PDA

View Full Version : RAMSOND CT518D Multi Function cutter/welder

ToddRD
11-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this company and its muiltifunction units? Dual voltage is attractive for field work but have not heard of them other than on Ebay. Thanks in advance.

weldgault
11-03-2007, 06:29 PM
You are better off with a brand name maching for the service, because there will be times you need service. John

kelly_b
11-06-2007, 03:21 PM
What do you sell John?

weldgault
11-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Rebuilt Equipment, not cheap, but done correctly. John

yorkiepap
11-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Hey John(weldgault),
I do understand your stance on USA equipment and support of the LWS. I love my Miller welders & TD PAK50 Plasma Cutter as they have never failed me and I use them daily. I will say that I also have grown fond of my (2) Riland welders(MIG & TIG), and the Giant Tech stick welder. They work perfectly and as with anything with electronics, can have problems. I know many shun the Chinese products and there are crappy products on the market. I found Riland & G/T to be quite reputable and their products are tested prior to shipping. To expand my operation, these units provided me with a substantial cost savings, proved their reliability in field & production use, and allowed me the needed equipment for a full-service operation, both shop & mobile. We cannot deny that our manufactured products will have a foreign component installed, especially the electronics. Ask Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, TD, or any other about their component manufacture. I believe that if we did our homework researching products, their ratings, and company manufacturing reliability, we would & could find very good products that would allow those who are considering welding as a business, whether fulltime or parttime, to enter the business sector with a more reasonable outlay of resources and yet provide full service to get started. This would allow a person to determine if their venture will be a success or failure. The absolute is that we are inundated with imports and that is not going to change. Hopefully, that will allow the "newbies" and hobby welders to get some equipment that will allow them to be able to become more proficient and do it for a reasonable price. Anyway, I just wanted to provide some observation and experience with the import arena and my selection decisions....Denny

GiantTechGuy
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Oh, and if you want to make that one foot pedal ready I can sell you a kit.:waving: Or I can just tell you how and you can get your own parts!

longevity-inc.com
04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Yea, make sure they include the foot pedal and argon like our units include.

Thanks

jrm16311
05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh, and if you want to make that one foot pedal ready I can sell you a kit.:waving: Or I can just tell you how and you can get your own parts!

hi, I have the CT416DX model. Do you have a foot pedal kit for this one as well?

By the way, the CT416DX model I have works great. I've only used the plasma cutter and TIG welder functions to build stainless steel square tube frames.

Me!
05-18-2008, 11:06 PM
3.5" /min for the rated plasma cutting speed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Wow that is slow!

My cutter is rated for a conventional cut at 3/4" but the travel speed is 22" /min
But I can't TIG or stick weld with my plasma cutter :laugh:

GiantTechGuy
05-19-2008, 11:56 AM
3.5" /min for the rated plasma cutting speed :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Wow that is slow!

My cutter is rated for a conventional cut at 3/4" but the travel speed is 22" /min
But I can't TIG or stick weld with my plasma cutter :laugh:

What is your machine make and model?

If you look closer you'll see that the in/min is in the wrong line.

Me!
05-19-2008, 07:41 PM
What is your machine make and model?

If you look closer you'll see that the in/min is in the wrong line.

I see what you are talking about, they can't even put out a brochure that does not requires fixing. :laugh:

My unit:
Hypertherm Powermax 1000

I have nothing agents machines like this, but please don't think all Plasma and TIG units are the same, you do get what you pay for. Units like this have a place. (it is NOT in my shop however... :waving:)

rumme
05-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I see what you are talking about, they can't even put out a brochure that does not requires fixing. :laugh:

I have nothing agents machines like this, , .

your consistent smart azz remarks about these machines and condescending attitude/ smileys would make one assume otherwise.

$499 for my simadre unit...going on 2 months of constant use and no problems.....

have built a log splitter

heavy duty mig/tig roller cart which also holds my compressor unit.

forks to fit my excavator so it can be used as a forklift

wood stove

and currently am building a undergorund storm/tornado built out of 12-14 gauge galvanzied culvert and 7-8 gauge flat plate steel....

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.....

yeah, it will only cut 3/4 " steel...thats fine with me and probably fine with most people who dont need to make a lviing with their machine.

rumme
05-20-2008, 01:12 AM
storm/tornado shelter....

Me!
05-20-2008, 05:42 PM
your consistent smart azz remarks about these machines and condescending attitude/ smileys would make one assume otherwise.

$499 for my simadre unit...going on 2 months of constant use and no problems.....

have built a log splitter

heavy duty mig/tig roller cart which also holds my compressor unit.

forks to fit my excavator so it can be used as a forklift

wood stove

and currently am building a undergorund storm/tornado built out of 12-14 gauge galvanzied culvert and 7-8 gauge flat plate steel....

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.....

yeah, it will only cut 3/4 " steel...thats fine with me and probably fine with most people who dont need to make a lviing with their machine.

I am glad you are happy with you machine, my first comment was on the cutting speed only. One of plasmas advantages is fast quality cuts cuts with relative ease of use. Yes it is a plasma, but to put that it can cut 3/4" is a joke.

rumme
05-20-2008, 07:04 PM
I am glad you are happy with you machine, my first comment was on the cutting speed only. One of plasmas advantages is fast quality cuts cuts with relative ease of use. Yes it is a plasma, but to put that it can cut 3/4" is a joke.

well I havent tried a 3/4 " cut yet with my simadre 40 amp unit yet.....so you may be correct.

however..it cuts thru 7-8 gauge flat plate steel very quickly and efficiently . It wouldnt be to far of a stretch to imagine it could cut/severe thru 3/4" at a very slow rate of speed and with alot of slag leftover thet needed to be grinded off....

If I ever need to cut 3/4" plate...im sure it wont be several feet that I need to cut and im aslo confident that for anyone who will need to be cutting alot of 3/4" or thicker materials, would know better then to purchase a unit that is only rated at 3/4" max severe cut...

for $499....I cant think of a better product with so many uses then my simadre 3 in 1 unit....

also, it looks as though these inexpensive chinese products are not gonna be so low priced muych longer...there supposedly is legislation to require much higher prices be applied to many of these low cost chinese products....and this is one way that american made products will be able to compete...by artifiically inflating the price of the chinese products////..I think thats pathetic...

luckily I have most of the products I need that are chinese and was able to get them while the prices were still allowed to be low..

2500 watt generator

150 cc scooter

4hp log splitter

15- gallon air compressor

homier mig wedler

simadre 3 in 1 plasma cutter

etc.....

everyone of these inexpensive chinese products has perfomred better then I imagined they would for their relaitvely inexpensive price tag when compared to American made or Japenese made products....

longevity-inc.com
05-22-2008, 07:48 PM
The 518d is an excellent all around unit. There is an upgraded version of the 518d, which is the 520d and features a 200amp Tig welder.

Enjoy!

mllkn6
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
The 518d is an excellent all around unit. There is an upgraded version of the 518d, which is the 520d and features a 200amp Tig welder.

Enjoy!

You mention that you have a 520D machine, does it have a plasma cutter with it too, if so what is the amps on it? What would be the cost also?
thanks

longevity-inc.com
05-29-2008, 04:01 PM
You mention that you have a 520D machine, does it have a plasma cutter with it too, if so what is the amps on it? What would be the cost also?
thanks

In accordance with the weldingweb website policy. I just sent a personal or private message with the information regarding price and availability.

The LC-520D units do have a 50amp plasma cutter built inside.

Thanks

zeke
04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
seannoo, you make some good points. However, you must have noticed the abundance of recalls for Chinese products from pharmaceuticals to dog food ingredients. It would appear to most of us that the Chinese do not care what quality they build as long as we will buy it.

I think the shoe is now going to be on the other foot. It's the Chinese that will have to step up to the plate and regain the confidence of the US market.

I know full well that many of our domestic brands have Chinese components. The thing is, they are built to spec and pass or fail. What ends up in a rebranded Chinese proprietary unit is not necessarily the same quality. I, for one am skeptical.

Your math speaks volumes, buy it, use it and toss it. That's the way things go today. However, most of us don't have that kind of cash flow that would pay for welder to fly to work with his gear. I'll bet I work a lot harder for my $500 than you do. So, it has to go further.

Which brings me to another junction. A good US made welder in any class that is set up to work all day, every day will cost north of 2K and go up from there exponentially. Yet, we can buy lots of amps for $500 from the Far East. I suppose that will never change as long as you and I want to make more than a dollar an hour.

Griffon327
08-11-2009, 12:12 AM
I purchased the Ramsond Model Model; CT520DY about 6 months ago off e-bay for $600 shipped to my door and as a plasma cutter and a tig welder it works quite well.

The neighbor has a business and owns a ESAB 70 amp plasma cutter and mine cuts 3/4 inch plate every bit as fast as his and I think he said his costs over $1800 but then again his will cut 1 inch plate as well.

The consumables for the plasma cutter are 1/20th if not less then the ESAB unit as well.

Same neighbor also has a miller mig welder that was down for 3 weeks waiting on parts. The American stuff breaks just as often and repair parts should be cheap and readily available but alas this is not so. If I was running a business I would use a quality piece like ESAB but I would also keep a generic one on hand as an emergency spare.

Everyone who has used the machine or seen me use it cannot believe the price or the quality so for $600 to get a TIG and a plasma cutter in one is an awesome deal. as for stick welder? who would need it? .

Rojodiablo
08-11-2009, 12:06 PM
As you will all see, there were like 5 new names that had first posts in this thread. This sounds exremely fishy, like they were all created by the SAME FEW PEOPLE. It almost sounds like a place called Weldingweb a year ago. You will see that this is ALL that is left. And, if these 'new' posters seem to start popping up left and right, I will start banning the people I FEEL were most responsible for their creation to further their means. So, if you know a guy who has never been here before, you might want to call him up, and say" Hey, don't sign up for Weldingweb and post up to defend me, my stuff, etc. YOU JUST MIGHT GET ME BANNED BY A VERY SHORT TEMPERED MODERATOR WITH A GOD COMPLEX......
Now, if you don't have a dog in the fight, then this post won't matter to you, in the least. But if I smell the same stench I was smelling a while back, I will not use perfume as the last manager did. I will use BLEACH, and sterilize this place. Thread closed. Thank you for buying American.