PDA

View Full Version : Hobart Stickmate LX 235

JDT Sign Shop
09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
This welder has a straight 3 prong 220v plug from the factory, I want to run this welder from a generator. The only problem is the generator has a 3 prong locking plug. Therefore I cannot plug the welder into the generator.

Is there an adapter that can convert the straight 3 prong plug into a 3 prong locking plug?

Thanks in Advance
Jason

Teddco
09-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Check electrical departments of home improvement stores. You may have to buy plugs and short length of cable and fabricate it. IIRC, that Hobart draws 40 amps on the input side when welding at full current output. Most residential generators have one 30 amp 220 VAC outlet. If this is the case, you may be limited on the welding current. If it's a commercial generator with higher output current, no problem. Also, newer generators have a 4 prong locking plug for the 220 VAC outlet (2 hots, one neutral, one ground) so you may have some safety issues with a three prong setup. My generator has a lug on its frame for grounding to earth when running ungrounded loads (2 hots, one neutral, no separate ground wire). (Read manuals) There also may be some generator speed and voltage regulating issues (e.g., generator cannot respond to the arc starting current surge, generator terminal voltage drops, armature current increases, windings get too hot) where folks with experience running welders off generators can help with.