PDA

View Full Version : opening end of round bar stock

Ryguy
08-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Is there a way to heat up and expand a 1/2in round steel bar to create a hole in the end. Almost like reaming it out. I want to make a candlebra and I like the smoothness of it . I have seen one like it but am having a hard time figuring it out. Any help would be greatly appriecated.

HWooldridge
08-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Easier to use pipe and weld the cup onto a rod after it is made. Better yet, there are plenty of suppliers that sell cups already fabricated. Try www.kayneandson.com. Without forging tools and some blacksmithing knowledge, it would be difficult to accomplish what you are suggesting. If you want to try anyway, heat with a torch and forge it flat so there is a spatula end, then roll it around a mandrel.

enlpck
08-31-2004, 09:11 AM
I'd concur with premade holder end, but if you want to try, my shops blacksmith did basicly this the other week:

Heat the end of the rod to a bright color. Beat endwise onto the anvil--think "I'm scottish, I have a sword, and i'm plunging it into my enemies chest" As the rod gets shorter, it gets fatter. Control the hot spot to a fairly short section of rod. To pierce, you need a punch. An old centerpunch might work for this. Heat the end good and bright, support the rod, and drive the punch into the end. Reheat as needed. As the color begind to dull, reheat. Quench the punch before use, or ir will weld in. Work fast to keep the heating down.

It is a high-skill type of task. You pretty much need a forge and an anvil, though a heavy steel block and a hot torch might be sufficient- something like a mid-size rosebud or a large propane burner. You need heat, not temperature

Ryguy
08-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks enlpck,

That's what I was looking for. A buddy has a forge and an anvil. I wanted the look to be clean

HWooldridge
08-31-2004, 07:28 PM
As a professional blacksmith, I encourage you to try it but bear in mind that it takes about 2-3/8 of width to wrap around 3/4 of an inch round, (pi times dia=circum) which is what a lot of conventional candle tapers are. That means you have to spread your piece of 1/2 round to that width. It can be done but will be some work on your part. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.