PDA

View Full Version : Copper plus electrodes?

P-J
09-24-2012, 10:18 AM
What's the deal with these? Do they help nozzle life or just the electrode? Recomended for just mechanized or hand cutting too?

Thanks.

weldbay
09-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Nozzel life on a Hypertherm or any plasma is a function of clean air and if you are draging the nozzzle on the the plate or using a standoff. If HYP says it will increase life then believe it.

jimcolt
09-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Copper plus electrodes are a recently developed electrode manufacturing technology that dramtically improves electrode life....these electrodes are available for the Powermax65, 85 and 105, as well as for any earlier Hypertherm system that has been upraded with the Duramax torch. They work for hand cutting and for machine cutting on materials up to 1/2" thick....at power levels between 40 and 105 amps. Above 1/2" thickness..it is recommended to use the standard electrodes.

Electrode life in most cases with the new copper plus is more than double the (already industry leading) life of the standard Hypertherm electrode. The copper plus...due to a more difficult manufacturing process...is a bit more expensive to purchase, but is far cheaper to use as it lasts so much longer. Nozzle life, assuming you are using proper cutting techiques...will be improved as well.

Link for more info: http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Products/Automated_cutting/Mechanized_plasma/Upgrades/copperPlus_electrode_upgrade.jsp

Jim Colt

What's the deal with these? Do they help nozzle life or just the electrode? Recomended for just mechanized or hand cutting too?

Thanks.

P-J
10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
sounds reasonable to me, I will try some out.

P-J
11-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Just to satisfy the engineer in me, why the limit at 1/2" material thickness? Thanks Jim, I ordered 40 of these and look forward to using them all up :)

jimcolt
11-21-2012, 09:16 AM
If you look at the consumable choices for Hypertherm's Industrial plasma systems....you will see a different electrode for every power level. There is a 30 , 80, 130, 200, 260 and 400 amp electrode just for cutting steel. That is because to optimize the thermal efficiency (best combination of life and cut quality) you have to designe the electrodes with different heat transfer capabilities for different killowatt cutting capacities.

The new electrode has similar characteristics....it is a new design using proprietary manufacturing techniques that optimize it for the killowatt rating required on materials 1/2" and under. On 1/2" and above...the new electrode has performance and life similar to the standard electrode.....it cost a little more so there is nor advantage when only cutting thicker materials.

Jim Colt

Just to satisfy the engineer in me, why the limit at 1/2" material thickness? Thanks Jim, I ordered 40 of these and look forward to using them all up :)

P-J
11-21-2012, 11:03 PM
The reason I love hypertherm. Thanks Jim, I'll put these to good use, 90% of my cutting is 3/8" or less so i couldn't ask for a better product.