PDA

View Full Version : Arcair with a Dialarc 250

big rig guy
01-15-2004, 10:29 PM
anyone done it????

Franz
01-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Possibly, but you'd probably be a little light for power, and heavy on duty cycle.
Better question, why would a sane man want to run arcair? Have yo been sniffin paint fumes again?

big rig guy
01-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Heh Franz, interesting thing here, I posted the same question over there at Hobart four hours ago no response, post here and five minutes late, response.

Wanted to use my Dialarc a little more than I am now, and we seem to be getting more trailer work into the shop involving cutting out frame sections and the like. It s hard work for the plasma I have.

Seen an arc air years ago, and its a fast dirty kind of cut as I remember. So I went to the Arcair website and downloaded the info, and the amp rates this unit requires is quite substancial.

I would be cutting through, 1/2 to 3/4 double frames etc. Think it would work the Dialarc too hard???? It's not the paint fumes this week, but the fibreglass, with all this snow, business is really good. You getting hit hard over there?

Franz
01-15-2004, 11:45 PM
Big, I'd appreciate it if you'd quit sheddin dandruff southwest, I started shovelin off the F-350 today, and gave up. There's about 16" on the hood and cab roof, and it's -4f right now. I even plowed damn dandruff today.
I'm no expert on ArcAir, cause I hate it. It's a definite ****shower at best, and a barefoot walk thru hell at worst. I really have no answer on performence on double layers.
There used to be an underwater cutting electrode that looked like steel brake line with a rubber coating that cut just as well with lower amperage and compressed air, but I'm damned if I remember what it was.
Have you tried a gouging tip on your plasma, and going thru in layers? Other than plasma, any arc cutting of aluminum will leave a crappy cut. What are you playing on, Marmons? Are they even still building those?
When things warm up a bit, I may need a consult on repairing one corner of my utility box. Somebody cobbled it up, and the damn box is 2 layers of fiberglass laid up with roving, and looks like it has cardboard between them. Naturally, the cardboard has accumulated water.

big rig guy
01-16-2004, 06:02 PM
I understand the cut is sloppy but this sloppy work I gotta do here, I enclosed a pic of some parts of a frame that I have to cut out. Remove fender support arms and weld in patch panels etc. I sent this trailer to the blast bay this morning, it already looks new again, not bad considering it was built in 1979.

I have the cutmaster 50, a little light to be going through this frame. Not too excited to fire up a torch and start cutting either. **** work at best.

Ive got six of these trailers to do, so would warrant the expense of the arcair, but concerned about the duty cycle on the Dialarc.

Have not seen a Marmon since my Winnipeg days. I don't think they build them anymore. Ugly truck anyhow.

I'm doing all my fibreglass repairs with the West Epoxy system now for well over five years. Very strong stuff, costs more than the resin and harder to work with, but worth it in my opinion. I might use resin once or twice a year now. Shoot some pics and post or email when the weather clears.

Heh I couldn't find a chink motor in my Dialarc lol

I think I got the right pic here. I will post a couple of pics of typical fibreglass repair that I do with the West System.

big rig guy
01-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Here is a typical fibreglass repair, one piece fibreglass hood with extensive damage,

big rig guy
01-16-2004, 06:13 PM
this is the repair done to the primer stage with the west system, as you can see it has to support that fender mirror bobbing up and down the highway as the mount holes are right through the repaired section. If I had repaired this fender the old way with fibreglass, I would suspect this job to come back in a year or so with cracking problems.

Okay to say bobbing on this site lol

I thought I had a pic in the computer here of the final product I will look again.

big rig guy
01-16-2004, 06:23 PM
oops should post the pic

Franz
01-16-2004, 08:58 PM
BR, Marmons might have been ugly as sin, but I never met one that ran out of pull.

You're really in a bad spot there to cut aluminum away from glass.
Can you cut it with multiple passes of plasma, usnig a gouging tip first?
I don't think I'd want to run ArcAir in that aplication too much fire risk with all the fibrglass around.

big rig guy
01-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Its a tanker trlr Franz, what appears to be glass is stainless, wrapped around a tanker and also fenders. Its hard to judge from the pic so I posted an overall shot of the trailer , there is repair all over this thing, no aluminum, all steel.

this is a shot of the underbelly of the trlr loooking forward to the fifth wheel plate and dolly legs.