PDA

View Full Version : Fronius - anyone have experience with these?

trscott
03-14-2008, 01:44 AM
http://www3.fronius.com/worldwide/usa/products/mw2200.htm

These look like VERY good products. Recomended to me by a co-worker who is genuine power electronics GURU. He knows more about IGBTs and MosFets and power design than any engineer I've worked with in three decades in the electronics industry. He told me he was very impressed with the technology they use and recomends their products very highly.

I haven't gotten a price from them yet, I emailed a query today, but I am expecting them to be very expensive.

Very cool though!

Anybody want to buy me one of these? :D

Cheers!

trscott
03-14-2008, 01:59 AM
Here's a link to a good tech article on their web site:

http://www.fronius.com/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-0AFF0106-B87670E4/fronius_international/07_tig_einsatz_neuer_technologien_beim_wig_schweis sen_gb.pdf

Be patient, it took awhile to download for me, but interesting reading.

Or maybe I'm just easily entertained...

<grin>

Cheers!

03-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Please post the prices when you get them. Being a German company I would expect the prices to be a little higher but usually the quality will be there to support the higher price.

chevyman_de
03-14-2008, 01:57 PM
Actually they're an Austrian company.
They make very fine welders. I've bought a used Fronius MIG (about 20 years old), very reliable, built like a tank and welds very good. And all spare parts still available...

Will be interesting to see the price for the MW 2200 in the U.S., looking at their prices in Germany I would expect the first digit to be a 5 without taxes, a high 4 when you're lucky.

Cheers!

03-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Actually they're an Austrian company.

I knew from the owners name I was close :blush2:

trscott
03-14-2008, 06:31 PM
I knew from the owners name I was close :blush2:

Yes, I think my friend told me they were Austrian, which makes sense, because he has worked with some power engineers in Austria and probably heard about what they were doing from his friends there.

I didn't hear anything back from them today even though I left an email sales inquiry yesterday. It shouldn't be very hard to reply with a five line email that gives some pricing. I expected to hear from them today. Must have more customers than they need? <grin> I will give them a couple more days.

I get the impression they are very protective of their IP and a bit (we would say) "stand-off-ish." Sort of keeping prospective customers at arms length.

By comparison the Lincoln and Miller web sites give you retail pricing right on their web sites, and many vendors put the owners manufal PDF right on the product information web site available for download.

It is like they are so proud of how unique their products are that they don't want to go into very much detail describing it until you've become accepted as a qualified customer or something. Interesting.

There is not a very complete list of the features and menu options to understand the operation of this system thoroughly. For instance they say the frequency is adjustable, but not over what range. It says it has pulse capability, but no indication of the range of pulse duty cycle, frequency, or pulse amperage range, etc.

On the plus side, 38.3 pounds is very attractive, and 220 amps peak output is pretty nice too. 230Vac 16amps input is pretty amazing efficiency. I can see why my friend was inpressed with their power electronics technology. I believe they are probably pretty "bulletproof." I suppose if I welded for a living, and made really good money doing it, maybe cost would not matter.

trscott
03-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Well, it turns out they have a rep in town who was in my time zone, so I did get a quote in 24 hrs. Cool! I take back the mean things I said... <grin>

My expectations about cost were about right, almost $7500 for a water cooled, and just under $6k for air cooled. Or deduct another $670 or so to get a 170amp instead of the 220 amp; making it still over $5k for aircooled.

I am taking applications for the really generous soul who wants to buy one of these for me... :blush:

Very cool machine though...

Cheers!

I guess it works out to this:
220 water-cooled kit 7424.31
220 air-cooled kit 5876.31

170 water-cooled kit 6746.31
170 air-cooled kit 5198.31

http://trscott.smugmug.com/photos/265768738_7QR5v-O.jpg

ddog
03-14-2008, 08:39 PM
I like them alot!!! they run really smooth.I took my last vertcal up test with outersheild 71 elite with that machine and I was impressed due to I am a die hard lincoln guy.

platypus20
03-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Before Miller brought out the Maxstar 150 series of welders, they sold a Maxstar 140, which was built for Miller by Fronius, I've used their stick welders on and off for about 10 years, excellent machines, their top of the line mig and tig machine are in a world of their own, totally top notch.

Jack