PDA

View Full Version : Welding Wire MFR

aczeller
11-09-2007, 09:29 PM
hey guys... i got this info in the mail from a company called "Select-Arc" based out of Fort Loramie, OH. i remember requesting info from them, but i do not know much about them. they only sent me (1) sheet of info... just a short description of their products. they are as follows:

.030" - Select 700GS
.035" - Select 700GS
.045" - Select 700GS

available in 2 or 10 lb spools.

just a few questions:

- Has any one had any experience with this brand of wire? and if so, how was it?

- are all 2lb spools the same size? are all 10 lb spools the same size? i woudl imagine that all spools are the same size, or at least very similar to alow interchangeablity between welders.

- the brochure says that the wire is reccomended for 3/16" steel, single pass. is it possible to run multiple pass if i clean the previous one with a wire wheel? (it is self-shielded flux-core)

the company's website is http://www.select-arc.com

let me know how you guys feel about this stuff. i don't really want to spend the money on a bunch of wire that i won't be happy with. the smallest quantity that i can buy is 20 lbs (10 spools @ 2 lbs each). i can also get (4) spools of (10) pounds each, or (18) spools of (2) pounds each. it will be used in a LE 100HD (.035" tip & Liner, no gas)

thanks,

Later,
Andy

crawler
11-09-2007, 11:43 PM
How is the price of the wires compared to others? Many people like HTP wires and they're very reasonable in price.

weldgault
11-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Select-Arc is a good brand of wire and the three wires you mentioned are self shielding wires. Don't know the AWS class because the GS in a general catagory, but most of these wires are DCEN wires. Have fun. John

aczeller
11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
awesome... thanks. i appreciate it. i know they are not meant to weld the same size metal as the LE self-shielded wire, but i was just curious to know about the weld quality. let's say the wire is only rated to weld 3/16" plate, is it possible to properly weld 1/4" plate if the weld is done in multiple passes and is properly cleaned and prepped in between each pass?

thanks.

Later,
Andy

weldgault
11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Yes they can be used multipass, if cleaned and 1/2" if you want to take the time. John

aczeller
11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
thanks john. i figured you could, but i wasn't sure. like i've said before, i'd rather LOOK stupid, than BE stupid.

Later,
Andy