PDA

View Full Version : Join the Guard?

Addicted2Fusion
01-31-2008, 05:13 AM
I cannot afford to go to welding school. I would love to be able to go to Hobart or Lincoln. Does anyone know anything about military funding? Thought about joining the Army National Guard if I could get them to pay for my education. Any input or thoughts on the situation is appreciated.

tresi
01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
If you're wanting to join for the chance of your benefits covering the cost of a public welding school it could happen but it would be years in comming. Now if you're wanting uncle sam to pay for eduaction and willing to make the commitment go see if any branch of the full time service can get up a slot as a welder.

84zmike
01-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Join to serve your country....yes there are benefits...I spent 8 ys in the Marines myself....I did and do enjoy the benefits, but that was not my motivation to do it....be very careful when you talk with a rec....especially an Army or guard one....yes I was a recruiter myself and I know from personal experience they will tell you a lie in a heart beat...I had to on several occasions call them out in front of kids as well as parent on a few things. If needed I can pm you my # and talk with you one on one about some of the ins and outs.
Mike

Addicted2Fusion
01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah I have heard they tell you anything to get you in there. I appreciate it 84zmike. It is an option I am keeping open at the time. I will definitely get a hold of you before I would talk to a recruiter. Thank you again very much.

txfireguy2003
01-31-2008, 05:35 PM
You can get some GREAT training through the Guard. My cousin's husband joined, thinking he would be a mechanic, they trained him to be a weldor and he's DA*N good at it now. However, he's been to Iraq twice since he joined up. I think it's a great thing to do for your country, but if you don't want to, or don't think you can deal with going to Iraq, I'd think twice. Virtually every guardsman I know, and I know a bunch of them through work, has been over there at least once.

lewray
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
I did my stint in the Navy and no regrets whatsoever:nono:

Loved it.

Burnit
02-02-2008, 10:23 AM
...be very careful when you talk with a rec....especially an Army one.... I know from personal experience they will tell you a lie in a heart beat...

Yes, mine was a lying bastard. Watchout! Do not join to learn to weld. Join because you want to and dont really care what job you end up with in a year.

stevinator
02-02-2008, 01:12 PM
I would think one of the schools could tell you how to finance it just like college.Should be some type of funding or low interest loans available.In this climate only join the military with the idea of going to war even in the guard.Our units around here go quite frequently.Listen to Burnit, only join because you want to.

Roy Hodges
02-03-2008, 02:46 AM
these guys are pretty much correct about recruiters. I did my time in U S A F , 1958-1962. THE Air Force has (had) their own welding school. I only learned that, after i had already went to recip engine school. The welders in the welding shop at Hamilton A F B , Ca. Had it made , for a G.I. ( only two in there, also with 2 civilians ) the airmen did all the welding , the civil service "welders" did paperwork. I bet the military STILL has their own welding schools . And (in Air Force) they qualify for aircraft welding . P S : My welding Instructor at Mare Island Naval shipyard ( apprenticeship )was a retired Navy SEA-BEE welder . I consider him as one of the greatest all round welders who EVER LIVED (and great instructor as well)

russellmn
02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Army here, still in the Guards, 3 deployments now... DO NOT join for the college. That is the dead wrong reason for joining the military!!!!! Join it cause it's your duty, join it cause you love the USA, but not for the college. Remember, you will have to pay for that college one way or another...
That said, joining the Army was the best thing I ever did. If you're seriously interested, it will make a man out of you like nothing else can. I went Infantry... don't do that unless you're a little crazy, we have welders, even in the Guards. Sign up for something like that, something you can use on the civilian side.

Good luck, if you join up you won't regret it, just make sure it's for the right reasons.

Russell

Jolly Roger
02-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I was Army for 8 years. For me it was something I just had to do. Had to find out if I was tough enough. Turned out to be tougher than I ever imagined. I was a hardcore biker when I signed the line, and threw live hand grenades on my 27th birthday during basic. I got hurt and had to move on, otherwise I would have stayed as long as they would have let me. I had the coolest toys in the world, heheh, just can't talk about them. I have worked with several welders who were Navy trained and they all knew their stuff. The Navy pretty much wrote the book on welding. Tremendous technological and procedural advances came out of two world wars. I equated recruiters to used car salesmen and still do. Nephew went army as an air traffic controller, finished school, got sent to radar tech school, then spent a year in Iraq, reenlisted and just volunteered to go back. These guys are all telling you right. If all you want from it is the school money just find another way. Now if you don't mind serving your country to get it, then go for it. Just remember when you sign that line your a$$ belongs to Uncle Sam for the next 8 years and you are going to earn it. It paid for two degrees for me, and now it pays for a lot more than just college like it did when I went in. Trade schools, certifications, and a few other things, can't remember them all as they weren't an option for me. Two other things to think about: hire on as a welders helper somewhere, or get in an apprenticeship program (that is how most of us old hands did it, there just weren't any schools for it). Quite a few companies have those now and some even have their own welding schools as well. I would imagine those require a contract, but not sure.