PDA

View Full Version : New 210

schiada96
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Any opinions? I'm thinking about a purchase. Tractor supply for 899 with a rebate of 100. Good deal or not

DDA52
10-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Are you talking about the new Hobart Handler 210? or the Hobart Ironman 210?

Me!
10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
or a Miller 210 MIG?

DDA52
10-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Not at that price or at TSC. Gotta be a Hobart....but which one?

schiada96
10-11-2007, 02:58 AM
it is a hobart and it is the same size as the 187

DDA52
10-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Hmm....the 185 was discontinued, but the 187 is still being produced.:confused:

I have had a HH210, the one you saw, for over a year now. I was involed in the beta testing of it. If you get this machine, you will not be sorry. They reworked the choke and other internals and have produced a very good welder. It is as smooth or smoother than my MM210. It really shines on aluminum...way better than the MM210. The action on steel is top notch. It will run just about any wire you put in it without any complaining. I ran maybe 7-8 different types ranging from el cheapo to high dollar premium. It ran them all equally fine. It will really shine on 1/4 and still has the guts to run 3/8. Sheetmetal action is excellent as well. It lacks the duty cycle to be a production machine, but I still managed to have it as my main shop machine while testing it. I still reach for it first when I need a welder in the shop.

Anything specifically you want to know about it?

schiada96
10-11-2007, 12:29 PM

I have had a HH210, the one you saw, for over a year now. I was involed in the beta testing of it. If you get this machine, you will not be sorry. They reworked the choke and other internals and have produced a very good welder. It is as smooth or smoother than my MM210. It really shines on aluminum...way better than the MM210. The action on steel is top notch. It will run just about any wire you put in it without any complaining. I ran maybe 7-8 different types ranging from el cheapo to high dollar premium. It ran them all equally fine. It will really shine on 1/4 and still has the guts to run 3/8. Sheetmetal action is excellent as well. It lacks the duty cycle to be a production machine, but I still managed to have it as my main shop machine while testing it. I still reach for it first when I need a welder in the shop.

Nope but I'll take your word on it and I'll get it after Friday's pay. I do alot of different fab and like the spool gun feature like the Lincoln 180 just plug and play. Plus a little more snot than the Lincoln.
Thanks for the response

DDA52
10-11-2007, 01:03 PM
You will like it. Are you getting the spoolgun? That was the part I liked the best. One thing though. I tend to mangle the o-rings a bit when installing/removing it. Same with the mig gun. It never ever was a problem with the mig gun, but it killed the alu action. You may want to get more rings for the inevitable nicks. They don't cost much either. Miller p/n 197123 The inner ring was the one that caused the most trouble for me. FWIW. It took a dozen or so swaps before I noticed any issues. Since I changed them, I have yet to have any issues again....and that has been awhile now. Maybe I just had to get used to the swapping deal.

Another thing...always remember to switch the spool gun/mig gun switch when swapping.....it won't work so good if you don't do it. I was giving a demo at my shop the other day and made sure to warn him about it....and danged if I went and forgot to switch it back.:blush2: :laugh: It doesn't hurt it, it just doesn't work.:blush:

Brand X
10-17-2007, 03:36 PM

What he said!!! The Aluminum runs very smooth and probably about as good as it gets non-pulsed. I ran one other machine that worked better and it was a high $$$ inverter with a aluminum slope setting. It's that good!!!! I tested one too and loved it for how forgiving a machine it is.

railin93
11-17-2007, 08:11 PM
good insight DDA...a buddy and i are ALMOST ready to get the HH210, just gotta get a little more cash...the only concerns i had and maybe you can answer them are: what settings do you need to push it up to in order to do 11ga or 3/16" mild steel...is it good at low heat settings or do i just need to adapt myself to the idea of pushing it all the time...how about gun types?...it comes with the measily M10 gun and we were wanting to go to a tweco or maybe a M25...and last, what do you think of the idea of running stainless wire in it?...different liners and rolls and such i know but do you think it would handle the task of building a fuel cell with it?

just figured i'd ask before we got it and didn't like it

DDA52
11-17-2007, 10:18 PM
good insight DDA...a buddy and i are ALMOST ready to get the HH210, just gotta get a little more cash...the only concerns i had and maybe you can answer them are: what settings do you need to push it up to in order to do 11ga or 3/16" mild steel...is it good at low heat settings or do i just need to adapt myself to the idea of pushing it all the time...how about gun types?...it comes with the measily M10 gun and we were wanting to go to a tweco or maybe a M25...and last, what do you think of the idea of running stainless wire in it?...different liners and rolls and such i know but do you think it would handle the task of building a fuel cell with it?

just figured i'd ask before we got it and didn't like it

I used the door chart settings and was happy with the results on 1/8 and went one notch up for the 3/16. I usually run 3/16 at the 1/4 setting for most stuff. It won't be pushing it by any means. The little beastie has some power. The door chart settings are pretty good for most applications, though. I just prefer a little more heat at times.

I originally had an issue with the smaller gun, but that was before I used it. After using it for almost a year and a half, the only thing that bugs me about the gun is the length. I would rather have 12' which is the longest you should put on it anyway. The poewr pin will fit a M-25, but the front plastic will ave to be trimmed around the gun hole for it to work. BUT...it will work.

Stainless was fine with it. I ran 1/8 and that is all. Ran it just fine. No liner or roll change is necessary. I believe you will be happy with it on stainless. I might be doing more with mine one day soon. May have happened onto a job that requires stainless..we'll see. I'd use the HH without hesitation.

That get what you wanted?