PDA

View Full Version : Question for weldersales

deadman1474
02-10-2008, 11:22 PM
I have a holbart 180 mig welder. And when I turn on the argon tank the pressure going to the welder just jumps up all the way and it dosent regulate it at all. Do you have any diagrams for this or would warranty cover this thanks, Cody

Me!
02-10-2008, 11:35 PM
The regulator on a MIG is not a pressure regulator, it regulates volume. It has a preset pressure. The two gages should be CFM or CFH and this is adjustable, and tank pressure.

Also you need to set the regulator with gas flowing...
If you have no gas flow it will not be able to go back down once you have turned it up.

weldersales
02-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Me! is exactly right for the little Smith regulator that I believe came with the Hobart 180. On the other hand if there is a problem, warranty will cover it. Actually, the theory is to deliver a known pressure to a small, known hole size - a 'metered orfice' they call it. If you look into the output fitting you will see a very small hole, about .010 as I recall. The output gauge actually measures pressure right before that orfice which is proportional to the out volume per unit time, assuming there is little or no pressure restriction. Quick and dirty, in other words. weldersales
As Paul McCready put it so well " sometimes quick and dirty is the way to go."

deadman1474
02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
The regulator on a MIG is not a pressure regulator, it regulates volume. It has a preset pressure. The two gages should be CFM or CFH and this is adjustable, and tank pressure.

Also you need to set the regulator with gas flowing...
If you have no gas flow it will not be able to go back down once you have turned it up.
I beleave that is what happend someone cranked on it with the gas off. Is there any way to fix it.

weldersales
02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Turning flow rate up without gas flowing shouldn't hurt a thing. In fact, that's one of the nice things about the metered orfice machine - you can adjust rate without gas flowing. If what is bothering you is that the needle won't come down since there is nowhere for gas to go, just trigger machine or mechanically loosen fitting to release pressure. Assuming we understand the problem. weldersales

Me!
02-11-2008, 11:49 PM
How about a picture?