last time you have to replace the module.

Glad you got it.

Lemmeknow when it starts smoking under load :)

David

TozziWelding
09-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Keep a spare lift pump in stock, it wont be long before that goes as well.

tresi
09-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm a fair mechanic but I don't much about electronic diesels. Just what is a PMD and what does it do?

Hammack_Welding
09-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Tresi, I have worked on a lot of tractor engines, but not much on all this electrical automotive stuff myself. My take on it is a PMD, or FSD (Same thing different name) basically is the computer for the injector pump. It tells the injector pump what it needs to be doing. Anyone want to elaborate?

olddad
09-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Hey Jackson, didn't see the thread to post on it, but how'd the grain trailers go ? Hope the truck didn't screw that deal up !!

David R
09-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I guess you could think of it as an ignition box. It tells the pump when and how long to fire each injector. Without it you are screwed.

David :)

Hammack_Welding
09-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Olddad, naaaa, The buyer is picking up the grain wagons on Tuesday from the paint shop. My paint guy needed some extra work so he painted them all today. I did have one that was wrecked brought in to the shop today. I have to replace the entire running gear, and repair the body. Pics of that mess will be showing up soon. lol

MicroZone
09-02-2007, 08:16 PM
[qoute]Just what is a PMD and what does it do?[/quote]

It is a signal amplifier that powers the fuel solenoid on your injection pump.

PMD/FSD - stands for Pump Mounted Driver/ Fuel Solenoid Driver. :)

10-18-2007, 12:18 AM
You should check if you are getting power to your plugs, I don't know if you have popped them out to check it's not unheard of that something in the firing system doesn't work (I think glowplugs can have lack of power problems like sparks right?) worth a check non the less.

David R
10-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Here is the aluminum heat sink I was talking about. I did one today. Truck ran like a raped ape after I was done. This is the module that was attached to the pump. Module $475, Heat sink, $179.
Cheby G3500 turbo 6.5

Joe H
10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Jeeeeez! $179 for a heat sink?

MicroZone
10-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Excellent that you remembered this thread and took pics and posted of the device. Very KEEN thinking on your part David. Thanks.

David R
10-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Jeeeeez! $179 for a heat sink?

Never changed one of those modules eh? Once you remove the air conditioner, some of the plumbing in the front and the intake manifold there still is not enough room to fit your fingers OR tools to take that thing off the side of the injection pump. It can be changed from that heat sink in an hour instead of changing it from the pump which takes the better part of the day. I think its worth it.

David

Thanks for the compliment Microzone

Greg60143
10-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Get that out of the HOT engine bay! Heat is what kills those things, and leaving it in the engine bay will fry it eventually. Heath Diesel makes a system that mounts up under the bumper - they're pretty pricey, but they offer a 7 year warranty - I don't think anybody else comes close.

You were already given the link to GM-Diesel - there is another site that seems to have more "traffic" - DieselPlace - I'm on both