PDA

View Full Version : so no one uses Clarke???

sen2two
03-17-2008, 10:08 PM
so why does no on here but me seem to have a Clarke welder???

do they suck?

littlefuzz
03-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Because this is a "Professional Welding Forum" :D I've had good luck with other Clarke products, I've never tried the welder though. I have tried some of the other cheap 110's like CH and they suck!

tom37
03-18-2008, 12:51 AM
I have a 180en. The only complaint that I have is the torch is only 6 feet long. Thanks to a Hobart member I called Daytona Mig, the tech told me it has a strong drive in it and there would not be any issues with feeding thru a 10 foot torch. So I have it on the way and have a good tweco style torch to put on my cheep dual mig 151. With the clarke set for mig on co2 I would probally stop at 3/16 max but wouldnt blink an eye to weld on 5/16 with flux. In fact I was very happy when I first ran it with the flux it was very smoth holding a crisp arc thru the weld. Unlike welding with the co2, when the steel isnt really clean. I belive thats the nature tho. Most of the steel I get is free so I spend alot of time cleaning. Its nice not having a smoke filled garage.

All in all I am happy with the clarke but Im sure that after I get to use a big miller or hobart I probally wont wana go back. But for now and for the money Im happy.

So for the price if a HH187 I have a very portable 120 amp welder to use in the field with flux and a 180 amp to use co2 with at home.

I actually used the HF welder to extend the frame on an old trailer 3/16 angle. I know I know it has to be raod worthy and safe. I felt that betweet the top rail and the fish plate that I put on it, that if it was to come unglued I would have a little notice. Since then my moms boy friend has loaded it over and over again with scaffol and stone. If I wasnt carefull when welding it I would burn thru the angle.

I am no pro by any means but I have a pretty fair amount of common sence, and would never leave something unsafe....

Tom

mr2turbo7
03-18-2008, 11:50 PM
I had the Crafstman welder which is a Clarke. I made a lot of money with that little Clarke. It is a much better machine when you run Flux core through it.

tommyj3
03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
I have the Clarke 130EN and it is just as good as any of the 110v mig welders you can buy. They all have there limitations and you have to use some common sense with the materials you weld.

arms70
02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Whats the problem with running gas with the clarke? I picked up a craftsman and been running flux core. Havent had a problem with the machine, did quite a bit with it actually, and it's making me money

Ken Dennis
02-13-2009, 11:28 AM
My first introduction to mig "or better yet, a wire welder" was a small 110volt Clarke that I bought at Sam's club back in 1991.
It had 4 heat settings, low, high and 1&2, and I think it was only a 90 amp model, but I did a fair amount of welding with that little booger!
Being the first wire feeder that I ever had, it was a learning experience, to get the heat and wire speed set to where I could make an acceptable weld with it, but after a bit of practice, it wasn't difficult, and seemed to work fairly well for what it was made for!
I used it for about 3 years until I sold it to my dad and bought a Lincoln to replace it, only because I needed a bit more versatility.
My dad sold it to my oldest brother a few years back, and he is still using it today.
It has never needed any work done to it, it has held up very well over the years.

Ken.

specter
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
If your still looking for info on clarke go to the upper right corner of the forum window and type in clarke in the SEARCH FORUMS you'll come up with three (3) pages of info

David R
02-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Ken Dennis, how does the clarke compare to the lincoln?

David :)

Ken Dennis
02-13-2009, 09:04 PM
I didn't see much difference in the arc characteristics but the Lincoln seemed to have a wider sweet spot, the Lincoln had 135 amps, where the Clarke had 90 of course, the Lincoln had a better gun and drive system, but at several hundred dollars more for the Lincoln, it better of had something that was better!

The Lincoln was prettier, how bout that! :rolleyes:

welderShane
02-14-2009, 12:52 PM
I not sure on thier welders. But i have their (new version) 14 cut off saw and it never failed yet. Nice good saw!!

Scott Young
02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Because this is a "Professional Welding Forum" :D

now that would be a great forum...but the last forum that was like that was infiltrated by spammers disguised as two companies that sold chinese junk.

Hammer
02-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Im using a 130en. Ive been welding for 25+ years and this machine welds as well as any in its amp class. Consumables are easy to find and even thought the machine lacks the infinite adjustment like larger machine have, you can do good things with it. Im building a custom GS750 Suzuki and I just welded in a single backbone. This is the heart of the structure of the bike and its all welded in with this little 110 machine
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/hammerworx/Bike%20Stuff/th_Stuff008.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v691/hammerworx/Bike%20Stuff/?action=view&current=Stuff008.jpg)
Its all done with .035 flux core but Ill swap out that for some .023 when I start the exhaust and sheet metal work.

Rojodiablo
02-16-2009, 12:26 AM
now that would be a great forum...but the last forum that was like that was infiltrated by spammers disguised as two companies that sold chinese junk.

Hey..HEY!!! We resemble that remark.........:( a-holes with 60 grit sandpaper rubbing it in......:laugh::realmad:

Scott Young
02-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey..HEY!!! We resemble that remark.........:( a-holes with 60 grit sandpaper rubbing it in......:laugh::realmad:

60 grit???? i thought i was using a 36 grit pad.

metalmeltr
02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
I saw some at menards and both the guns and the ground clamps looked like pieces of shi* that tells me some thing about the rest of the welder

svd
02-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I have a 10 year old 100EN, and it still works great.

henrym
03-01-2009, 04:11 AM
little weird thing I stumbled upon while looking around... apparently Clarke is going out of business!?!?

search on google, some places are liquidating their stuff, and a lot has sold out I think.