PDA

View Full Version : Buy Handler 180, Sell my Stick?

bikeitswift
06-02-2004, 10:34 PM
My welding is 85% art sculpture, 15% cars and odds and end brackets, fix the lawnmower, etc. I've never had my Miller Thunderbolt Stick over 120 Amps, an use 6013 and 7014 for everything. I also have a Miller 90 Amp Sidekick MIG that welds beautifully. Now I'm toying with selling my MIG and my Thunderbolt 225 Stick to buy a Hobart 180-which sounds like a nice machine, but will I miss my stick if I do?? I'm sure it will fill in for my MIG in spades...or should I cough up another $100.oo and go for the Millermatic 175? I'd really like to get some space back in my small shop and simplify my life. MIG is really fun. I also have a Victor gas outfit and a Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutter (very sweet!).

DDA52
06-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Bike
If it were me, I would need the T'Bolt about 2.8 seconds after it went out the door! But that's just how my days usually go. My .02 would be keep the T'bolt to compliment the mig. I have a MM 135 and a T'Bolt AC/DC. I was using both tonight on my trailer. What one won't do the other will and vise versa. The stick will give you flexibility that the little migs can't i.e., work in windy conditions like tonight, welding long distances away from the machine, or much heavier thicknesses when they pop up. Flux core is always an option to combat wind and some thickness issues, but changing spools all the time gets old fast.

The HH 180 sounds like it is the machine of the hour. I'd like to get my hands on one for about an hour myself. Lots of weldors like and dislike the MM 175. Bottom line is get what you think will make you the best machine for your skill level and budget. You should do OK either way. If you have the experience, the MM 175 might do best. If you are newer, the HH 180 would do better. Tapped machines are much easier to dial in. Even for us long time welders, user friendly machines ain't a bad thing!:D

Don

:cool: BTW, where in So. TX?

malibu101
06-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by DDA52
Bike
If it were me, I would need the T'Bolt about 2.8 seconds after it went out the door!
Very true! I have a huge Airco stick machine ( about 3 feet by 3 feet by 4 feet high) that goes up to, IIRC, 300 AC amps and 250 DC amps. It really takes up alot of my little shop space but when it's needed (which is very seldom for me) I'm glad I keep it around!

bikeitswift
06-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by DDA52
Bike
If it were me, I would need the T'Bolt about 2.8 seconds after it went out the door! But that's just how my days usually go. My .02 would be keep the T'bolt to compliment the mig. I have a MM 135 and a T'Bolt AC/DC. I was using both tonight on my trailer. What one won't do the other will and vise versa. The stick will give you flexibility that the little migs can't i.e., work in windy conditions like tonight, welding long distances away from the machine, or much heavier thicknesses when they pop up. Flux core is always an option to combat wind and some thickness issues, but changing spools all the time gets old fast.

The HH 180 sounds like it is the machine of the hour. I'd like to get my hands on one for about an hour myself. Lots of weldors like and dislike the MM 175. Bottom line is get what you think will make you the best machine for your skill level and budget. You should do OK either way. If you have the experience, the MM 175 might do best. If you are newer, the HH 180 would do better. Tapped machines are much easier to dial in. Even for us long time welders, user friendly machines ain't a bad thing!:D

Don

:cool: BTW, where in So. TX?

Thanks for the reply. I'm just around the corner at Canyon Lake.

DDA52
06-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by bikeitswift
Thanks for the reply. I'm just around the corner at Canyon Lake.

Cool.:cool: I'm starting a job at the lake tomorrow.

Migmaniac
09-20-2004, 12:38 AM
I havent touched my stick welder since i got my HH180, If i need to do something that required a stick i simply put some .035 fluxcore in. Gets the job done and done right.