PDA

View Full Version : Welding Instruction in Portland Oregon area

trscott
03-11-2008, 04:07 AM
Poked around here some, but haven't seen any suggestions for this:

I am a novice welder. currently own a Hypertherm PMX600, Miller AC/DC stick welder, and an O/A Gas rig. I want to get a 200A AC/DC TIG Inverter welder.

Applications are farm, auto restoration, hobby.

I learn well from reading, although I know the limits of that, but I've read about everything I can get my hands on. One of the most interesting books I've got is "Monster Garage -- How to weld damn near anything".

I have done a ton of plasma cutting, cut out 900 pounds of tractor wheel weights from 3/8" plate, plus removing about 90 feet of stitch welded big angle iron (1/2"x3"x3" angle iron) from the plate first. Made a circle cutter for this job. Half a dozen other jobs, cutting parts from templates to fabricate things. I love plasma cutting, the PMX600 is a dream machine.

I have taught myself to stick weld heavier stuff, 1/8" and up with fair success, nothing pretty mind you, but strong enough for tractor parts. Maybe a dozen hours of arc time total. Still struggle with striking the arc without sticking the electrode, and not great at controlling the puddle, but sometimes I surprise myself. Just need more arc time to get better, and maybe some pointers.

Not much time with the gas rig, inherited the torches from Dad and bought the gas mainly to braze steel hydraulic lines.

Now I have a lot of automotive restoration work I want to do with my son. I need to do a lot of rusted sheet metal replacement. I believe I can learn TIG pretty easily, but I have more time now and would kind of like to get some real instruction.

I see there are some classes at the local community college, and one local high school has some trade technical classes. Probably some commercial classes around, but haven't found those yet.

I mainly want to learn TIG, but wouldn't mind some instruction with Stick, MIG, and Gas too.

I have decades of experience with electronics, countless hours of high precision fine detail soldering, and quite a bit of time with copper pipe soldering. Which is to say, I believe I have a very good understanding of heat flow and understand (at least intellectually, which can take some time to translate into physical skill) the idea of controlling the puddle, dabbing filler, etc. I like the idea with TIG of separating the fill control from the arc/puddle control (as opposed to stick or MIG). Nothing I am doing is on the clock, so the faster speed of MIG is not terribly important, but clean welds, without excessive filler, that are well penetrated, would be my goal. TIG seems like just the ticket.

I welcome comments on any part of this, and especially any recommendations for instruction in the Portland Oregon (or Newberg, Sherwood, Tualatin, Tigard, Wilsonville) area.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Brainfarth
04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I would pick up a used machine and see what you can figure out.
You could pickup a job with Harris Thermal and pass their 2g 316 s.s. to A-36 steel on 3/8" plate test with .045 308 spray to get onboard. Then you could play with their tig machines. There are quite a few tallented tig welders there.
I'm not aware of any programs in Yamhill county, rather, haven't heard of anyone taking any classes out this way (I'm located in Newberg as well).
Every so often I take a trip to west Mac to do some small jobs for a friend that has a 250 millermatic. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you farted around on his machine a bit. I mostly go out there to fart around, shoot things and drink beer.
You might be able to work part time for Mac Welding and play with their machines on the side.
Just some ideas.
Oh yeah, that book sounds pretty interesting.
-Mike

qaqc
04-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Try mt hood cc or chemetika (sp)cc they both have welding programs. This will probably be the best bet in our area. Also, try going to an AWS meeting in Portland. You don't have to be a member to attend. It's good networking. Maybe you'll find someone to let you practice.

dkalleck
12-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Poked around here some, but haven't seen any suggestions for this:

I am a novice welder. currently own a Hypertherm PMX600, Miller AC/DC stick welder, and an O/A Gas rig. I want to get a 200A AC/DC TIG Inverter welder.

Applications are farm, auto restoration, hobby.

I learn well from reading, although I know the limits of that, but I've read about everything I can get my hands on. One of the most interesting books I've got is "Monster Garage -- How to weld damn near anything".

I have done a ton of plasma cutting, cut out 900 pounds of tractor wheel weights from 3/8" plate, plus removing about 90 feet of stitch welded big angle iron (1/2"x3"x3" angle iron) from the plate first. Made a circle cutter for this job. Half a dozen other jobs, cutting parts from templates to fabricate things. I love plasma cutting, the PMX600 is a dream machine.

I have taught myself to stick weld heavier stuff, 1/8" and up with fair success, nothing pretty mind you, but strong enough for tractor parts. Maybe a dozen hours of arc time total. Still struggle with striking the arc without sticking the electrode, and not great at controlling the puddle, but sometimes I surprise myself. Just need more arc time to get better, and maybe some pointers.

Not much time with the gas rig, inherited the torches from Dad and bought the gas mainly to braze steel hydraulic lines.

Now I have a lot of automotive restoration work I want to do with my son. I need to do a lot of rusted sheet metal replacement. I believe I can learn TIG pretty easily, but I have more time now and would kind of like to get some real instruction.

I see there are some classes at the local community college, and one local high school has some trade technical classes. Probably some commercial classes around, but haven't found those yet.

I mainly want to learn TIG, but wouldn't mind some instruction with Stick, MIG, and Gas too.

I have decades of experience with electronics, countless hours of high precision fine detail soldering, and quite a bit of time with copper pipe soldering. Which is to say, I believe I have a very good understanding of heat flow and understand (at least intellectually, which can take some time to translate into physical skill) the idea of controlling the puddle, dabbing filler, etc. I like the idea with TIG of separating the fill control from the arc/puddle control (as opposed to stick or MIG). Nothing I am doing is on the clock, so the faster speed of MIG is not terribly important, but clean welds, without excessive filler, that are well penetrated, would be my goal. TIG seems like just the ticket.

I welcome comments on any part of this, and especially any recommendations for instruction in the Portland Oregon (or Newberg, Sherwood, Tualatin, Tigard, Wilsonville) area.

Thanks!

Cheers!

PCC has a good welding program. I'm there now for my Associates degree in welding. The book we use is pretty intensive. "Welding Principles and Applications" by Larry Jeffus