PDA

View Full Version : lincoln mig welders

Hobweld
01-18-2004, 11:09 AM
I am looking to buy a bigger mig welder soon and came across the lincoln powermig 215. The miller210 doesn't seem to stack up to it. How about some suggestions on it?

fla jim
01-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Contrary to the flap over on the "dark Side" that brought us regugee's over here:angry:
I think the MM210 is a better machine. Lincoln's advertising is typical of all companies. Read Franz's post on advertising. He's not to dumb for an older fella:laugh:
Take Lincoln's, and ITW's add's with a grain of salt.
Like "ROCK" previously from the Dark side always said go to a dealer and Take those girls for a spin! And see which one you like best, It's your money.
Saying that I have a MM210. I think that it's the best bang for my bucks. Very smooth. If you plan to do Aluminum someday. you can connect a spoolgun up to it with no extra stuff. With the Lincoln I believe you need a Gun connection kit, and aSpoolgun adapter module
With the 215 you only get about 10 more amps 170@24volts @ 60% duty cycle, verses 160 Amps @ 26volts @60% duty cycle. Not a real difference.
I'm not against Lincoln, I have a Ranger 8 Gas driven machine, I'm pleased with. I just really like my MM210 Here's a photo with dual cylinders, and a spoolgun:cool2:

Hobweld
01-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Well Jim, I must say that I have been leaning towards the 210 in the past. I am really at a loss, guess I should take em for a spin as you said. I want something that is gonna last. This will be my LAST buy for quite some time. My supplier carries both. I'll have to see when I can get in there to give em a test. Seems you and others are still pretty sold on the MM210 I just hope I can get the job done before the big price hike. thanks again. Ken

big rig guy
01-18-2004, 12:13 PM
I have the Powermig 200 and have had this machine for over two years now. I also bought the spool gun kit as well.

No problems at all with any of the equipment. The 215 is replacing the 200, and you might check around for a 200 sitting around in a dealers showroom or warehouse, could get a good deal on now that it is replaced.

I looked at the Millers, and opted for the Lincoln as I liked the drive system over the Miller.

I also liked the fact the gun cable was two feet longer as well, the 215 comes with a accessory 120 ac outlet, you will like that.

I mounted a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50 on top so that it can roll around with the welder. Made my own bottle platforms so that I could mount both gases for steel and aluminum. As the optional two bottle platform from Lincoln was not worth the money.

I think the machines offered by the major players are alll good, just like Ford Chevy Dodge. Personal preference.

Good luck and post what you do buy and reasons etc.

big rig guy
01-18-2004, 12:14 PM
heres the pic

fla jim
01-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Big rig;
That's a nice shop you have. I see your helper is hard at it again.
I agree Ford or Chevy-Lincoln or Miller. Until the recent bruhaha over on the Dark side, I've always felt Miller had a little better customer support. I guess they still do. I still go over to the dark side to look what is posted. They still have good info. ITW is the only sight like that. I've seen some serious problems taken care of quickly in the past.
The Affair with ROCK has left a bad taste that will take a while to get over.
That said, I am kind of looking for a good deal on a LN 25 or LN15 wire feeder for my Ranger 8.

kf1128
01-18-2004, 01:52 PM
trying both is the best idea, since a lot of it comes down to personal preference. some like the arc on the lincolns, some on the miller. i have linclons and millers and have been very pleased with both. my local dealer carries both, but seems to like millers service better and also offers much better pricing on them over the lincoln.

big rig guy
01-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I bring the little guy in Saturday mornings, give him a list of things to do, like clean out the floor pots and grinds glues and the like off the floor, clean Dad,s toolboxes, as they are 23 feet long. I keep a close eye on him while at the shop, too much trouble for him to get into too quickly.

I manage the bodyshop department of this facility. I have 12000 square feet and everything is state of the art. Larger if I include the 2000 square foot indoor sandblast bay and 4000 square foot indoor wash bay, sick eh. heated too.

I do all the heavy colllision work on heavy trucks, refurbs etc. Custom work on trucks and trailers.

The Hobart board is excellent, the politics and crap going on lately, I pay little attention to, I have better things to do. Besides, it's the people on the forum with all thier different opinions on welding related items that interest me. This board here is just as good, I read all posts here as well as the Hobart board, I don't call it Hofart as I respect the people that pay for the these free forums.

The mechanical side of our shop comprises 18000 sq ft, they run Esab equipment, as I have my own personal equipment, I have never used the Esabs, Guys like them though. I should as they give those girls a twirl.
Here s a shot of a Frieghtliner in the booth right after paint, we really shine with our paintwork, again state of the art booth. This truck had side panels replaced due to corrosion and done under Oem warranty program.

Planet X
01-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Hobweld
I am looking to buy a bigger mig welder soon and came across the lincoln powermig 215. The miller210 doesn't seem to stack up to it. How about some suggestions on it?

Your statement is correct-look at millers page to see competitve comparison-what machine do they compare the 210 too?

As far as the aluminum thing goes- you would be much better off getting a bigger machine anyway-nature of the aluminum beast.
Lincoln gives you 250 amps Miller gives you 210- those that under rate the importance of current with GMAW welding don't know MIG.

Dan
01-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Planet X

Lincoln gives you 250 amps Miller gives you 210- those that under rate the importance of current with GMAW welding don't know MIG.

Planet X

I was wonder how long it was going to take for you to bring up this advertising hype.:D The PM 215 has a 30% duty cycle rating at 22 load volts and 215 amps. So in reality how much of a duty cycle rating do you think it has at 250 amps? Also, Lincoln doesn t advertise the load voltage that the machine is capable of outputting at this 250 amp. One of the things that i like about Millers advertising approach is the fact that on most all there product literature they give you a volt/amp curve chart, plus a duty cycle rating chart.

BTW, I would just like to mention that the MM 210 is capable of outputting more than 210 amps. I ve personally had my machine outputting 230+ amps before, however, I don t recommend this to others. If you want a 250+ amp machine get a legitimate machine like a MM 251, PM 255, or a 250 amp ESAB.

fla jim
01-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Dan;
welcome over here with the refugees. I always look forward to your posts. Reading your stuff has proved that an old dog can learn new tricks:waving:

Planet X
01-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Dan
Planet X

I was wonder how long it was going to take for you to bring up this advertising hype.:D .

Ha,ha I really did try to resist the urge. Maybe like yourself resisting the urge to post over here?:D

ps. this is a picture of the backside of my on/off switch on my Powermig :cool:
http://webpages.charter.net/julieray/switch.JPG

Ha, just foolin around - there is one 'circuit' board in my machine parts that I could see were made in Mexico- the lcd's are Thailand and the backside of my two control knobs have Mexico on them as well.
The drive motor is from Sweden and I even found the dreaded made in China part, though it was only one and well hidden to boot.:o
http://webpages.charter.net/julieray/china.JPG

Charles Brown
01-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Here is one competitive comparison between the Millermatic 210 and the Power MIG 215. It is in an Adobe Acrobat .PDF file.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/mc03124.pdf

By the way, the wire drive in the PM215 is the same drive system as the wire drive in the mighty PM300.

Charles Brown
01-18-2004, 05:30 PM
The United States Secretary of Commerce spoke at Lincoln Electric's Ohio manufacturing plant/world headquarters two days ago. Lincoln hosted a conference on the state of manufacturing in America.

http://www.nam.org/secondary.asp?TrackID=&CategoryID=1365

http://www.nam.org/secondary.asp?TrackID=&CategoryID=1365 ((click here))

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/more.asp?type=NEWS

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/more.asp?type=NEWS ((another link))

JustLooking
01-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Planet X

Does that Lincoln Powermig advertise a Made in USA Label on it?

Planet X
01-20-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JustLooking
Planet X

Does that Lincoln Powermig advertise a Made in USA Label on it?

Not here-

Planet X
01-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Not here either

Planet X
01-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Here it is, course this is a pre-911 machine. Now don't be to hard on Miller for its 'use' of the flag to sell their wares, Lincoln needs competition if it were not for Miller there would only be Esab-and that aint no competition at all...right Scott:p

Scott V
01-21-2004, 03:43 AM
Planet X even this esab could almost keep up with your 255! Of course it is made in Thailand.

Scott V
01-21-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Scott V
Planet X even this esab could almost keep up with your 255! Of course it is made in Thailand.

I mean this one.I would just love to see which welder would melt first a 250 migmaster or a 255 Lincoln,I bet I know.I would not even think of putting a Miller 251 in the mix.:eek:

DaveD
01-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Planet X.... Lincoln is located in Cleveland Ohio so I don't think that means made in USA just that they are located in the USA (for those less worldly folks that don't know where Cleveland Ohio is
:rolleyes: )

Hobweld... I think Miller sometimes has deals where they include the spoolgun for free (yeah, right, nothing is free :D ) Otherwise it seems to be a $400 ad on.

I have the Powermig 200 and as a all round hack and home user I couldn't be happier. But then again its the only MIG welder I have ever owned. Also have a esab handy 550 plasma cutter. Boy do I love big boy toys. :blob4:

Planet X
01-27-2004, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveD
[B]Planet X.... Lincoln is located in Cleveland Ohio so I don't think that means made in USA just that they are located in the USA (for those less worldly folks that don't know where Cleveland Ohio is

DaveD, My point was that Lincoln does not use the flag as a 'value' added label/sticker as some others do with their welders.

This machine(PM255) was/is assembled/made here. Not all of the parts used are 100% USA made however. Will dig up e-mails to Lincoln.:cool:

Planet X
01-28-2004, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveD
[B]Planet X.... Lincoln is located in Cleveland Ohio so I don't think that means made in USA just that they are located in the USA (for those less worldly folks that don't know where Cleveland Ohio is

Here is that E-mail DavidD
Thank you for your interest in Lincoln Electric and its products. The
question you asked; which one of the following models is made & or
assembled in Cleveland, OH ?
Powermig 255
Powermig 300
Invertec 350
Precision Tig 275

All of the above welders are made and assembled in Cleveland, Ohio.

If you have additional questions, we suggest you call our toll free number
888 921 9353, extension #1. We are here Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to
5:00 PM, Eastern Time. Please feel free to call.
We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Technical Sales Dept.

4u21der
04-02-2004, 08:06 PM
FOUND A LINCOLN 200 NIB FOR $1028.00; IS THIS A GOOD BUY

Planet X
04-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by 4u21der
FOUND A LINCOLN 200 NIB FOR $1028.00; IS THIS A GOOD BUY

The Powermig 215 which is the model that replaced the PM200, is $1,143.50....

Depends how tight the tool budget is aPM255 is $1,491.50 and has the same footprint of the first two machines, but gives you much more capabilitys.

Big rig guy and a couple others on this board have the PM200, perhaps e-mail them and they can give you a firsthand opinion.

big rig guy
04-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Well I am happy with mine, but for a extra 100.00 you could get a new PM 215 with warranty.

Dan
04-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Planet X
The Powermig 215 which is the model that replaced the PM200, is $1,143.50....

Depends how tight the tool budget is aPM255 is $1,491.50 and has the same footprint of the first two machines, but gives you much more capabilitys.

Big rig guy and a couple others on this board have the PM200, perhaps e-mail them and they can give you a firsthand opinion.

Planetx,

I haven t asked for a price quote yet on a PM 255, but I was wondering were you got the $1500 price tag from? The best i ve seen so far online is slightly under $1600.

Planet X
04-03-2004, 12:57 PM
They used to be lower, but Lincoln seems to have raised prices. weldingsupply.com (http://www.weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF:OR:K1693-1)

JMcKeone
04-05-2004, 11:45 AM
I just go my PM255 for $1590 shipped from Indiana Oxygen Supply, they have an Ebay store. Heres a pic if your bored:

http://www.mckeone.net/photos/welder/powermig/P3250013.JPG

Fubeca
04-05-2004, 12:52 PM
I got my PM255 for $1490 with a free 40lb spool of wire. I looked at all the e-bay stuff but my local supplier beat them all :D

John C
04-06-2004, 07:02 AM
I bought a PM215 a couple months ago & it does a great job for what it is ( a 215,no more - no less).
The best thing I could've done was to save up a little more money and go for a 250 or larger. I have normally run the Miller 250 & 251 & you can really tell the difference.

Hobweld
04-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Well the PM255 won out. I looked at both the miller and lincoln side by side and the lincoln took the cake with the features I liked and the drive roll system. I am kind of limited to weekends using it right now but it sure is sweet. Thanks for all the imput. Ken