PDA

View Full Version : Intro to Welding

aczeller
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
okay... i have to admit. i have had my LE 100 HD for around a month now and i can't get enough welding. my main problem is getting the money to make anything useful. that's why i've decided to take a welding class at my local community college. i needed the extra credits anyway, so why not take a class that woudl curb my appetite for moten metal? :cool2: hehehe. anyway, does anyone have any tips on getting started in a welding class? i'm planing on going in with an open mind, assuming that i know nothing, because quite frankly, i really don't know jack @#$% about proper procedure and/or materials to use and when to use them. i understand theory and how the things work... that's about it. anyone have any tips? things i shoudl pay careful attention to? things that i should look out for? every other class that i've taken with any other subject has given me information and tried to pound it into my head, even though i have never used it and never will. what can i expect like that with welding? according to the class description, they are planing on showing us MIG, TIG, and stick.

thanks!
Andy

j.trevor123
10-15-2007, 02:39 PM
More than likely if its any decent welding school at all you will do alllot of welding and not much theory. For example you might start off welding 3/8" carbon steel. Beads on plate, fillets, and then open roots. I would pay attention to the Amps you use on diff metals and how they preform. Also pay attention to your leg length and undercut, porosity etc and make sure you learn how to correct that. Most of all enjoy it and pay attention to what you are doing and ways to improve.

weldgault
10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Learn the AWS #'s, what they mean, Polarity DCEP and DCEN, CC or CV Machines, ACHF, Inverters, just to mention a few. John

nosleepno
12-02-2007, 03:05 PM
use it as an oportunity to get as much feedback about your welding as you can. have the instructor look at it and make suggestions.

olddad
12-02-2007, 03:18 PM
SHEEEZ, hard to believe you're just a beginner with all the advice you give out ??

MicroZone
12-02-2007, 03:30 PM
He's well read and a smart young fellar' ! :)

aczeller
12-03-2007, 11:04 PM
thanks micro... and to think.... me and olddad were getting along so well today. lol... i understand what you are saying tho... although i havn't welded MYSELF very much, i've been around welders of one type or another for about the last 4 years... the last 4 or 5 months i've learned alot from here and from work... i'm only trying to help.

Later,
Andy