PDA

View Full Version : sluggish 92 Ranger

GLwelder
10-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey I thought I would throw this out to the mechanics here:

I bought a 92 Ranger with a 2.9L V-6, 160,000 mi's. The engine idles ok but acceleration really sucks, I can't even spin the back tires. I've changed wires, plugs, air filter, fuel filter. It takes for ever to get to 60 mph. I haven't adjusted the timing yet. Any suggestions?

wielro
10-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Howdy if it has a catylitic converter try lightly thumping it (when cool) using a small ball peen hammer. If it seems to sound/feel real solid it maybe plugged and causing a large pressure drop in you exhaust.

Ryan McEachern
10-05-2007, 11:55 AM
I have driven a few high mileage rangers, and none of them were speed demons even when everything was perfect. Great little trucks though. How long to get to 60 mph? 20 seconds?

tapwelder
10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
automatic or manual? Can you even adjust the timing on a 1992 ranger?I have had 2 rangers. 6 and 4 cylinders. Might be be perspective-- what are you comparing it to.

GLwelder
10-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Howdy if it has a catylitic converter try lightly thumping it (when cool) using a small ball peen hammer. If it seems to sound/feel real solid it maybe plugged and causing a large pressure drop in you exhaust.
I'll get my little hammer out tommorrow.

GLwelder
10-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Slipping slushbox trans?

Hey 69chevy, It was slipping, I change trans filter and fluid and it seems tight
now.

GLwelder
10-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey Ryan, Tapwelder, It is a auto trans. And it is closer to 20 sec then 6.0 .
I drive a mini van so its not like I'm expecting mustang like performance. I had a ranger years ago and remember having to be careful not not to squawk the tires when excelerating because the backend is so lite. There is a loss of power some how.
Thanks for the replys

denrep
10-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Is it not starting out in 1st gear?

Can you count the shifts?

Any better launch in reverse?

aczeller
10-09-2007, 05:44 PM
if you feel ambitious enough, check the compression to make sure all your pistons are sealing on the compression and power strokes. if not, take th eheads off and pray that it's just dirty. if it's mechanically destroyed, have fun replacing valves and springs. also, check your throttle body to make sure it's not overly dirty. if so, a $3 bottle of throttle body cleaner and less than 5 minutes will work wonderfully. that stuff is like brake-kleen on steriods. he he he.:laugh:. other than that, are the gears in this one the same as your last one? if the gears are a bigger ratio (4.10:1) they will be harder to break free than if they were smaller (three point sumpthin to one or 2 point sumpthin to one). i'm not sure what rearends were offered in those things, but they DO make a diffreence in breaking wheels free. also, make sure that it's not in 4WD. that woudl make it be a bit sluggish and not want to break free.

sorry that i wasn't much help.

Andy

David R
10-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Does it get worse as RPM increases?

David

canyoncritter
10-09-2007, 06:37 PM
pulled codes yet?...if not ethier go to autozone have them scan it for free,or go to http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13 and learn to pull them on your own.

GLwelder
10-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Sorry for being rude and not replying sooner: It takes about 14sec to get to 60 mph, and it is starting in 1st gear. Denrep, Its is a bit faster lauch in reverse but my neck gets sore if I drive any further then to town that way (couldn't resist). David it seems to be sluggish thruout the rpm range.
I guess my next step will be to pull the codes as canyon critter suggests and see what they say.

Thanks for the input guys.

olddad
10-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I would suspect a plugged cat or worn out cam.

denrep
10-20-2007, 10:46 AM
I would suspect a plugged cat...

denrep also lays 10 on plugged cat.

David R
10-20-2007, 06:29 PM
My guess is its wore out and tired. :)

Can you do a dry and wet compression test?

David

CDG
11-16-2007, 10:28 PM
With that kind of mileage I could agree that the catalytic converter is in the process of becoming clogged. Then again, the old 2.9 makes 140 or less horsepower on a good day, so it could be nothing at all. If you find it is a catalytic converter, and your area has no smog inspection, I wouldn't invest in a new cat, because I don't think there is a post-cat O2 sensor on your truck.

Without sounding like a jackass, I would suggest you drive the truck gently and hope it lasts for a long time to come. Maybe it doesn't have as much compression as a new truck, but if it still runs and idles great, starts reliably, I would let it go. If you're still convinced something is wrong with your truck, and of course I admit you might be right, so look at a few things like:

1) Fuel pressure test - you said already you replaced the fuel filter and plugs. Did the old plugs look clean, whitish, blackish anything peculiar about them? A poorly performing fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail, or injectors can all cause poor performance, but sometimes not enough to set a check engine light.

2) O2 sensor - you could have an oxygen sensor that is getting lazy. Sometimes they won't set a check engine light until after you start seeing the effects. Poor fuel economy is the more common symptom of an O2 sensor not switching fast enough. The only effective diagnostic (besides guessing) is a scan tool that can give you real time data on O2 sensor voltage, and how quickly it is switching.

3) Get a timing light, and check your timing, or else find somebody who knows how. I don't know the timing spec on your engine, but anybody with a Chilton manual should be able to tell you.

Those above suggestions haven't been said I don't think - there are others here worth considering, like a worn out cam or just a worn out engine in general with lousy compression.

If the catalytic converter is good, the next best suggestion in my opinion is probably that your truck has whatever energy-crisis era axle ratio in it. You could change it out, or live with the the gutless truck. There were many axles and ratios offered in the Rangers of this time. The 2.9 could either have the 7.5" or 8.8" axle offered in anything from a 3.08 to a 4.10 ratio. If memory serves its 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10. Options varied depending on transmission, transfer case, and what engine the truck was equipped with.

deadman1474
11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
I've got 15 on the cat of the o2

jim2029
11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, Seeing how your in michigan, like me, and we have no emissions testing, cut the cat off and stright pipe it to see if it runs better... if it does then plugged cat.

Now if you worried about having no cat, a universal cat usually runs about $60.00

Weldordie
11-22-2007, 01:10 AM
Hey I thought I would throw this out to the mechanics here:

I bought a 92 Ranger with a 2.9L V-6, 160,000 mi's. The engine idles ok but acceleration really sucks, I can't even spin the back tires. I've changed wires, plugs, air filter, fuel filter. It takes for ever to get to 60 mph. I haven't adjusted the timing yet. Any suggestions?

Only one fuel filter on that truck?

jim2029
11-22-2007, 10:42 AM
I was thinking about this, I'm willing to bet its the cat. Y? I had 94 Sable with a 3.8.... had the same problem your having, then it poped the head gaskets. Well, 5 head gaskets sets and 3 motors later.... I cut the cat as a friend told me to do.... Ran great after that... till the trans went. My luck...

papa65
11-24-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't remember how many bad running pickup's I've fixed by beating the s... out of the cat, fords are easy.:D