PDA

View Full Version : welding book recommendations

gschuld
12-26-2007, 07:44 PM
I have enrolled in a 12 week (once a week) welding course at my local Vo Tech school starting in 4 weeks. I am interested in buying some learning material to study up before I get there. I would like to feel comfortable with as much as I can about welding going in. Basic theory, terminology, etc. I am interested in recommendations for either books, book/DVD combos, or strait DVDs. Tig welding stuff especially.

Thanks in advance,

George

David R
12-26-2007, 08:01 PM
The procedure book of arc welding by Lincoln. $24.00 best money spent. Available from Lincoln electric . com

David

gschuld
12-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks ...I'll check it out.

Any others ...any good DVDs out there.

Donald Branscom
12-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I have enrolled in a 12 week (once a week) welding course at my local Vo Tech school starting in 4 weeks. I am interested in buying some learning material to study up before I get there. I would like to feel comfortable with as much as I can about welding going in. Basic theory, terminology, etc. I am interested in recommendations for either books, book/DVD combos, or strait DVDs. Tig welding stuff especially.

Thanks in advance,

George
I am going to save you a LOT if time.
Just join The American Welding Society. In Jackson Florida. It costs about $60 dollars and you will get some free stuff, but the best thing IS THe BOOKS. For instance if you want specific info on ...lets say GTAW of titanium, they will a booklet JUST on that subject.
If you wanted specific info on ....lets say welding rebar. There is a booklet just talking all about that.
AND you get a monthly magazine that has stories and photos of what is happening with welding all around the world. One of my favorite stories was a photo and story of the first test of a 12 foot section of 4 inch titanium being TIG welded for a submarie hull. stuff like that.
It is a real good deal.

weldgault
01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
AWS and you can't go rong. I have a libary of about 75 books from them on every subject you can think of. John

TozziWelding
01-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Procedure Handbook, as has been said. As well as Modern Welding, Blueprint Reading For Weldors, Pipewelding Procedures, and any AWS Publication. I have about 50 books in the bookcase, I will post a better list soon.

01-05-2008, 01:03 AM
There is also a wealth of information on the Lincoln and Miller web sites. If you print it all out it will fill at least 3 large size notebooks. I would also suggest some welding videos. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a DVD is worth 10,000. I bought one on mig, tig, stick and Ox/Acc cutting.

Brainfarth
01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Airgas in my neck of the woods was giving away free dvd's on tig, mig and cutting at their stores. I don't recall who made them.