PDA

View Full Version : Siphon suction sand head

Sberry
06-10-2004, 10:30 PM
I will show 3 shots. first is assembled. The hose on the left goes in the sand bucket and pushes down to about an inch from the end of the conduit,, or so,, and lets a little air in along the top around the hose and allows some mixing of air and sand at the pickup point. I crimp the conduit just enough to allow some movement to adjust if needed but firm enough to keep it in place.

Sberry
06-10-2004, 10:33 PM
This is just a little closer view, the body is a 1/2 pipe T

Sberry
06-10-2004, 10:44 PM
Here are the parts, from left to right. 1/4 pipe nipple, 1/4 to 1/2 reducing bushing, 1/2 T, then small air old air chuck into a 1/4 to 1/2 red bush with it tapped backwards a little with 1/4 pipe thread so the chuck can screw in reverse, then a 1/4 nipple screwed to a valve to turn air on and off or regulate if needed and finally the air chuck I use. I laid the parts on the floor aprox the depth it all needs to be screwed together. This thing also works well with just the hose to vaccuum out fuel tanks too without having to remove them. Like an old tractor, I used it the other day to clean a tank on a welding machine. Sucked the old fuel out and vaccumed the water and dirt out. I shined a flashlight down in and dragged the suction hose around in the tank. Sometimes you an pick up dirt or water without having to take all the fuel out. It was cheap and took about 10 mins to build.

vipermanz
06-11-2004, 04:12 AM
i think i probably have all of those parts in my junk bin, lol

HWooldridge
06-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Utter simplicity - and the KISS principle is still the best...

one_rod
06-11-2004, 05:45 PM
We had a bigger version of that - made from 2" pipe fittings - to suck fumes out when welding inside tanks and containers. The company Health and Safety man wanted them buy one, (for quite a lot of money).
We kicked around the shop for fittings and found enough to make one of our own, worked brilliantly, but was as noisy as hell!

Bruce
06-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Simplicity at its best, I think I could even make one of those? Hey Hollis, you are everwhere tonight<LOL>?

HWooldridge
06-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Bruce,

Looks like we have the same interests on all subjects. Do you shoot black powder muzzleloaders also?

Bruce
06-12-2004, 11:36 PM
No shooters in the family, I qualified while on active duty,68-76. Went deer hunting when I was a kid, but didn't care for it, too young to drink bourbon then I guess? Now give me a feeshing pole & I'm happy!
I am practicing my bead with the mig, getting better, now I'm going to attempt using a plasma cutter!
How's everything on the home front?

transfuga
07-24-2005, 09:59 AM
A simply and nice tool. I'll try to build one for me.