PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Hobart Beta Mig II

Incognito
11-17-2007, 11:37 AM
First off Hello.

I found this site through an iquiry I had on OFN fourms.
Anyway, We have an older Hobart Beta Mig II 200 amp machine at my shop and the boss just replaced it with some monsterous Miller machine. Well I asked about buying it and he said 3-4 hundrend and I came back with an offer of $200 and he took it.

The good thing about it is that it has a new Profax gun with 10 ft hose and a newer flow meter.

The bad thing is it burns really hot. It is not a varible machine and the selector dial goes from 1-9. You have to set it on 1 with a wire speed of 3 in order to get a good weld on 1/4" material. you can forget about any smaller material because it'll just blow through.

I called a local welding shop and they said any Hobart older than 1996 there were no parts availible. I don't know the year of the machnine but the first 2 digits in the serial are '90' and the last 2 are '67' I was told one of those identifies the year built. So I'm thinking it is a '90 model. But I don't know this for sure.

So I was hoping I could find some guidance as to how to fix it or if it is even fixable. I haven't paid for it yet so I can always back out.

Thanks, Chad

crawler
11-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Post deleted by request from poster.

Incognito
11-17-2007, 12:00 PM
ROCK AWN! My email is coming your way.

It's good to know I can still get parts for it:blob4:

Incognito
11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I had to run up to the shop today to use the press and decided to take a look at the taps on the welder, and it was on the high tap. Woot:cool2: I didn't switch it yet but I will try switching it Monday and see what it does. If that is what is wrong with it i'll be stoked. I'll be sure and change it back to the high tap incase someone decides to use it before I get it home.

Chad

weldgault
11-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Now, that's what I call playing the game. John

Incognito
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
So I went in to work Monday and while everyone was outta the shop I switched the tap over to low and I tried it out on some 1/8" and some 16 ga. Maybe it was just dirty material (which it was pretty crappy) but it spit and spuddered quie a bit but It did weld without burning through. I think we have a winner. I should be bringing it home next week.:cool2:

crawler
11-22-2007, 05:42 PM
So I went in to work Monday and while everyone was outta the shop I switched the tap over to low and I tried it out on some 1/8" and some 16 ga. Maybe it was just dirty material (which it was pretty crappy) but it spit and spuddered quie a bit but It did weld without burning through. I think we have a winner. I should be bringing it home next week.:cool2:

Good deal... Post up pics when you get it. :)

coldlap
11-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds good lets us know how get on, There are no strangers here just friends who have yet to meet.:blob4:

Incognito
11-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Here it is....

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s120/4xtoy/betamig.jpg
New gun, new ground cable and clamp, fairly new flow meter. And yes it is back on the low tap:rolleyes:
I kinda felt bad only giving them $200 for it but one welding shop and about 4 seasoned welders tried to figure out why it was running so hot and they couldn't figure it out. So I told my self this machine was too complicated for anyone around my job so I did them a favor and took it off there hands.:laugh:

This is my "ol girl I've been using for the last few years. This is the machine that taught me to weld. I don't know if I should keep it or sell it now though.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s120/4xtoy/handler135.jpg

crawler
11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
A welding shop and 4 seasoned welders could not figure it out? :laugh:
Nice score on the welder.

ssr1621@verizon.net
08-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Chad,

I have one of those welders too. PM me your email and I'll send you pdf file of the manual.

Most likely, you have it on the high tap. Look inside the cover. It will have instructions.

Your welder was made in 1990 (first 2 digits of serial number). The parts are still available through you Miller dealer. You'll probably need to contact Hobart to obtain the correct part number and to see if they're still available.

Charles

can you send the pfd to me to if you still have it i have one that was made in 87 but i have no doc. on it my email is SSR1621@verizon.net thank you Stuart

anewelding
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Chad,

I have one of those welders too. PM me your email and I'll send you pdf file of the manual.

Most likely, you have it on the high tap. Look inside the cover. It will have instructions.

Your welder was made in 1990 (first 2 digits of serial number). The parts are still available through you Miller dealer. You'll probably need to contact Hobart to obtain the correct part number and to see if they're still available.

Charles
I would really appreciate a pdf copy also if you are will. I have a beta mig II made in 1985. It is the best machine ever but I would like to know more about it. Thanks!
anewelding
anewelding@gmail.com

millerSV650
09-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I would also appriciate a copy of the manual.

millak47@_gmail.com Remove the underscore when sending, avoiding spam

Thanks

prop-doctor
09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
good score
and i would keep other welder, can never have to many backups

crawler
09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm done with emailing the manual . I try to help people, but have gotten very few thank yous or evem acknowledgment of receiving the emails. I will not be emailing out pdf files anymore.

millerSV650
09-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Manual received.

Thanks you, I appreciate it.

lars66
09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm done with emailing the manual . I try to help people, but have gotten very few thank yous or evem acknowledgment of receiving the emails. I will not be emailing out pdf files anymore.

Yup, done that to with a luke warm thank you and no offer of reimbursment for postage or expense of having 39 pages copied.

charger46
12-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Hello gentleman I myself just picked up 2 of those betta mig II welders for $300.00. One works great and the other one needs a control transformer ( I'm told ) Q, does anyone know the part # or have a manual with the electronics schematic they could E-mail me? I've tried the local weld shops with no success. Mine is an 89-90 model (look to be identical inside and out)
Any help here would be soooo greatly appreciated !!!!!
A MAN CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY WELDERS!

Thank you.Jeff @ lindasholberg@mac.com