PDA

View Full Version : wanna buy Stickmate LX AC/DC

no_arc
10-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Been searching the web for the best buy on a new AC/DC Stickmate LX. Best price found so far is Northern Tool Co -- $400 with free shipping. Anybody found a better deal? How about Northern's track record? Is it a good place to buy from? Would appreciate comments & experiences.............no_arc

chevyoneton
11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I've had mine for a couple of years and plugged it in for the first time and welded with it exactly once about two months ago. It is a nice machine and attractively priced for the amps and AC/DC capability. I ran both 6011 and some 7018 MR Excaliburs (came as sample rods with my Ranger 10K) and it welded fine. I did think that I had to run the amps a liitle higher then my Ranger for the same output and it was a little louder then I thought it should be but it did the deed.

Like I say I got it two years ago at the Tractor Supply store but I can not remember how much I paid. They had the best price of anybody and my only other choice was to spend a couple hundred more for the similiar Miller machine at my local welding supply.

I did buy a couple of sets of small Tweko connectors and 25 feet of lead and cut the electrode lead about a foot from the box so I could have either a 15 or 40 foot stinger as needed. I wish I had went ahead and got a couple more sets of connectors and 15 foot more lead so I could extend the ground also or only have a 30 foot stinger if desired. I have an 80 foot 8 guage extension cord made up so for now I will wheel the Stickmate near the work. I do wish I could get farther then 10 feet from the macine though, I may need to do the ground lead yet.

While on the topic, I have an old high wheel push mower deck I plan to cut up and modify as a moble platform for the Stickmate one of these days.

I like the Stickmate and I guess time will tell if it is a good machine. I bought it as I have a lot of projects coming up (any day now, really) I wanted to stick and did not want to put a lot of hours on the Ranger or buy the gas to run it.

weldgault
11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
You should not have a long extensoin (danger) but buy a little larger cable and go from the front of the machine and not the back.. You will be safer and maybe live a little longer. John :angel:

gopher
11-07-2007, 11:36 PM
I bought 1 from northern about 2 months ago.Trucking company called a day ahead of delivery to set a time I would be home.Truck arrived within 30 minues of the time we had set.Welder seems to run hotter on the same rod as the old welder.U have to set amps a little lower & all is fine.The cover vibrates alittle at higher amps,but welds great.